P1000 Considering a P1K

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been looking for a SxS. I will be using it at high altitudes ( I live at 8400ft.) and will be using it above that altitude. Mostly in snow during winter. Will have a dog box in the bed with 3-5 dogs.
Looking for opinions from those that have used theirs in similar situations.
What kind of mileage are you getting from a tank of gas. Type of tires for snow? Any blowback into the cab? Any clutch issues? Thanks for any info.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the forum... Someone else will have to answer your question... I'm only at 1400ft.. lol

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been looking for a SxS. I will be using it at high altitudes ( I live at 8400ft.) and will be using it above that altitude. Mostly in snow during winter. Will have a dog box in the bed with 3-5 dogs.
Looking for opinions from those that have used theirs in similar situations.
What kind of mileage are you getting from a tank of gas. Type of tires for snow? Any blowback into the cab? Any clutch issues? Thanks for any info.
Welcome to the club. I don't know my tank mileage. The big horns that come on it ar pretty good in the snow if you get the deluxe. With a windshield and top the snow will blow back. No clutch issues whatsoever.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Does very good in the snow due to being true 4wd. Some of the other brands don't lock-in the nose till the rear end slips but with the Honda it's true. The transmission works great as well in the snow there is no fear of getting belts wet and being stranded. I'll be surprised if tracks don't become widely used on this machine it almost seems made for them and has plenty of power and coupled with low range it would be perfect. There have been some clutch issues in the beginning but have seemed to work out great on the newer rigs and seems to be very far in between but as of now the manufacturer has taken care of any that we have seen. Because of the design of the intake I think it's best if being in snow especially light powder at speeds for long periods of time to use a snorkel on this rig because of the design of front intake. Not positive on snow mileage but it does do better then most all other vehicles we've owned including some quads and has a massive tank so I'd say very good distance but it's not going to be double or anything crazy. Blowback into the cab is no worse I guess then any other you do get it occasionally and not sure if you're planning an enclosure or not but in your situation I'd consider glass windshield/wiper and mud buster fender flares at least. I hope this has been somewhat helpful however we do not live at that altitude but use the machine at all times of the year and being where we live get plenty of snow and are continually at high elevations with this machine. I can't imagine owning anything else now. We've owned quite a few rigs and until Honda got serious we like others were forced to drive crap. Don't miss belts AT ALL and LOVE THE AUTO. I'm a true Honda guy but not because my neighbor told me so. We only have so much money to spread around and greatly appreciate quality and dependability and continue to see that in this brand over any other and the p1k5 is not only fun but a true workhorse. Very multi purpose.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you CP. I would get the 3 seat model because I would never use the back seats as they will be covered up with the dog box. I would definitely get a roof, windshield and fender flares to help control the snow. Tracks are a definite possibility as we have two sets now on a couple other machines.

Anyone with any experience at altitude?

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!