P1000 Coolant Drain Plugs

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Page 9-5 of the service manual shows a couple of pictures of drain plugs that are removed to drain the coolant.
Where are these plugs located? I can't figure out where they are from the pictures.

Reactions: Mopower58
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The bikes that have drain plugs they are towards the back of the hard lines under the floor.
However I think they got dropped for some of the later bikes.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020, I'll look take a closer look there.
If it doesn't have the plugs, how do you drain the coolant?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Why are u draining your coolant?
how many miles do u have?

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has 2000 miles on it. Manual says to change it every two years regardless of mileage.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
You can loosen the rear hose clamps and pop the hose off the hard line.
It's going to be messy.
Personally, I would consider dropping the skid plate to make getting an oil drain pan in there.
Full disclosure, I have a P500 so the p1k may present different challenges.
And my stock skid plate would have been easier to remove, now I have a full width skid that is a little more unwieldly.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Has 2000 miles on it. Manual says to change it every two years regardless of mileage.
Not entirely true. Its in there to make u think about it so u check it and or for u to get your steelership some of ur hard earned money lol.
Go to Autozone or order one on Amazon, get u a coolant tester and just do a quick acid test and if it tests good, you saved yourself alot of time, mess and money. Mine is a 16’ 5k miles, I test it every time I change the oil just like you should when you do on your truck. Its still 👌

Another pice of advice, when your responding to someones question, hit the “reply” under there question and then answer. If you fail to fo so, most people will never know you responded.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not entirely true. Its in there to make u think about it so u check it and or for u to get your steelership some of ur hard earned money lol.
Go to Autozone or order one on Amazon, get u a coolant tester and just do a quick acid test and if it tests good, you saved yourself alot of time, mess and money. Mine is a 16’ 5k miles, I test it every time I change the oil just like you should when you do on your truck. Its still 👌

Another pice of advice, when your responding to someones question, hit the “reply” under there question and then answer. If you fail to fo so, most people will never know you responded.
Like that answer :)and will check before replacing.
And thanks for the reply advice, I was wondering how others were able to include a reply from someone.

Reactions: CID and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
And thanks for the reply advice, I was wondering how others were able to include a reply from someone.
No problem. Anytime

let us know how it turns out when u test it

Reactions: trigger
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Page 9-5 of the service manual shows a couple of pictures of drain plugs that are removed to drain the coolant.
Where are these plugs located? I can't figure out where they are from the pictures.
I have a 2016. When I replaced my skid plate and replaced all the lubricants, those plugs were in the metal lines down low. I changed my coolant and reinstalled with Honda Blue 50/50 from Advanced Auto. Took a gallon including the coolant reservoir.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016. When I replaced my skid plate and replaced all the lubricants, those plugs were in the metal lines down low. I changed my coolant and reinstalled with Honda Blue 50/50 from Advanced Auto. Took a gallon including the coolant reservoir.
👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Expanding on Remi’s tip, you can also tag someone if you want to Alert them to something and there isn’t a post to reply to. Simply add a @ in front of their username - @CID and they’ll get an Alert. Spelling has to be exact or it won’t work. If you want to @CID ‘s post, you have to add the space between the CID and ‘s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been thinking about changing mine out lately too but after some research I'm going to let it ride.

The amount of dilution depended on the climate the vehicle would be operated in. In the northern states the coolant would be mixed about 30% water to 70% coolant. Here in Tennessee, a 50 / 50 mixture would be adequate for the lowest winter temperatures we could experience. The problem was tap water was usually used for mixing antifreeze / coolant and depending on where the tap water came from, there could be minerals in that tap water that could contaminate the new antifreeze / coolant mixture. These foreign minerals in the water (such as sulphur and calcium if the tap water came out of a well) could also clog-up the cooling system. Today, most antifreeze / coolant (including the Genuine Honda Type 2 coolant) is bottled in a pre-mix form.

Today, with the metal the engine block is constructed of, the purity (PH balance) and consistency of the mixture; the Honda Type 2 antifreeze has a much longer service life; 10 years initially on the factory antifreeze / coolant and then every 5 years after that. If you own a Honda or Acura vehicle, using only the Genuine Honda Type 2 coolant will save money on maintenance costs. The only reason engine coolant / antifreeze needs to ever be changed is because the corrosion inhibitors weaken after a few years.

Reactions: CID and Remington
G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never used tap water in coolant, or in the old days, batteries. I have enough iron in my water to build a car.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!