P1000m5 Coolant loss

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have noticed my rig has been running hotter than usual actually Joey even noticed it at the takeover. For some reason I am losing coolant some where I checked the bleed valve and placed new washer on it. Last night I tore the body all down again as usual, I am working on some other cooling solutions anyhow and placing temp probes on some key areas to test variables. I ran it for several hours and cannot locate a leak. Any thoughts?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kilo - do see the coolant under your rig or just know the levels are lower? I am sure you have cleaned out the fins of the radiator really good already.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Last night I washed the crap out of the radiator night before I ran it for 3 hours no collant on ground. When it all dries out I'm gonna run it again see what it looks like but level in reservoir was 3-4 inches lower just from sitting all night. Don't see any coming from weep on pump either. Next step would be putting some dye in I suppose. Unless it's a head gasket I guess but i have noticed no loss of power or unusual exhaust.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Get a coolant sampling tool (some auto parts places rent them). They will detect combustion gasses in the coolant. Great way to check for head / head gasket issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's wierd, a head gasket won't always show in the exhaust. Maybe send your oil in for analysis too. Could be leaking into the crankcase. Checked your oil level lately.

Reactions: elkaholic
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah it's at level I left It. I plan on changing oil soon as I find the damn oil plug that had a fancy magnet on the mm cause it had some much metal flake in it last change. I did change it twice righ before the last ride and will be doing that soon. Where do you send oil to?

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'd have to google it up, there are a number of companies you can send it off to.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Try a Catipiller dealer, the y normally can test oils.
Also i had a 2005 Chevy that water was leaking into the valve train of the heads. It would loose water into this area and would evapoate. Only sign was milky look on bottom of PCV valve.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Check your compression my front cylinder was down ten pounds and the radiator looked like a miniature Old Faithful with the cap off.

advertisement
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah it's at level I left It. I plan on changing oil soon as I find the damn oil plug that had a fancy magnet on the mm cause it had some much metal flake in it last change. I did change it twice righ before the last ride and will be doing that soon. Where do you send oil to?

I use Blackstone. I think they are like $27 and they will send you a free sample mailing kit.

When you find the oil plug, let us know the original application. I am thinking a Toyota Land Cruiser or pickup / Tacoma plug might fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have noticed my rig has been running hotter than usual actually Joey even noticed it at the takeover. For some reason I am losing coolant some where I checked the bleed valve and placed new washer on it. Last night I tore the body all down again as usual, I am working on some other cooling solutions anyhow and placing temp probes on some key areas to test variables. I ran it for several hours and cannot locate a leak. Any thoughts?

I have a 2016 that I bought 'new' a couple of months ago. After a trip up the mt.6 miles and back on a 100 degree day,it over heated and died. Wouldn't even turn over. I waited several hours for it cooled down and it fired right up. Coolant was empty in the overflow tank. It seems Honda does not 'burp' these rigs prior to delivery. The plumbing is such that air is often trapped in the system. On another forum it is suggested to raise the front end as high as possible with a floor jack and run the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. This may need to be done several times to clear all the air out of the system.
I did this on mine a few days ago after it over heated the second time. Not sure I have solved the problem yet.
Further, due to the heat in the rear of the front seat (a known common problem), I placed a 1/4" felt layer with reflective sheeting on one side under the seat and up, tucking it behind the back rest portion of the seat. (I saw this in a post awhile back and it solved the 'hot seat' problem.) The difference I made (and it may have caused my heating issue) is that I place the reflective side of the insulation product down thus reflecting the engine heat back on the engine. Yesterday I reversed this. Not sure if it will solve the over heat engine problem.
Also, I have ordered a 4" dia. 'bilge' fan rated at 270 CFM that I will place under the seat to push the hot air out the rear of the engine compartment. I plan to cut a 4" hole in front to the seat area (just where the center riders calves would be) thus taking cooler air from the cabin area 6" above the floor and forcing it on to the engine cylinder area.
I also have a call into Honda via my dealer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!