P1000 Coolant

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Now that you had your Pioneer 1000 for 2 years how many people have changed their antifreeze

Reactions: BWAF
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is it critical to use Honda coolant? It is pricey, and not sure it's any different than the coolant in my Chevy. Had boil over and had to add water. The coolant finally burped, and no issues since, even in climbing at 104 degrees.

Reactions: BWAF and Plumber32
Z

Zbugsii

Feb 24, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on changing mine sometime soon, but will change it with Evans waterless coolant. I use this in most all of my vehicles and find it to be excellent. It does not cause pressure buildup... causing failures on other stuff. Just have to figure out the best way to make the system un-pressurized, which I normally do by removing the spring and plunger from the radiator cap and just let the cap cover it and then it can vent directly to the overflow tank. Works like a charm!

Z

Zbugsii

Feb 24, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, not really.... if you look at how and why waterless coolant works... you will see that it is way much better than watered coolant. Waterless coolant will not boil where watered will. Thus, if it gets too hot in a specific section of your engine, the water will boil right there and cause the coolant to loose contact with the engine wall, making the hot spot get even hotter. Waterless coolant boils at something like 375 plus degrees... if your engine gets that hot it is toast anyway and some serious issues and problems.

J

JTW

So let’s say you get a leak on the trail or have a boil over for some reason... you’re screwed. With a conventional pressure system that’s been around since the 20’s? 30’s?? You can fill from a cooler, water bottles, even a creek if you had to. I think it’s a bad idea on an off-road vehicle.

advertisement
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Never mind all the fancy stuff. Can GM Dexcool be used in the P-1000? I always carry a gallon with me when I'm in the boonies in my truck. I carry 3 gallons of water in the pac for emergencies on the Pioneer.

J

JTW

Never mind all the fancy stuff. Can GM Dexcool be used in the P-1000? I always carry a gallon with me when I'm in the boonies in my truck. I carry 3 gallons of water in the pac for emergencies on the Pioneer.
I’ve used the all color stuff in mine

T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just changed my coolant today on my 1000. Went with engine ice. Put what seems to be the recommended amounts back in. Will it burp like a car? Or is there a bleeder screw I need to find?

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pull it up on a steep hill and take the cap off.. let it heat up and the thermostats will open and it will burp. There is a bleeder but it’s easier to just raise the front end.
How hard is it to get to this bleeder? Can i take off the back seat and get to it? I tried pulling it onto oil change ramps but that didn't work. But just now re reading ur post u said u had to take off radiator cap to do it this way correct?

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
How hard is it to get to this bleeder? Can i take off the back seat and get to it? I tried pulling it onto oil change ramps but that didn't work. But just now re reading ur post u said u had to take off radiator cap to do it this way correct?
Yep, pull it up on a hill and remove the cap. Check the level and add coolant as necessary as it burps the air out.

J

JTW

This method will generally do the trick... however we had one in Moab that just wouldn’t burp right like this.

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This method will generally do the trick... however we had one in Moab that just wouldn’t burp right like this.
Took radiator cap off mine and started it up just now. It’s on ramps and it just started coming out the top of radiator within one minute. Guess I’ll be using the bleed screw...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!