P500 Cooling Fan Quit.......

P

PioneerPapaw

Oct 6, 2017
N. Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My less than year old Pioneer 500 overheated yesterday, under little strain.....Its not fuse, now what?? Warranty is about out, guess I better carry it in....Had a Warn winch issue 2 weeks ago and was shopped then...May have not hooked back something, idk I'm getting POd, I bought thing because of Honda reliability.....

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Assuming you haven't taken it back in yet and handy with an OHM meter, then I would find out if power is getting to the fan, so you eliminate whether or not the fan is actually bad or not. I suspect, however, you are correct a wire is likely off and no power getting to the fan.

D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
My less than year old Pioneer 500 overheated yesterday, under little strain.....Its not fuse, now what?? Warranty is about out, guess I better carry it in....Had a Warn winch issue 2 weeks ago and was shopped then...May have not hooked back something, idk I'm getting POd, I bought thing because of Honda reliability.....
I had the same problem shortly after getting my 2015 500. I realized the fan was not coming on. Problem was a loss connector in wiring next to fan motor. When I wiggled it and tightened connector fan would come on. Taped it up tightly and no more problems.

Reactions: HUCK
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks for the note on a possible wire issue and I tend to run my unit with the dash monitor with "temperature showing" vs. gas level to watch it on a routine basis....

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the note on a possible wire issue and I tend to run my unit with the dash monitor with "temperature showing" vs. gas level to watch it on a routine basis....
Yes, me also. It is routine to start it up and press the button on the screen 4 times to get it to the temp screen. I wonder if there is a way to have the temp screen be the first screen that comes up when you start the machine? Hmmm

Reactions: tomcj2 and Chooglin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Same here, I’ve never seen mine above two bars.

Last edited:
Reactions: alloutdoors
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
FYI for the new owners, somewhat related. Had the red overheat light once, fan OK but muddy clogged radiator during Takeover ride. Now carry a 12v sprayer and water as others suggested. Trash can mod under seat is a good place for water container.
P500 - 12 v sprayer works great

Last edited:
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, me also. It is routine to start it up and press the button on the screen 4 times to get it to the temp screen.
I tried that today but it reverted back to the "Fuel Gauge" in less than a minute. According to the manual the "Temperature Gauge" automatically appears and an idiot light comes on if the engine overheats.

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I tried that today but it reverted back to the "Fuel Gauge" in less than a minute. According to the manual the "Temperature Gauge" automatically appears and an idiot light comes on if the engine overheats.
Thats odd. Mine stays on whatever screen I set it to, which is always the temp screen, until I turn the engine off. Then when I crank it back up it is automatically on the fuel screen and I hit the button 4 times again to get it to the temp screen. Mine is a 2016 though, maybe yours is different. I scoured the internet earlier today trying to find any talk of someone finding a way to have the temp screen come up first when you start it, but I found nothing.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Same here, I’ve never seen mine above two bars.
I concur, on the temp levels and rarely hear the fan kick-on which is another reason for having it displayed.....

Reactions: Montecresto
16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Thats odd. Mine stays on whatever screen I set it to, which is always the temp screen, until I turn the engine off. Then when I crank it back up it is automatically on the fuel screen and I hit the button 4 times again to get it to the temp screen. Mine is a 2016 though, maybe yours is different. I scoured the internet earlier today trying to find any talk of someone finding a way to have the temp screen come up first when you start it, but I found nothing.
I have a 2016 and its stays on the temperature screen as well. I also added a high performance cooling fan under the seat for air cooling the motor. It definitely helps on hot Florida days.
20181027 105356

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have a 2016 and its stays on the temperature screen as well. I also added a high performance cooling fan under the seat for air cooling the motor. It definitely helps on hot Florida days. View attachment 94403
I like the fan idea, so did you hook it up to come on based on a temperature or is it manual/switch control by yourself?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
It's on a toggle switch.
I did that on a Polaris Ranger years ago because the fan kicked on constantly and seat was "hot', so I wanted to provide some air movement to push it out. You may have encouraged me to install that marine fan sitting which has been sitting on the shelf :)

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a 2016 and its stays on the temperature screen as well. I also added a high performance cooling fan under the seat for air cooling the motor. It definitely helps on hot Florida days. View attachment 94403
Love the 2nd fan idea. Where abouts in Florida are you? I work in Gainesville and live in Orange Heights. I dont wanna hijack this cooling fan thread, but we are planning on a little ride at 10k in Palatka on December 2nd if you're interested

16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I did that on a Polaris Ranger years ago because the fan kicked on constantly and seat was "hot', so I wanted to provide some air movement to push it out. You may have encouraged me to install that marine fan sitting which has been sitting on the shelf :)
That's one of the reasons I installed it. Sometimes it feels like your riding a barbecue grill in the summertime.

16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Love the 2nd fan idea. Where abouts in Florida are you? I work in Gainesville and live in Orange Heights. I dont wanna hijack this cooling fan thread, but we are planning on a little ride at 10k in Palatka on December 2nd if you're interested
I'm in Clay county. I have some buddies that ride there. I definitely appreciate the invite. I'll have to check the work schedule.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!