P1000 Couple questions on sub transmission

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two quick questions on checking the sun transmission oil in my 1000-5. FIRST the maintenance schedule says to check it every 1,200 miles, but when I went to the actual section in the book it says check it before every ride. How often does everyone recommend checking that? I ride mine every day as it’s my chore machine on the farm. Seems like a lot of hassle to pull the seat and every thing every single morning. SECOND when I check the engine oil I always do the start up and idle and then let it sit shut off before pulling the engine oil dipstick, can you check the sub transmission after the machine has been running but not moved or is it best to check it when the machine has been sitting over night?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Checking the sub trans as well as the oil is kinda up to you. I usually only check my sub trans every engine ,and oil filter change. As for the engine oil I usually check it in the middle of it's service life. I know the manual also says sub trans is good for 2 yrs. I don't believe in waiting that long. I do change both front and rear diff oils in the spring and in the fall ,so twice a year. I'm going to start doing that with the sub trans as well. I did leave the sub trans for a year but after changing the oil just last week I've decided that It's going to get changed twice a year. It's also how many miles etc: plus conditions that your driving in. For my style riding winter oil changes are due every 5-6 weeks. Summer driving It's more like 3 months.
In saying this you have to decide what works best for you and how comfortable you are in checking your oils.

Sub trans is checked before I start it up and engine oil is done the way the book says.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I check my Sub-Trans oil when it drains out into the pan to be changed every other season. I don't get freaky about oil. In the case of your subtrans, if it ain't leaking, it's in there. If it went low you'd know it.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just look under the machine. If you've got something leaking you'd better check it, if not jump in and ride it. Use Amsoil synthetic in the sub trans and it will shift quieter and smoother and you'll have no problem making it 2 years. If you ride in a lot of water, you may need to change it more often. Just my opinon.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I check my subtrans periodically, every couple of hundred miles, and that is being psychotic, lol. if it was full 3 months ago and I look at it and there is no obvious signs of leakage or oil on the floor, its fine.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think Honda's check oil level procedure is inconvenient and insanely unrepeatable - warm up, turn off, wait 2 or 3 minutes, check level. Yeah, right.

I do an oil and filters change using the recommended amount of oil, start long enough to saturate filters, shut off and walk away. After sitting, usually overnight, I check the oil level with the dipstick fully screwed in (not sitting up on the threads). Now I have a baseline oil level without Honda's ridiculous procedure. I can check the oil level any time I want during the week when it's sitting on the trailer, without having to start, warm, let sit for 2 or 3 minutes. WTF? Idjits -

I Jv4qKHq XL

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a little more background for my riding style, or uses of the machine. It is a ‘21 model. I’ve had it for 14 months now and it’s at a little over 1,100 miles. Every time I’ve checked the sub and engine oil they’ve always been perfect on the mark. Machine sees zero “recreational” riding. It’s all utility riding for farm use. Sees quite a bit of pavement 35-60 mph road speeds and gravel roads, lots of dust going across fields checking crops, very very little amount of mud and water. Only water it sees is rain, wash job, and/or the occasional wet mud hole on a dirt farm road or a wet ditch crossing which typically is pretty rare and not in water above halfway up the wheels. Mud is the same way, only sees mud if the field I happen to be scouting is a little muddy. I’ve never sunk it in a mud hole or intentionally went out looking for mud or water. I do park it everytime on a concrete floor so any leaks would be easily seen if they were to occur.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check it after the dealer does and oil change for sure. My dealer forgot to put oil in the sub-trans when they changed oil. I started getting a howling noise on my first ride after the oil change, and I limped back to my trailer which was 6 miles away. They admitted their mistake and filled the oil, and so far, I've not had any issues. I hope the transmission was not damaged.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check it after the dealer does and oil change for sure. My dealer forgot to put oil in the sub-trans when they changed oil. I started getting a howling noise on my first ride after the oil change, and I limped back to my trailer which was 6 miles away. They admitted their mistake and filled the oil, and so far, I've not had any issues. I hope the transmission was not damaged.
I would for sure have the dealer put all that they did in writing . . . that way if you have a problem after warranty ends, you may have a leg to stand on. Better still would be to insist the dealer remove, inspect it. Absent that, it would be good to find out exactly what they did. If they just filled it, without flushing and filling it again, then I'd have them drain it again (with you present) and inspect the oil for metal.

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yikes! I do my own fluid and filter changes so that scenario shouldn’t be a worry for me.

Reactions: Smitty335
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does Mobil-1 have a compatible 10W-40 Synthetic for the Sub Transmission

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does Mobil-1 have a compatible 10W-40 Synthetic for the Sub Transmission
I use Mobil 1 4T Racing 10-40 in both engine and subtransmission.
I can tell a difference in less noise and quiet, quick shifting.
I also use Mobil 1- 85w - 140w Full synthetic in the differentials, too.
Not an oil thread..JMO

Last edited:
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checking the sub trans as well as the oil is kinda up to you. I usually only check my sub trans every engine ,and oil filter change. As for the engine oil I usually check it in the middle of it's service life. I know the manual also says sub trans is good for 2 yrs. I don't believe in waiting that long. I do change both front and rear diff oils in the spring and in the fall ,so twice a year. I'm going to start doing that with the sub trans as well. I did leave the sub trans for a year but after changing the oil just last week I've decided that It's going to get changed twice a year. It's also how many miles etc: plus conditions that your driving in. For my style riding winter oil changes are due every 5-6 weeks. Summer driving It's more like 3 months.
In saying this you have to decide what works best for you and how comfortable you are in checking your oils.

Sub trans is checked before I start it up and engine oil is done the way the book says.
Winter oil changes every 5-6 weeks? Three months in the summer?
How many miles are you putting on the machine?

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Winter oil changes every 5-6 weeks? Three months in the summer?
How many miles are you putting on the machine?
Winter is a daily use I drag private cross country ski trails & take my dog for daily runs. on my property .Summer is trail rides and some club rides , usually every other weekend. I don't worry so much about miles it's more the hrs. Winter miles never exceed the oil minder yet in the summer with back road travel they can easily double the oil minder. eg: last weekend 175 klm in 4 hrs. So far not that high mileage compared to what some others have . Mine is only 24,000 klms . or 14,400 miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!