Cracked Front Differential Housing!! 1000x

TracyJ

TracyJ

Apr 14, 2021
United States
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is my first post in this group looking for some guidance.

I hit a rock on driver side. In result, absolutely crushed my bottom A-Arm and cracked my front diff housing/casing only on the driver side. Is it possible to buy a new housing/casing since it’s the only thing that is damaged, as far as the differential, or do I have to buy a completely new Front Differential? I would like to spend less money as possible. Any input would be great if anyone has ever dealt with such. By the way, inside the the differential is fine, only the housing/casing is cracked on one side only. Thank you!

1865FA82 1D6A 4F9A AF92 E2E768EF7815 1610B9B7 2D5D 4AC3 838D F48BC2A05C88

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I hit a rock on driver side. In result, absolutely crushed my bottom A-Arm and cracked my front diff housing/casing only on the driver side. Is it possible to buy a new housing/casing since it’s the only thing that is damaged, as far as the differential, or do I have to buy a completely new Front Differential? I would like to spend less money as possible. Any input would be great if anyone has ever dealt with such. By the way, inside the the differential is fine, only the housing/casing is cracked on one side only. Thank you!

View attachment 280457 View attachment 280458
Look on a RMATV or ronayers or partzilla OEM parts fiche. If it has a part number you can order it .

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I recall a member here who posted photos of a Talon that was badly damaged in a rollover accident a month or two ago. I didn't see another post from him with the "rest of the story." I think he mentioned he had no insurance coverage.

It was a relatively new Talon with few miles on it if my memory is correct. My impression was the machine would probably require a new frame and the upper rollover protection frame system, plastic body parts, and many hours of labor. Probably not a do-it-yourself project for most of us.

If you could find that thread and contact that member you might be able to buy his front axle assembly.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I recall a member here who posted photos of a Talon that was badly damaged in a rollover accident a month or two ago. I didn't see another post from him with the "rest of the story." I think he mentioned he had no insurance coverage.

It was a relatively new Talon with few miles on it if my memory is correct. My impression was the machine would probably require a new frame and the upper rollover protection frame system, plastic body parts, and many hours of labor. Probably not a do-it-yourself project for most of us.

If you could find that thread and contact that member you might be able to buy his front axle assembly.
He fixed his car. I sold him my stock radiator assembly a few months back...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seems that there must be heavy frame damage for this and an absolutely crushed a arm to happen. Seems possible to me the damage assessment is incomplete.
Just from the 2 pics the OP posted, you can see the LF lower A-Arm mount is destroyed. Looking at the second pic, I am 99% sure the frame is bent.

Maybe he is (or knows) a frame guy with access to a frame rack and has good welding skills :)

TracyJ

TracyJ

Apr 14, 2021
United States
Ownership

1. Talon X
That sucks.
But yes, you can buy the case for fairly cheap and it does include the needle and axle bearing.

Part 17 into
He fixed his car. I sold him my stock radiator assembly a few months back...
I
Just from the 2 pics the OP posted, you can see the LF lower A-Arm mount is destroyed. Looking at the second pic, I am 99% sure the frame is bent.

Maybe he is (or knows) a frame guy with access to a frame rack and has good welding skills :)
Holy balls, how fast were you going when you hit said rock?
Thank you all for your comments! Helpful they were! The frame is split as well, where the A-Arm Bracket is. It destroyed the bottom half of A-Arm also. A friend of mine customizes sxs framework. He will take care of my frame and brackets, thankfully. Speed: 28+ through a narrow trail. Dodged a rock on the right side, only to cut left through thick brush about 2-1/2’ high. Never seen the rock but sure as hell felt it. The frame/brackets I know can be fixed, I was just unsure about the Fr’ Differential but you all helped out tremendously!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sucks.

I

Thank you all for your comments! Helpful they were! The frame is split as well, where the A-Arm Bracket is. It destroyed the bottom half of A-Arm also. A friend of mine customizes sxs framework. He will take care of my frame and brackets, thankfully. Speed: 28+ through a narrow trail. Dodged a rock on the right side, only to cut left through thick brush about 2-1/2’ high. Never seen the rock but sure as hell felt it. The frame/brackets I know can be fixed, I was just unsure about the Fr’ Differential but you all helped out tremendously!

Side view
Ouch! You'll have to let us know when you get all fixed up how it drives and what all you ended up having to replace/repair.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

View attachment 280457 View attachment 280458
That is an EASY weld job . Probably under a $100.00 if you take it apart and clean it up so it's ready to be welded .

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Looks like @aprils_fool frame, hes got a split like that on the driver's side

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!