Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Any of you guys carry a Crossbow on your machines? Hunting season is coming up and from time to time I may take the Pioneer instead of the FXT so I need to find a good way to transport at least one Crossbow but most likely 2 at a time. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Not much on the net - looks like I may need to fab something up!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sorry Code, I'm not much help neither. I searched but really couldn't find anything I thought might work.
Good luck tho.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been looking I would have SWORN someone posted a pic of carrying a crossbow, but I can't find it....

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thinking I need to design something - WV just legalized them for archery season so I figure I won't be the only one looking!
Thanks for trying to help guys!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Code54 Did the lift the Handy cap Rule? Is it open to everyone now?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks bobbyhill - that may work, I am going to look into that a bit more. Its supposed to rain all day today so I was thinking of going over to the shop and start looking at a good way to mount it so that helps.

They did lift the rule here in WV, it is now open to everyone - crossbow sales are going to be peek here soon now that we don't have restrictions.

http://wvmetronews.com/2015/05/12/crossbows-cleared-for-fall-hunting-season-in-w-va/

From the WV Metronews site:

Crossbows cleared for fall hunting season in W.Va.
SHARE ARTICLE

By Chris Lawrence in Outdoors | May 12, 2015 at 10:52AM

Crossbow hunting will be allowed in W.Va. this fall statewide with the exception of the four bow hunting counties in southern W.Va.
WHEELING, W.Va. — Two long talked about changes to the hunting regulations in West Virginia have been approved by the Natural Resources Commission.

During their May 3rd meeting in Wheeling, commissioners approved the 2015 hunting season dates and bag limits as they were proposed, but with two major changes.

One change moved the spring gobbler season for 2016 back a week. For years, many hunters have complained the season starts too late. Biologists have always maintained the season was deliberately set to open on the fourth Monday in April to insure hens are on the nest and less likely to be mistaken and killed by hunters. The season was also set to make certain the bulk of breeding by gobblers was completed. The commission amended the proposal and moved the opening day of spring gobbler season next year to the third Monday in April.

The second major change was legalization of cross bow hunting in West Virginia. The measure was triggered by legislative action. House Bill 2515 which cleared the way for the reintroduction of elk in West Virginia also included the legalization of crossbows as a rider amendment. The two measures were folded together as part of last night of the session horsetrading in the House and Senate. The legislation called for crossbows to be legal in all big game firearms seasons and instructed the Natural Resources Commission to also establish a crossbow hunting season in West Virginia.

During the Wheeling meeting, members of the commission approved the crossbow season to start on the opening day of archery season and run until the end of the year, starting in the 2015 season.

The legislation did not require a crossbow license. Therefore hunters choosing to use a crossbow will only need the necessary license required for bow hunting to be legal for using a cross bow. Crossbows for many years were illegal in West Virginia, but were legalized for handicapped hunters a few years ago.

Crossbow hunting will be legal statewide in West Virginia with the exception of Mingo, Logan, McDowell, and Wyoming Counties. Commissioners sought to preserve the restriction of hunting in the four coalfield counties to bow and arrow only, as it has been for several decades. Crossbows will not be allowed for hunting in those counties at any time.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Wow is it Christmas already? Elk and crossbows!! I can't wait!

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
sweet huh! My son and I both bought new Crossbows and are starting to practice. I can't wait until the season starts this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
:mad:I am going to the in-laws in FL for thanksgiving this year. right in the start of deer season. but the trade off is a hog hunt down there so.. I guess it will do.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My bow is OLD I may look at crossbows as apparently they are legal here.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Crossbows are amazing and deceiving ive missed alot not judging distance correctly and thinking im using a rifle lol :eek: your best friend will be a range finder

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Your right there JAK9922. I am pre-ranging all the areas around our stands this year and placing colored survey tape at set distances several months before the season. Red 20 yards, orange at 30 yards and neon green at 40 - figure this way my son will be able to quickly range his deer and know what "Dot" to use. He only started hunting last year so I hope to make things a bit simpler for him and help make sure he gets good well placed shot.
Bobbyhill - Don't forget that archery comes in a good bit before thanksgiving so if you want to hunt you should have some time hopefully. I think I am heading to southern WV to try pig hunting this year. Should be entertaining!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your right there JAK9922. I am pre-ranging all the areas around our stands this year and placing colored survey tape at set distances several months before the season. Red 20 yards, orange at 30 yards and neon green at 40 - figure this way my son will be able to quickly range his deer and know what "Dot" to use. He only started hunting last year so I hope to make things a bit simpler for him and help make sure he gets good well placed shot.
Bobbyhill - Don't forget that archery comes in a good bit before thanksgiving so if you want to hunt you should have some time hopefully. I think I am heading to southern WV to try pig hunting this year. Should be entertaining!

I use the same color tape as the pins on my sight... So I don't forget.

Reactions: jak9922
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That is a good way to do it. Great idea!
His scope is a 3 dot red dot style - really wish I could color match it - that would be perfect!!!
You got me thinking - I may need to post a strip of each color on the tree next to his seat in the stand with the distance written on each strip....

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am stationed in Alaska and that plane ticket cost too much to do twice a year. but your right I forgot bow season is earlier. Happy hunting buddy!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
:D NOT HERE BY ACCIDENT LOL

P

PaPaCraig04

Aug 22, 2014
Any of you guys carry a Crossbow on your machines? Hunting season is coming up and from time to time I may take the Pioneer instead of the FXT so I need to find a good way to transport at least one Crossbow but most likely 2 at a time. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 237
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!