cv boot clamp

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so I bought the factory boot replacement. and the outer clamp large clamp is tight. I have broke 2 of these clamps trying to get them to clam. any help would be appreciated. I do have the special tool. and these are the low profile type clamps. thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01 and Hawk53
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
so I bought the factory boot replacement. and the outer clamp large clamp is tight. I have broke 2 of these clamps trying to get them to clam. any help would be appreciated. I do have the special tool. and these are the low profile type clamps. thanks

I ran into the same problem. In the end, I decided I was just trying to make it too tight. As long as the boot didn't move on the joint I said tight enough. have had no issues after running it for a while. tougher would definately be better.

Reactions: Lady01
H

HondaTech

I ran into the same problem. In the end, I decided I was just trying to make it too tight. As long as the boot didn't move on the joint I said tight enough. have had no issues after running it for a while. tougher would definately be better.

The OEM clamps arent adjustable, they have a hook thats suppose to engage the lip of the clamp.

The first hook is just there to assist you in getting close and holding thr clamp so you can set the pliers up.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
H

HondaTech

Which tool do you have? I havent been able to find the exact tool Honda gives us anywhere except through our special tool program.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The OEM clamps arent adjustable, they have a hook thats suppose to engage the lip of the clamp.

The first hook is just there to assist you in getting close and holding thr clamp so you can set the pliers up.
Yes sorry I was using jobber clamps that have a slide-through the slot. The tool rolls up the free end and then folds over the clamp to lock it down. I haven't had a problem with the crimp style.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
IMG 6395

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which tool do you have? I havent been able to find the exact tool Honda gives us anywhere except through our special tool program.
this tool. I had luck the first time I replaced a boot. bout broke that clam though. held up for 4 years. I also have the oteniker clamp tool as well due to having a Gen 1 can am. I like those clamps so much better.
Screenshot 20220529 094435 Amazon Shopping

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd join in here for the good of the order.

Was washing my 7-month-old 2021 P1K5 LE when I noticed a glob of grease on the top inside of the rear, driver side skid plate. Took about two seconds to spot the broken band on the innermost CV boot. Given that it was so new and under warranty, I took it to the dealer where I waited for a report. Called in after 4-5 days, they said they were waiting for a new boot. Called in a few day's later and they said the boot was in, but they were waiting on service.
At about the two-week mark, I called again and the sap who answered had the misfortune of telling me they were waiting for the boot. I went over his lazy as$ to complain. Two days later my machine was ready for pickup.

When I got it back and looked it over, I have to say that I wasn't happy. I'ma 'bout 110% sure that someone got yelled at, they looked into it and saw it was a broken band, and they put a new band on the original boot to get it cleared out the door.

Replacing the band was not my beef. Given how new the machine was, and that I'd never had it in water, I wasn't that concerned about the dealer replacing the whole boot (which wasn't damaged).

My issue now is that I don't know how much axle grease spun out with the broken band, and I don't know if the mechanic tried to look for dirt or even squirted replacement grease in the boot before banding it up again.

Maybe a banding kit is a cheap comfort fix.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I hear ya, if its never been under water and sounds like the chance of dirt getting in is low, either pull it or just cut the clamp and apply $7 bucks of cv joint grease from the auto parts store and a band, may be worth it for piece of mind.....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!