Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just have hammers and blunt screw drivers
I'm dropping it off at your house to do it correctly LOL! But in all seriousness I will pop in that new axle and learn how to rebuild a CV joint or just add more grease whatever it takes and throw it in the back of the truck!

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a temp reading of the new axel cv’s with your setup!
Funny this came up..... Just put All Ball rear axles in and ran them this weekend along with my buddies. After we got back I checked his cv temp to the touch compared to mine, and wow what a difference. Mine would sizzle when hit with water. I remember you had a similar situation with some rhinos. Whatever became of that?

Last edited:
J

JTW

Funny this came up..... Just put All Ball rear axles in and ran them this weekend along with my buddies. After we got back I checked his cv temp to the touch compared to mine, and wow what a difference. Mine would sizzle when hit with water. I remember you had a similar situation with some rhinos. Whatever became of that?
I’m still running the second set they sent me. They still get hot.. so I said, “f*** it and ride!” I may be pulling my lift so it will be interesting to see if they quit after the angle change.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a temp reading of the new axel cv’s with your setup!
My stock ones, were warm @theelectrician put his paws on it and said omg they are hot. So I took his word for it lol

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

The stock axles didn't get hot on mine.. nothing like the aftermarket. But that’s not to say a new stock axle wouldn’t get hot.

Reactions: BWAF and Plumber32
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m still running the second set they sent me. They still get hot.. so I said, “f*** it and ride!” I may be pulling my lift so it will be interesting to see if they quit after the angle change.
I'm in the same boat with my lift. Really don't want to pull it off! I'm going to see if I can drop it a little with the preload adjustment on my shocks, see if that helps. If not may just go back with stock axles. There getting hot enough now I don't trust them.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Can't see a tear. Just the goofy clamp and grease inline with it. Gotta admit I figured the tune that @joeymt33 plugged into my motor blew it because of the smoke that came out at a high rate of speed. Thank God it was only a CV joint
I had the same thing happen to a driver side rear last Summer. Still not sure how the grease was getting out. I wonder how common of an occurrence this iso_O start a poll

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the same thing happen to a driver side rear last Summer. Still not sure how the grease was getting out. I wonder how common of an occurrence this iso_O start a poll
I'm sure its a combination of aggressive driving or high speed and the lift. I'm going to drop the preload. I won't give up the lift, it's been to valuable for me. I'd rather fix a boot every 2500 miles than have a polaris go through something I got stuck in!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You running a lift?

J

JTW

Yeah SATV 3 inch and 30s. I compared the heat after a back country road trip about 10 miles and a speed of around 35 mph. My buddies unit has a 2 1/2" lift with stock axles and 28s. Like JTW mentioned never noticed the heat with stock axles????
Stock axles didn’t get hot.. I even took off an aftermarket and put a spare (used) stock in just to get a temp reading.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My passenger inner boot did identical thing. Never did find where it came from. Ordered both boots from local dealer (kit with both boots was only 10 bucks more than one boot lol). Came with grease and clamps. It wasn't expensive either. Around 60 bucks if I remember right.

Reactions: BWAF and Plumber32
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stock axles didn’t get hot.. I even took off an aftermarket and put a spare (used) stock in just to get a temp reading.
I'm not very educated in all of this but got some feedback from a couple friends. They mentioned the stock axles having smaller bearings allowing more movement or angle vs the aftermarket axles with the larger bearings. It seems to hold some truth seeing this problem with both Rhino and All Ball axles.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe the CV had too much grease initially? One of the CVs that I had rebuilt myself was leaking grease. I believe it was because I had packed too much inside and when the CV was compressed it would push the grease out. It was an inboard CV which makes sense because they are the ones that can slide in or out.

J

JTW

I'm not very educated in all of this but got some feedback from a couple friends. They mentioned the stock axles having smaller bearings allowing more movement or angle vs the aftermarket axles with the larger bearings. It seems to hold some truth seeing this problem with both Rhino and All Ball axles.
Well, some of the things the aftermarket’s advertise is running cooler, increased articulation and strength! But with all that said... they were great to work with! I’d buy them again despite them running a bit hot. I’m curious how they’ll read now that I’ve put some more miles on them. And again... the only time I noticed the heat was running full speed blacktop.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!