Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reassembly is pretty straight forward. Just be sure to use grease everywhere prior to reassembly.
View attachment 30720

Here it is all back together.
View attachment 30721

The next step is to wait for the UPS man to bring the new boot.

More to come.....

Joe
My high tec Honda service manual says if the CV joint is bad on the outboard axel, the entire axel has to be replaced and you have to disassemble inboard CV joint and slide off inboard boot to slide outboard boot on, HA! My buddy has shelled his CV joint, anyone know where you can get just the CV joint? I haven't helped him tear it down yet, need to check axel, this guy can't even keep a skate board rolling for very long.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My high tec Honda service manual says if the CV joint is bad on the outboard axel, the entire axel has to be replaced and you have to disassemble inboard CV joint and slide off inboard boot to slide outboard boot on, HA! My buddy has shelled his CV joint, anyone know where you can get just the CV joint? I haven't helped him tear it down yet, need to check axel, this guy can't even keep a skate board rolling for very long.

I do not, it's sold one piece with the axle

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Shadmejean1

Dec 5, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know this is an old post but I was wondering about this. I'm getting ready to do this and I'm a little nervous. So to remove the axle you just pull it out of the rear diff ? That's it. How long of a job is this ?

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know this is an old post but I was wondering about this. I'm getting ready to do this and I'm a little nervous. So to remove the axle you just pull it out of the rear diff ? That's it. How long of a job is this ?
Yup, just yank after you get the hub removed. BTW, this is where I got that trick to remove outer boot. I couldn’t find it. Probably took me about 2-3 hours. ;)

E

ETXrider

Sep 13, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm getting ready to replace one of the outer rear boots on my P700. Is there a ring on the axle you have to replace before putting it back in the rear diff? I remember having to replace a ring on my Yamaha Rhino. Just didn't know if Honda used the same method to hold the axle in the diff.

T

TalonChief

Jan 21, 2017
NW Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Apologies for further resurrecting an old thread, but it’s the closest I found to my situation, as it mentions the issue, but it’s not answered.

I have a ’17 700M2 w/ a torn aft outer boot. This thread, along with some YT videos, indicate the outer CV can be punched apart to replace the boot, while the ‘14-‘19 service manual indicates you have to disassemble the inner boot/CV and replace the outer boot from there.

Is the procedure detailed here applicable to earlier models or is the service manual just written to minimize the use of hammers? Can I use this method to avoid the disassembly of the inner joint? Basically, I’m sitting here with parts to do the outer, but no extra bands for the inner, and no local source to get them today.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@TalonChief the official answer is the outer CV is not removable (This is what the service manual says).
But, as seen in this thread some people drive the outer CV off and reassemble it.
I can't guarantee all outer CV pop off like this but all the honda ones I have encountered do.
And, if you go this route it takes a serious first jolt to get the C-clip to start moving.
Use a vice to hold the axle, hand holding it dose not work.

A video showing the process (by the OP):

@joeymt33 this week I was working on an axle that has been on my bench for a while, it will be re-assembled an dropped in the spares box.
I left my computer at work so I couldn't reference it to confirm some of the details.
Did a quick search on YouTube and the video above poped up.
Thank for the help!
(It's one thing to remember the holding force is 1500 newton, but understanding use a vice and pick the bigger hammer is a little more helpful).

Reactions: TalonChief
T

TalonChief

Jan 21, 2017
NW Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
@TalonChief the official answer is the outer CV is not removable (This is what the service manual says).
But, as seen in this thread some people drive the outer CV off and reassemble it.
I can't guarantee all outer CV pop off like this but all the honda ones I have encountered do.
And, if you go this route it takes a serious first jolt to get the C-clip to start moving.
Use a vice to hold the axle, hand holding it dose not work.

A video showing the process (by the OP):
Cooy; thanks. That video was one of the ones I found. Just wasn’t sure if it was a prior year and there’d been an update eliminating the option to pop the outer joint. Didn’t want to go wailin’ on it with a hammer and find out the hard way.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!