D.O.T. Approved Windsheild

KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for advice on D.O.T. approved windshields for a 1000-5. I assume that only glass is approved. Any recommendations?

Reactions: Isaiah
KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got an Armor Tech. Roof and windshield.
Thank you. I'll be taking my 1000-5 to eastern Tennessee and was told that in order to use it on county roads, I need DOT approved tires and a DOT approved windshield. What is strange is that when I pull up the TN Gov site, it does not mention that I need a "DOT approved tires and windshield" and it simply shows that I need turn signals, headlights and tail lights, mirrors, and a windshield.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
it simply shows that I need turn signals, headlights and tail lights, mirrors, and a windshield.
I believe that’s true. Some municipalities require a horn. DOT Tensor Regulators won’t hurt and are great trail tires.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turn signals? XTC makes a plug and play kit work 180 degree led turn signals, self cancelling, and emergency flashers, horn and button.

Do you need water bottle and wiper for windshield?

Some places no windshield, but eye protection

KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turn signals? XTC makes a plug and play kit work 180 degree led turn signals, self cancelling, and emergency flashers, horn and button.

Do you need water bottle and wiper for windshield?

Some places no windshield, but eye protection
Thanks for the additional info! Yes, if not windshield then must wear goggles. Mine has a spring windshield so I think that I will be ok. I'll check out the turn signal kit.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Thank you. I'll be taking my 1000-5 to eastern Tennessee and was told that in order to use it on county roads, I need DOT approved tires and a DOT approved windshield. What is strange is that when I pull up the TN Gov site, it does not mention that I need a "DOT approved tires and windshield" and it simply shows that I need turn signals, headlights and tail lights, mirrors, and a windshield.

What part of east Tennessee? Different counties/cities have their own rules. The counties that I live and work in do not require helmets and I've never heard of them checking tires or windshields. But up around RRB and Windrock helmets are required. Many people around here dont even have a windshield. I have turn signals, but most here just use arm signals.

KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What part of east Tennessee? Different counties/cities have their own rules. The counties that I live and work in do not require helmets and I've never heard of them checking tires or windshields. But up around RRB and Windrock helmets are required. Many people around here dont even have a windshield. I have turn signals, but most here just use arm signals.
Blount County. Eastern TN. We see UTVs on the roads all over around Cades Cove, Townsend (that's where our place is) and Gatlinburg. Not sure where I heard that I need DOT approved tires and windshield. I have a split plastic windshield so I may be ok. I know that I need a horn, turn signals, head and tail lights and mirrors but that is not a problem.

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Blount County. Eastern TN. We see UTVs on the roads all over around Cades Cove, Townsend (that's where our place is) and Gatlinburg. Not sure where I heard that I need DOT approved tires and windshield. I have a split plastic windshield so I may be ok. I know that I need a horn, turn signals, head and tail lights and mirrors but that is not a problem.

Gotcha, I work in Gatlinburg but live in Cocke County. Yeah, the SxS rental places are popping up everywhere it seems. I know of 4 within a mile of our shop in Gatlinburg. I need to take mine up and do the Cades Cove loop pretty soon. Hadn't been in a couple years.

Reactions: KTM3040
KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotcha, I work in Gatlinburg but live in Cocke County. Yeah, the SxS rental places are popping up everywhere it seems. I know of 4 within a mile of our shop in Gatlinburg. I need to take mine up and do the Cades Cove loop pretty soon. Hadn't been in a couple years.
Cool. Do you think that I will be ok without DOT approved tires & windshield? I have a windshield, but not a DOT approved one. We will only be using the UTC in Townsend and up near Cades Cove.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I bet you won't have any problems. I see the rentals running plastic windshields and factory tires all the time up there. As long as your not doing anything to draw unwanted attention I dont think you'll have any trouble. Although some DOT radials will ride alot smoother and last much longer, they may be a good investment.

KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks again. I will run the stock tires until they wear a bit more and then I will put DOT radials on it.

Reactions: Bad_bowtie