DOT approved tires

Luka

Luka

Sep 16, 2022
Wittenberg, WI
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2017 700-4 Deluxe and want to put DOT approved tires on it. Due to budget constraints, I'm looking at the Tusk Terrabites and going up from 25's to 27's (because they run a little small). Does anyone have experience with these tires, good or bad? Reviews seem pretty good. Also, how much pressure would you run in them on-road and off-road? Thanks for any input.

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's a good idea, but how does sizing work? What ones are you running?
Mine is a P1K5 the size I have is 30x10x15 there Achilles Desert Hawk MT's. There's hundreds of different brands. Most likely you're probably going to have to upgrade your rim which I would do anyway.
I'll say it again and I know people don't like it, but there's a lot in the search up top on the different styles of LT tires people have had if you care to indulge.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would like to upgrade the rims, but again, budget constraints. I need to stick with my 12 inch rims.
With what your gonna save in tire cost, you can get a nice set of rims. You have do some reasurch, there is always a site that has some wheels clearanced. You have to put the time and patients into finding them.
heres a pic of mine. Old pic
F91DDF60 AB4C 4414 825C E3ADB9761673

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Terrabites are a well liked tire and long lasting, one of our members gets over 10k miles a set on his Talon IIRC. The only reason I'm not running them is that 'some' people have had trouble with the beads being too thin to seal well with beadlocks and I have beadlocks (not everyone, but some for sure).

I'll say this about LT tires, which I'm running - They're built for light trucks (duh :rolleyes:) and tend to ride harsher than OHV specific rubber. As much as I like the BFG K02 All-Terrain radials that I'm running now, I may pony up for new 14" rims so I can try the OHV KM3s next. New rims because OHV KM3s don't come in 15" (not true, they also come in 15” o_O) (stock Talon size and what I put on with aftermarket). And they're $63 more per tire. :oops:

The reason I don't really want to go with 14" rims is the clearance between the calipers and wheel. This happened to a 15" wheel. It didn't break thru, but very well could have.
I DHLJ2fB XL

K02 -
I M2V9tfx XL

Last edited:
advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks CID. I Love BFGs, but out of my price range, and not in 12". I'm still leaning toward the Terrabites.
Oops, never thought about the 12" dimension. 😊

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great picture! I will have to do some extensive searching. thanks.
I guess the question is if you’re saying budget constraints. In order for us to really give you a good bearing on wants versus needs we need to know what your budget is and forms of dollars

Reactions: Buggyman
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Maxxis Liberty is also a very nice DOT tire. I ran a set 10k miles and liked them.

I probably could have run them a lot longer had I rotated them.

Reactions: CID and Buggyman
J

Jacktracy

Feb 15, 2020
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
15 inch itp rims 5-2 offset p235-75 x15 Lt tires 28.5 inches tall no rubing. This is my 2nd set got over 20,000 miles on first set. I think I paid about 110 mounted and balanced

20221007 145737

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since I have 12" rims I'm limited on DOT approved tires. I'm going to try the Tusk Terrabites, Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. This is a great forum!
Good choice. 👍 The thing about tires, they're temporary, buy a set, try 'em, buy another set, or don't.

Reactions: Scoop
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is a P1K5 the size I have is 30x10x15 there Achilles Desert Hawk MT's. There's hundreds of different brands. Most likely you're probably going to have to upgrade your rim which I would do anyway.
I'll say it again and I know people don't like it, but there's a lot in the search up top on the different styles of LT tires people have had if you care to indulge.
I read thru a bunch of your older posts and it seems you liked the Achilles Desert Hawk. Do you still enjoy them and recommend them?

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!