Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My problem is in winter time I need them to only come on when in reverse for plowing can't leave them on all the time and can't keep flicking them in every time I back up but then when riding I want to be able to turn them on and leave them on for obvious reasons!! also handy to have them pop on quick when reverse is activated for instance going up a real big hill in dark then can't make it find reverse to head down backwards fast don't have time to hunt for a switch etc. so I was going to use the back up alarm harness that honda offers but use for lights then try and tap into that with a full time switch to give power when not in reverse but not sure how to do that..

You can tap in following directions here don't need a harness.
P1000 - Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - Honda Pioneer 1000

See Post #13 in the above thread for the backup wiring plug up above the oil filter cover on the drivers side.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
maybe Ill do 2 sets of pods in back one for auto in reverse and one switched got to figure it out
I use a 3 way switch:
Position 1 = Off (not used much)
Position 2 = Lights on when in reverse
Position 3 = Always on

Used a relay to convert the reverse ground signal to a positive feed for the switch.

Reactions: CashMoney
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
My problem is in winter time I need them to only come on when in reverse for plowing can't leave them on all the time and can't keep flicking them in every time I back up but then when riding I want to be able to turn them on and leave them on for obvious reasons!! also handy to have them pop on quick when reverse is activated for instance going up a real big hill in dark then can't make it find reverse to head down backwards fast don't have time to hunt for a switch etc. so I was going to use the back up alarm harness that honda offers but use for lights then try and tap into that with a full time switch to give power when not in reverse but not sure how to do that..

You have a few options:
1: Use a 3 position switch like @ghost mentioned
2: Convert the negative trigger to positive output to turn lights on in reverse and and also use a switch for lights when working. Just have to tap the switched power some where between the relay and lights.

Benefit of using a 3 positions switch, is that you will have stealth mode, ability to keep lights off. Might be harder to find a switch with the right symbols if that matters to you.

Here is how to covert negative trigger to positive output

Reactions: TheBob
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yep, I'm looking into ways to insulate that seat crack for summer!
we went for a ride yesterday also this ride is great but did feel the butt crack heat to I'm going to try dome of the heat barrier that put it a reeper we had got it from summit the box is out in shop will get the name and numbers tomorrow and post it

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, I am super impressed at how the glass windshield and hard rear panel work together in keeping wind off of the front seating of the cabin. I open the sliding glass panel and it allows in fresh air so it doesn't get so warm. But that is a no go in dusty situations because it will suck it right in if open.

I'm thinking of getting the hard rear panel on the 5P, but I wanted to see what people thought, before spending the $500. I don't mind if it gets a little warm in the cab, so long as it helps keep the dust out. You guys sound pretty happy with it so far. I haven't ridden on any dusty trails, and I'm worried the soft rear doors and soft rear panel will let in huge amounts dust through all the air gaps.

Have you ridden in dusty conditions with the hard rear panel yet?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
maybe Ill do 2 sets of pods in back one for auto in reverse and one switched got to figure it out
you can do that with a single pole double throw switch, with the switch one way they will come on/off when in reverse, or with the switch in the other position they will be on all the time. thats how I have mine set up on my 700.

Reactions: CashMoney
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I'm thinking of getting the hard rear panel on the 5P, but I wanted to see what people thought, before spending the $500. I don't mind if it gets a little warm in the cab, so long as it helps keep the dust out. You guys sound pretty happy with it so far. I haven't ridden on any dusty trails, and I'm worried the soft rear doors and soft rear panel will let in huge amounts dust through all the air gaps.

Have you ridden in dusty conditions with the hard rear panel yet?
I've had the hard rear panel on both my past 700, as well as my 1000. As for the dust, yes some will find it's way into the cab, but I seem to think that it's a less amount than if I had not had the panel. What I do regard as an advantage, is the reduction of cold air swirling around when the temps drop. On a down side, in the summer, this could be a disadvantage, as there may not be enough air flow to vent the heat from the engine. This brings to mind a thought I've had about the design of these Hondas. I sure wish that the engine had been located beneath the rear bed, as in the Polaris's design. Of course the rear seats would have been sacrificed, but the radiating heat would have been less.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I just added the hard rear panel - it made a huge difference in the amount of crud that swirls into the cab. Not sure about dust yet - its too wet now - but the inside of my cab got sprayed with tiny mud particles before. Now I dont notice.
Also the cold air would pound the back of my head and down my neck. No more backdraft but now the engine heat in the cab is noticeable and since its winter I like it. Summer needs a different solution. Might trade out the windshield for a 1/2 windshield.

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
got rear cup holders on woo hoo, hard roof , hard mid panel and just received my super winch and mounting plate along with pdm and rear tailgate level
You have a few options:
2: Convert the negative trigger to positive output to turn lights on in reverse and and also use a switch for lights when working. Just have to tap the switched power some where between the relay and lights.

Benefit of using a 3 positions switch, is that you will have stealth mode, ability to keep lights off. Might be harder to find a switch with the right symbols if that matters to you.

the way I had it on my ranger was 3 pos switch or 2 position not sure. but what I would like is down to be reverse lights come on only in reverse only when ignition is on!!!! middle lights on all the time ignition or not!!! then an added bonus if easy to to would be all the way up on 3 part switch stealth mode ( now if that makes it a pain in the ass then forget stealth mode cause I'm not the best at this s*** to begin with great at wiring quality not so good at figuring it out etc. fyi on the reverse lights I will be running 2 pods and possibly 2 little single led's at most

Reactions: joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
looking for trans temp gauge and sending unit as well as engine temp etc digital I want to know when things are getting hotter than normal

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
111852858556 1
this is real nice for our application

Reactions: pct
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
That's what I used. I agree that's it's a great set up for the pioneer.
mystic is making me a panel that will work well with it (8 switches 2 gages and round stereo) and I assume I can squeeze a couple little switches or momentary buttons in there somewhere like the horn maybe. I am also working on a panel cover for bottom cubby hole. Going to grease it up then fill with foam, let dry pop it out.. band saw the front face off of it.. then I will have an exact template for the panel leaving 2 tabs on top and one on bottom to be bent at a 90 accepting honda mounting pins. I will then send to mystic1219 for his inspection and hopefully production so he can drive his programmer completely nuts lol

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
You have a few options:

I've been wondering how I was going to wire up the reverse lights, I also want to be able to use the reverse lights as work lights when I'm not in the seat holding it in reverse, but to also have them automatically come on IF the headlights are on and reverse is selected. The diagram noted here allows the automatic function easily enough (easy for me to say because someone figured it out already), but then thinking about how to wire the override to allow them to be used as work lights, not back up lights.

So, in the diagram, if I was bring a switched controlled 12v power wire in downstream of the #87 terminal, that should work, correct?

Lights could be manually controlled from a dash switch, or automatically controlled IF headlights are on AND reverse gear is selected? I just ordered switches today and did not order any three position switches.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
So, in the diagram, if I was bring a switched controlled 12v power wire in downstream of the #87 terminal, that should work, correct?

That will work.

Lights could be manually controlled from a dash switch, or automatically controlled IF headlights are on AND reverse gear is selected? I just ordered switches today and did not order any three position switches.

I haven't actually wired mine up to the reverse trigger yet, not sure if it only works with the headlights on also. I'm assuming that the pig tail was for the back up alarm, so I don't think the lights need to be on.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I've been wondering how I was going to wire up the reverse lights, I also want to be able to use the reverse lights as work lights when I'm not in the seat holding it in reverse, but to also have them automatically come on IF the headlights are on and reverse is selected. The diagram noted here allows the automatic function easily enough (easy for me to say because someone figured it out already), but then thinking about how to wire the override to allow them to be used as work lights, not back up lights.

I'm not sure!! that is what I was thinking of doing. on my ranger I bought a kit off of ebay allowing me to do all of it just like we wanted sure that kit would work with pioneer as well but its been years since I bought it. I think that I am gong to have a rear bumper made and have reverse lights running off of back up alarm deal and have reverse lights mounted in bumper then have a set of floods up high on a switch that way I don't have to figure it out

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
I'm not sure!! that is what I was thinking of doing. on my ranger I bought a kit off of ebay allowing me to do all of it just like we wanted sure that kit would work with pioneer as well but its been years since I bought it. I think that I am gong to have a rear bumper made and have reverse lights running off of back up alarm deal and have reverse lights mounted in bumper then have a set of floods up high on a switch that way I don't have to figure it out

As soon as the rest of my "stuff" gets delivered by the little brown truck I will update. I've bought several sets of the 6 inch 18w LED lights from China. Have a set mounted up on the ROPS by the rear seat belt anchors, used some #4 conduit hangers I picked up at Home Depot for the mounts, along with a rubber inner wrap I made from an old truck tire inner tube. The conduit hanger doesn't allow infinite adjustments, but I can get the back up lights exactly where I want them, so all good.

Main thing I am waiting on now are the switches from OTRATTW and the PC-8 from Eastern Beaver. I've used the PC-8 before on bike builds and highly recommend it. Relay will be external, but the size and simplicity is excellent. Of course curiosity may get the better of me and I might get started roughing in the rear lighting and dummy up the switch just to see if it works. Grandson is here today so it will not happen today.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!