Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
keep me updated can u post any pics sounds real cool

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas

I haven't actually wired mine up to the reverse trigger yet, not sure if it only works with the headlights on also. I'm assuming that the pig tail was for the back up alarm, so I don't think the lights need to be on.

I'm like you, haven't done this yet as still waiting on the parts to get here, but I think on the above diagram, if you bring a positive 12v lead in from the tail light wire into terminal 86 (don't split it off the 12v positive lead going to 30) AND use the sub harness negative trigger to terminal 85, the relay will not switch unless the lights are on AND the unit is in reverse. Tail lights will provide the power and the reverse will provide the ground, completes the circuit for the coil in the relay to energize....at least that's my theory....

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I'm like you, haven't done this yet as still waiting on the parts to get here, but I think on the above diagram, if you bring a positive 12v lead in from the tail light wire into terminal 86 (don't split it off the 12v positive lead going to 30) AND use the sub harness negative trigger to terminal 85, the relay will not switch unless the lights are on AND the unit is in reverse. Tail lights will provide the power and the reverse will provide the ground, completes the circuit for the coil in the relay to energize....at least that's my theory....

That will work. I may end up doing it that way too. Just leave the headlights off and you have stealth mode. I wanted the lights to come on so who ever was behind me knew we would have to back up. I guess I always ride with my lights on anyways, so that will work for me.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
That will work. I may end up doing it that way too. Just leave the headlights off and you have stealth mode. I wanted the lights to come on so who ever was behind me knew we would have to back up. I guess I always ride with my lights on anyways, so that will work for me.
so u are saying when headlights aren't on nothing will work reverse lights or rear running lights?

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
so u are saying when headlights aren't on nothing will work reverse lights or rear running lights?
Yes, he's using the 12v hot wire powering the lights going to the + side of the coil in the relay. So they will need to be on in order for the backup lights to work.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
idk can't see why that would be bad but IDK. I might do a flat rear bumper and put flush mount led's in it like rock lights the real bright small ones or flush mount led 6 bulb ones then run them off back up alarm. then just have to rear facing pods for lights to turn on whenever I want. I just have to do the bumper

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
IMG 1325
IMG 1326
IMG 1327
IMG 1328
IMG 1332
IMG 1330
Images

Reactions: pct and CashMoney
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK

Powering the relay from the taillights would keep the lights from coming on in reverse, unless you had the headlights on. You would still be able to turn them on with the dash switch when ever you like.

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
idk can't see why that would be bad but IDK. I might do a flat rear bumper and put flush mount led's in it like rock lights the real bright small ones or flush mount led 6 bulb ones then run them off back up alarm. then just have to rear facing pods for lights to turn on whenever I want. I just have to do the bumper

I think in that case you would want to wire up two separate control circuits. The back up lights could be run as described using the relay powered by the tail light and ground trigger, the rear pods to turn on whenever you like could be controlled by a switch. I am using the same set of lights as backup lights and as work lights. I mounted them tonight, did not wire them up. Going riding tomorrow to see how well the brackets work.

advertisement
T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Oh, and good job on the mud, reminds me of my younger days! Did you have the winch mounted already, or is that on the wish list now?

Reactions: pct
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Oh, and good job on the mud, reminds me of my younger days! Did you have the winch mounted already, or is that on the wish list now?
no sitting in a box ready to be mounted lmao!!! I told myself it will be ok Ill just stay away from the mud!!

Reactions: pct and Delton
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I think in that case you would want to wire up two separate control circuits. The back up lights could be run as described using the relay powered by the tail light and ground trigger, the rear pods to turn on whenever you like could be controlled by a switch. I am using the same set of lights as backup lights and as work lights. I mounted them tonight, did not wire them up. Going riding tomorrow to see how well the brackets work.
can't I just get the harness for back up alarm and that will basically do it for me? then the switched lights up high

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no sitting in a box ready to be mounted lmao!!! I told myself it will be ok Ill just stay away from the mud!!
That plan worked well for ya huh? Lol

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
can't I just get the harness for back up alarm and that will basically do it for me? then the switched lights up high
That might work, but without testing it first I really don't know. Seems like it would, assuming the sub harness has a hot wire, and then plug the back up light ground wires into the negative trigger. Test it and let us know!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh and btw...that ain't mud. You can still see your tires lmao (jk).
IMG 20160315 135344654 800x450

Reactions: joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
View attachment 12431 View attachment 12432 View attachment 12433 View attachment 12434 View attachment 12435 View attachment 12436 View attachment 12437 View attachment 12438 View attachment 12439 View attachment 12440 View attachment 12441 View attachment 12442
u were planning on getting stuck
the pics I posted were when I first got stuck when i was still clean enough to take pics.. 2 hours later I was really stuck!!! then an hour after that i got out and said screw the pics lmao

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is some nasty looking mud lol.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!