P1000 Deal or no deal

D

drwatkins

Aug 28, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm looking at a used Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with about 500 miles on it (little less). It has a top and flip up windshield on it, and the previous owner has already done the heat ventilation work around with the heat shield, insulation, and bilge blower. The rig is pretty clean overall with no significant trail rash or damage of any kind that I can see... looking at $13,800. Seems like a good deal to me, but as die-hard Polaris fan I still have my reservations... Opinions and advice on anything I should look for will be appreciated.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm looking at a used Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with about 500 miles on it (little less). It has a top and flip up windshield on it, and the previous owner has already done the heat ventilation work around with the heat shield, insulation, and bilge blower. The rig is pretty clean overall with no significant trail rash or damage of any kind that I can see... looking at $13,800. Seems like a good deal to me, but as die-hard Polaris fan I still have my reservations... Opinions and advice on anything I should look for will be appreciated.

Sounds like a good deal? Who's the seller? Is he a member here? Sounds like it because most of us here have "pioneered" those heat mods.

Did he give a reason for selling?

You may want to check the fluids for water.

Obviously test drive it and check the clutches. It shouldn't increase rpm much at between shifts. Put it in sport mode and hammer down. Try out the paddle shifters. Low range is pretty jerky and I usually go manual mode while in low range. After about 1000 miles, I can barely tell mine shifts because it's so smooth and quite. It's going to be be a lot different than what you're used to. Expect that. But I feel that it's different in a good way.

You will notice that it is a very quite machine if he still has stock intake and exhaust. It's so quite as a matter of fact that you can really hear the diff gears. Those get better with time and a thicker oil.

Lastly, plan on snorkeling the air intake! The intake is up front and it's thirsty!

Good luck and get us some pics and feedback. I would love to hear some feedback from a popo guy.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Reactions: sharp
D

drwatkins

Aug 28, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the info! I've driven it and a new one a couple of times and can't tell any difference between them. The rig was traded in for a Can-am Defender, (which is what I had planned on getting, until I tested the Pioneer), and from what I've been able to find out, it was due to the heat in the cab. I'll check the fluids next time I look at it for sure. You are definitely right about it being different than what I'm used to. The first one I tested was a 1k3 and at first I didn't like it. It just felt weird, but by the time I finished my 15 min test ride, I'd fallen in love with it. As long as every thing continues to check out, I'll have it home by Friday and will post some pics then. Thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! I've driven it and a new one a couple of times and can't tell any difference between them. The rig was traded in for a Can-am Defender, (which is what I had planned on getting, until I tested the Pioneer), and from what I've been able to find out, it was due to the heat in the cab. I'll check the fluids next time I look at it for sure. You are definitely right about it being different than what I'm used to. The first one I tested was a 1k3 and at first I didn't like it. It just felt weird, but by the time I finished my 15 min test ride, I'd fallen in love with it. As long as every thing continues to check out, I'll have it home by Friday and will post some pics then. Thanks again for the advice!

A good benefit of owning a pioneer is having a great group of guys here on HondaSXS always available to answer any question and push you to spend all your money on mods.

Bring it home and share some pics!

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Suggested Retail Value Excellent Condition $14,590. Trade-In Value Good Condition $10,800 +top and flip up windshield Yes good deal ask if the dealer or he did the first 100 mile service and a list of things that was done.

Reactions: joeymt33
D

drwatkins

Aug 28, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Already have... the dealer that sold it is just up the street, so I have access to all service records and it's still under the factory warranty for another 8 months (originally sold at the end of April this year). What all is supposed to be done at the 100 mile service? When are the valves supposed to be adjusted?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds like a good deal to me as well. I agree with Joey either it's someone here or that reads hear. Hate to see one used for sale but it's a small number still it's not for everyone just most. Sounds fine and lots and f good advice was given just follow that and enjoy! Snorkel it. Put pictures up when you can

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Already have... the dealer that sold it is just up the street, so I have access to all service records and it's still under the factory warranty for another 8 months (originally sold at the end of April this year). What all is supposed to be done at the 100 mile service? When are the valves supposed to be adjusted?
As long as it's still under warranty you should be able to get the extended warranty from Honda

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds good to me, at 500 miles I think if it were going to have any issues, it would have had them by now!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!