BOX1

P1000 How to get a good deal when dealers don't seem to want haggle?

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
if you purchase a sxs they will give you discount on accessories
Thanks, unfortunately, all of the accessories I want can be had for less elsewhere (even with a discount). I don't like the Honda "helmet" roof--going with this low profile HDPE one for $290 Quadboss roof. Bought this 3500 lb winch with synthetic rope for $120 Amazon wench. And this Big Sky overhead gun rack. Going windowless, since I see all the complaints about sucking dust, hard-to-keep-clean windows, scratches. Thought about a half, but most say they don't even help at slow speeds.

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my 2018 Honda 1000-5 in 2019 in Union City, TN and they had over 250 2018's in stock. i just looked for curiosity after reading this post. All they have is Honda Talons 2021and Polaris 2020 and 2021. Not sure of the count but obviously the inventory is low.

Sodak47

Sodak47

May 29, 2020
Rock Hill, SC
www.compressorpros.com
Ownership

1. 500
When I bought my P500, I actually was a little surprised the local dealer came off the price at all. When my buddy called about an ATV, they told him that the online price was the best they could do. At least here, inventory is really low and demand has been high all summer and now hunting season is starting, so they can sit tight on pricing.

M

Meador

Sep 10, 2020
lafayette Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought mine in Chattanooga Tennessee. I paid 17.500whith the roof windshield and insurance out the door.

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With COVID-19 going on, the supply is low and the demand is high so dealerships aren’t willing the negotiate. At least they weren’t a few months ago when I was buying one and I was paying cash. I ended up finding a preowned one with low miles on Facebook marketplace. You might try that out if your looking for a deal

M

mikeco

Jun 26, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Don't expect discounts like you can get with cars. Profit margins are much lower and supply is much lower, especially now. The best deals on a new machine will be leftover prior-year models, and those are very rare. Me and a friend found some 2018 leftover camo Pioneer 500's for $2000 off, but we had to drive 10 hours each way to another state to get them. They are less in demand in the east and mid-plains states than in the Rocky Mountain and western states, probably because they don't have many 50-inch-restricted trails in those eastern and midwest states.

If you are concerned with price and want a good deal, look in the used market. Having said that, some people want more for a used Pioneer 500 than I paid new.

C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
Complete sellers market in both new and used Sxs, ATVs, boats, etc. The dealer tells you what you will pay. Either you pay it or the 20 people that will call him this week looking for the machine will. Supply is virtually non-existent in Midwest. Apparently the Wuhan recession never took hold here.

Reactions: Vikes79
Jetsaround1

Jetsaround1

Sep 3, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all. First post here, and I'm hoping to join the owners' club soon. But I'm not getting anywhere in dealing with the dealers in the Phoenix area (live in Mesa, AZ). I've filled out forms for two dealers from their websites. One, RideNow in Chandler responded and we went back and forth with maybe two emails, but when I tried to get them pinned down on an "out the door" price, the salesman stopped responding. The other one, Western Honda Scottsdale, which I've heard good things about, never replied to my form I filled out. In this day and age, will I really have to go down there and spend four hours haggling? It just seems that the dealers are willing to come down $500 at most and then tack on $850 destination and some doc fee. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not like the haggle part at all either ..up Here in Utah we have a dealer called Steadmans ...it is a little drive away but they are an honest dealer I have bought all my machines from them over the years ...and what they do is order several machines of a certain year , then store them in a warehouse for a year or so ...then whe the Honda factory authorizes cash back or rebates then you can score a great deal ...I bought my 2018 P500 in august of 2019 last year ...and saved about $1500 off MSRP....another route that seems to work real well is sign up for a Costco executive membership ...then go on their powersports web site ...put in what you want and they will hook you up with a local dealer ..no haggle they have a set price ...good luck

S

SuperMario

Aug 5, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought a 21 Talon in July. Had to pay full MSRP. Did charge me $249 destination fee and $149 doc fee. You will pay full MSRP until supply catches up with demand. You MAY be able to negotiate some accessories, extended warranty, labor costs to add accessories, and 100 mile service which cost $350-$400. They charged me $269. I saved probably $2500 to $3000 on accessories ,warranty, labor and 100 mile service. Only charged me $23 a hour on labor for installation (15 hours of labor at normal labor cost of $85 hour). Gave me 20% to 30% on accessories. Extended warranty retail for $1950, got it for $1349. Have read on some forums that Honda will allow dealers to go as low as $1200. I know of a dealer in my area that marked a 21 Fox live valve 4 seater up an additional $3000 b4 taxes and fees.

H

Hawk308

Sep 11, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all. First post here, and I'm hoping to join the owners' club soon. But I'm not getting anywhere in dealing with the dealers in the Phoenix area (live in Mesa, AZ). I've filled out forms for two dealers from their websites. One, RideNow in Chandler responded and we went back and forth with maybe two emails, but when I tried to get them pinned down on an "out the door" price, the salesman stopped responding. The other one, Western Honda Scottsdale, which I've heard good things about, never replied to my form I filled out. In this day and age, will I really have to go down there and spend four hours haggling? It just seems that the dealers are willing to come down $500 at most and then tack on $850 destination and some doc fee. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Due to Honda pausing productions this year because of the covid crap, there aren't a ton of machines flooding the markets. Dealers are charging full msrp plus fees because they can right now. If you don't want to wait, you'll pay it and they know it. Your best bet may be to try and get some accessories you want thrown in. Good luck!

Reactions: Backwoods
L

LeeHene

Sep 13, 2020
Boiling Springs, SC
Ownership

1. 500
I purchased my P500 back in June from D2 Powersports in Spartanburg SC. I had probably been in there 50 times looking but every single time Travis (one of the salesmen) was patient, helpful and laid back.

When I finally decided to buy it, I found the price on everything had gone up a good bit due to this Covid junk interfering with supply and demand.The place had practically been cleaned out after the stimulus.

Travis spoke to the manager and got the price back down pretty close to what he had quoted me a few months before.

I'd recomend the place to anyone. As for the service department, I'm about to find out. A little under 100 miles and it suddenly started shutting off a couple seconds after you start it. The next day I found a small puddle of oil on the ground under the back of the engine. (Yes, I did break it in properly.) 😥

20200904 094608

Last edited:
bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Talked to a guy Sunday that walked into local Honda/Can-Am dealer ready to write a check for new Defender (boo). They had 5 in showroom - all sold. They said they’d put him on the waiting list. Sellers market for sure.

I spent several hours beating up a salesman 2 years ago on mine, worth every minute!

C

Cooliodaggett

Jun 8, 2020
Upper Peninsula
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought mine around Memorial Day. The first dealer I went to said "we're breaking sales records. I'm not going to haggle. I'm not going to try to find what you want. What we have on the lot is what you have to choose from." I thought he was an asshole. Turned out he was just being honest. He sold 2 machines while I was there. I got lucky and found a misplaced 2018 at a huge dealership a few hours away and got $4500 off. But, I doubt there's any '18s to be found now. It was the same story at that dealership, record sales, no haggling, waiting lists and delays. You'd never know there is a recession by the looks of all the power sports dealerships.

mikeanderson

mikeanderson

Supporting Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hugo, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't live in AZ, but when I bought my 2019 Pioneer 1000 (3 up) last year in Nov from a MN dealer, I found the cheapest one within a day drive, and then I went back to the local dealer and asked if they would price match and they said YES. I didn't have to pay any shipping or destination fees. Note: I did buy an LE model so I was buying a more expensive machine, but I don't know if that influenced the discount.

E

Ehunter

Supporting Member
Jul 14, 2020
Bend
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had the same problem this summer if I had bought in the spring I would have saved some money. Lots of dealer options but by June I could only find one 700-4 delux. In oregon I might have been able to find one in Idaho. There were none in sw Washington. I ended paying asking price. I still have not seen 2021 700 so I am happy. The only thing is they wanted to charge me 3% to use my debit card. I ended paying with a cashiers check.

Roborlilw

Roborlilw

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Tucson,Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The Ridenow's in Tucson don't want to deal with you unless your spending $25,000 and up for a Polaris or Can-Am. I drove 72 miles one way for both my 700-4 and 1000-5 Deluxe. Worth every mile.

JSDAVIS

JSDAVIS

Sep 12, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the days of haggle are numbered at least on powersports for awhile.
I believe that is on us as buyers. If folks would quit paying retail plus all the bogus additional fees before taxes dealerships would be willing to “deal” again...

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Threaten them with Rectal Plasma Evaporation?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!