P700 Dealer 600 miles service

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Ok i had my 600 mile service done. It smoked blueish smoke for the first few days off and on. Smoke stopped now tho. It's changing gears all over the place. Mostly into 2nd normally it would around 12 mph. Now it's changing at 20 and once at 28mph. Mostly around 18mph. It also sounds like there is more rattling from the motor. It rattles a lot at 40-45 holding steady at that speed. Anyone else have this issue.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
no did they adjust the valves ? blue smoke is burning oil thats horrible at 600 miles

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Yea they adjusted the valves. The smoke stopped now but i don't know why it did it at all. I'm taking it to the dealer Tuesday. Got to get the skid plate recall done and that spot on the air box fixed and tell them about the smoke and all the other stuff.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Did they do anything more than adjust the valves and change the oil?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I'm pretty sure that's it. Oil and filter and valves. But it doesn't feel right. I saw another post where a guy had about the same issue but i can't find it. Wanted to know if the dealer figured it out or what.

Last edited:
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I remember reading about the oil filter gasket sticking to the old filter and getting thrown away. If this happened it could cause a loss of oil pressure, which if run like that long enough could result in smoke and noise. I hope that is not what happened but you might want them to check just in case.

Reactions: scott
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Took it in and they didn't find anything wrong. I got it back home and rode some it is changing gears right and running good so i have no idea.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Good to hear. Wonder if they made a mistake, corrected it, and told you they found nothing so you would not think badly of them? Hope not. I have never really trusted dealers service departments. I avoid them if possible.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love know they aren't all bad but I've had several bad experiences recently with service departments in general.

advertisement
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok i had my 600 mile service done. It smoked blueish smoke for the first few days off and on. Smoke stopped now tho. It's changing gears all over the place. Mostly into 2nd normally it would around 12 mph. Now it's changing at 20 and once at 28mph. Mostly around 18mph. It also sounds like there is more rattling from the motor. It rattles a lot at 40-45 holding steady at that speed. Anyone else have this issue.

I did this to a Chevy one time! If you over service the oil, blue smoke will come out of the tail pipe and it strains the engine till it can burn it off the top, which is what your rattle is. You have 2 choice's at that point either drain your oil level to correct level or mash the gas till if burns off. Both will work and in your case I’d say the 2nd happened and now you are good! 90% positive without being there and seeing it happen.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I was thinking something like that. It ran good yesterday so i guess everything is ok. If it starts back up i'll take it back in.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was thinking something like that. It ran good yesterday so i guess everything is ok. If it starts back up i'll take it back in.
just check the dip stick scott that will tell you. but i don't think you will see it again till you take it back to that dealer:eek: for another oil change.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I love know they aren't all bad but I've had several bad experiences recently with service departments in general.
Most Everyone that works at these places are great guys and they are hard workers but iam sure they are just like the rest of us and have those days when we hate our jobs. And then there is the unspoken truth that nobody cares about your stuff more then you!

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Good to hear. Wonder if they made a mistake, corrected it, and told you they found nothing so you would not think badly of them? Hope not. I have never really trusted dealers service departments. I avoid them if possible.

I don't trust them at all,my wife and I purchased a rancher when they first came out. I took it to the dealership for its first service, they did their thing, I went and picked it up,PAID them and went home. While unloading it from the truck I noticed mud still one the rear diff fill plug. I called the service manager and told him about it and the SOB just about called me a liar, saying if his guy put on the work order that he changed the oil,then he did it...BS. I took it right back to them, the service manager even pulled an empty container of diff oil from the trash and said "loook here's the empty container of oil that he used". I told the dumb azz to drop the oil and lets see. Upon doing so, when dirty used oil came out, he looked at me and said "well I guess I have egg on my face", I told him what I thought of his stupid arse , took my stuff and left and never went back until I bought my pioneer.
This is the reason I prefer to do all my own maint. to all of my vehicals, I know exactly what was done and how it was done.

Reactions: Fischer
B

big31moe

Jul 28, 2014
I don't trust them at all,my wife and I purchased a rancher when they first came out. I took it to the dealership for its first service, they did their thing, I went and picked it up,PAID them and went home. While unloading it from the truck I noticed mud still one the rear diff fill plug. I called the service manager and told him about it and the SOB just about called me a liar, saying if his guy put on the work order that he changed the oil,then he did it...BS. I took it right back to them, the service manager even pulled an empty container of diff oil from the trash and said "loook here's the empty container of oil that he used". I told the dumb azz to drop the oil and lets see. Upon doing so, when dirty used oil came out, he looked at me and said "well I guess I have egg on my face", I told him what I thought of his stupid arse , took my stuff and left and never went back until I bought my pioneer.
This is the reason I prefer to do all my own maint. to all of my vehicals, I know exactly what was done and how it was done.

I had a dealer tell me that it would cost 700.00 to replace the right strut on my 4 wheeler because of a groove in the hub seal area. I asked him how much the strut cost and he said 350.00 so they wanted 350.00
to put it on, I asked their labor rate and he said 85.00 per hour. Now it doesn't take 4.1 hours to put a strut on even the worst mechanic could do it in less time. Here is the kicker I asked to se the parts breakdown and the seal wear area was replaceable for 12.00 and the strut didn't need to be replaced. I told him to stick it in his arse and also told him I would not ever come back . I buy everything I need on line and the crooked bastard can get someone else.

Reactions: bobbyhill
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Blue smoke means 1 of 2 things blown rings or 2 much oil with 2 much oil it will push past the rings and or valvue seals leak into the cylinder and smoke

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
I've had more negative experiences than positive. When it comes to servicing transmissions, differentials, etc (AND difficult canister oil filters such as late model 4-runners) I place a small amount of nail polish on bolts IOT see if they were really removed and the fluids really changed, valves really checked and adjusted, etc. I do my own!
Face it, we're in an integrity challenged time period. I'm a very busy, 68 year old dentist but do all my tractor, tractor accessories, car, truck, atv,utv,lawn mowers,, 98 Honda 300, etc maintance serving, etc. I take excellent, care of all my stuff(still have my 4 hp Johnson boat motor, I got new in 1969, and my 1985 Evenrude 70hp). Just ordered a service manual for the Pioneer 700. I may be wrong, but it appears rather easy to service and repair.
I've used 2 different Honda dealerships for purchasing/ initial service(one of them). One didn't change the fluids or do the clutch adjustment I was charged for(same oil filter left in - fingernail polish not broken on filter or differentials - 300) and nothing lub'd on P-700). I'll never get too busy to care of my equipment, and I'm really busy.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've had more negative experiences than positive. When it comes to servicing transmissions, differentials, etc (AND difficult canister oil filters such as late model 4-runners) I place a small amount of nail polish on bolts IOT see if they were really removed and the fluids really changed, valves really checked and adjusted, etc. I do my own!
Face it, we're in an integrity challenged time period. I'm a very busy, 68 year old dentist but do all my tractor, tractor accessories, car, truck, atv,utv,lawn mowers,, 98 Honda 300, etc maintance serving, etc. I take excellent, care of all my stuff(still have my 4 hp Johnson boat motor, I got new in 1969, and my 1985 Evenrude 70hp). Just ordered a service manual for the Pioneer 700. I may be wrong, but it appears rather easy to service and repair.
I've used 2 different Honda dealerships for purchasing/ initial service(one of them). One didn't change the fluids or do the clutch adjustment I was charged for(same oil filter left in - fingernail polish not broken on filter or differentials - 300) and nothing lub'd on P-700). I'll never get too busy to care of my equipment, and I'm really busy.

There's no "super like" button to hit. So I thought I would respond to say that I've had he same experiences. Makes me sick and it's the reason I have a 9k lb lift in my shop.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Joe.

advertisement