P700 Clutch Adjustment

20steven09

Aug 27, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey everyone

I am new to SxS’s and new to the forum. I recently purchased a new 2018 700-4 and I have some issues.

Whenever I am cruising and lightly keep the gas peddle pushed down it sounds like it’s constantly trying to switch gear or get into gear and when I press on the gas more it goes away. Only makes this weird noise whenever I am cruising and trying to just enjoy the ride but all I hear is a constant noise that’s like a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It also does every now and then lose power while I am accelerating like it couldn’t shift and the mph blinks I let off the gas all the way then push on the gas again and it will shift and work fine. Some times it happened back to back to back but most of the time it just happens once in awhile.

I just reached 100 miles / 8 hours so it’s due for its first service but was trying to put a couple more hours on before I took it in.

I’ve googled and searched and haven’t found anything that says how to adjust the clutch on the 700? I’ve seen YouTube videos and post about the 500 but not the 700.

So now my questions

1. Can you adjust the clutch and how do you do it?

2. Loss of power have to do with it not shifting properly?

3. Any idea on that noise mentioned while under light constant throttle?

4. Should I take it to dealer ASAP for service and issues since it’s under warranty?

Thanks for the help!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.
I cant offer much advice on the clutch, I know it has one, well 3 actually, yet the main drive force is the torque converter. That requires a good bit of oil to function properly.

Make sure your oil level is correct. Actually the 700 seems to like it a little on the high side. Overfill will cause issues too. So keep it just below the high mark on the dip stick.

A oil change may help. Be sure to double check your dealers work to ensure proper level once you get it back.

I would maybe get a video of it doing what it does and present it to the dealer. Most likley they will be unable to reproduce it at the shop.

Other issues include trash in the oil passages but that usually causes a stuck or no shift gear.

Well. Good luck and update us please.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To add to what @Hondasxs has already mentioned, the oil level seems to be critical to tranny operating correctly. Keep in mind that the 700 has an oil level check procedure you must follow to in order to get the true oil level. Check your owner’s manual to make sure you’re doing it correctly.

Reactions: Mudwing
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
If the noise is a gear like growling my has been doing it since new (2 thousand or so miles) so it must be normal

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!