E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Keep us in the loop. Glad that it seems to be starting out well.

Reactions: sharp and elkaholic
Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would be interesting on what all in sub trans will need to be replaced.

Reactions: sharp
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Dropped it off this morning. Will keep everyone posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'll look at the samples tomorrow when I pick it up.

Shop has drained the subtrans and flushed it twice, each time straining the oil through cheesecloth and using a magnet to find any significant metallic particulate matter. None found

Hard to believe, but it is what it is. I have a 5 year Honda Extended warranty so I'll ride it like I stole it

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll look at the samples tomorrow when I pick it up.

Shop has drained the subtrans and flushed it twice, each time straining the oil through cheesecloth and using a magnet to find any significant metallic particulate matter. None found

Hard to believe, but it is what it is. I have a 5 year Honda Extended warranty so I'll ride it like I stole it

We know you stole it so that means that you're only riding after dark?

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Brief update. Stopped by the dealer this morning (near my office in the Charlotte, NC area) and talked with the service manager in very polite tones. Told him what I believed happened.

Short story is I think things will work out. During the convo he was very apologetic and actually told me that they have left here dry before. I told him I would work with him on timing so I am dropping it off on Thursday AM when his best tech will be cleared to work on it.

Fingers crossed ...

That's weird Honda best tech is here in Florida I heard

Reactions: sharp
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My buddy run his about 50 miles with out oil in the sub trans. He did another few months of riding and the trans got way more noisy. He made the mistake and had the sub trans rebuilt. The bearings, gears, and shafts will all have to be replaced in the future in my opinion. As it gets more miles on it there will be metal parts in the oil. I would glue a super magnet to the drain plug. The sub trans should be disassembled to see the damage on the shafts and gears.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My buddy run his about 50 miles with out oil in the sub trans. He did another few months of riding and the trans got way more noisy. He made the mistake and had the sub trans rebuilt. The bearings, gears, and shafts will all have to be replaced in the future in my opinion. As it gets more miles on it there will be metal parts in the oil. I would glue a super magnet to the drain plug. The sub trans should be disassembled to see the damage on the shafts and gears.

I'm with you 110% there. But I don't have a lot of leverage to push them to do that.

If running that short a time wore through any of the surface hardening / heat treating on the gears, wear will accelerate.

Assuming they kept the oil they drained separate so I can get some of the first drain, I will send a sample to Blackstone for analysis. I plan to put about 100 miles on it then change the subtrans oil again, pull a sample for analysis, and install a magnet at that time.

I will most definitely keep records of the service for use in the future.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Picked it up yesterday. Spoke to the tech and the Service Manager (who I believe is a co-owner). The oil was intermingled, but they drained everything (engine, dct, sub-trans) and flushed twice by running about 10 miles then draining again. No wear material was in the oil, but since it was all mixed together I did not take a sample.

I said something to the effect that it looks like we may have gotten lucky for now. We also discussed the possibility of damaging the surface hardening of the gears and shafts and the fact that damage may not rear its head for a few hundred miles. I was assured that if it gets noisy, bring it back and we'll make it right.

The cynical guy would ask me, how do I know the oil they showed me came out of my rig? Short answer is I don't as I was not standing there. However, the factory skid was dripping oil (they did not clean the skid as well this time) and the drain plugs have a bit more wear on them than before, and the rig had about 25 more miles on it than when I dropped it off. The story does not appear to have gaps and the three folks with whom I talked were quite sincere .... so I'm gonna push Cynical Sam aside for the moment.

I offered to at least pay for the oil (they used a metric s***-ton of it - at $7 / qt it would have added up), but they absolutely refused.

Still glad I have a Honda extended warranty ....

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ride that rig!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
50 miles without oil will damage the gears, shafts, and bearings especially when its squealing. You might get another 500 to 1000 miles before it gets really noisy. Looks like your dealer will fix it in the future and you will not need to use your extended warranty.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Update:

I am now very impressed with the dealership that serviced the machine. While I am still concerned about the trans, I am comfortable with the dealer.

Why is this? Just received a call from the lead tech who worked on it checking to see that everything is good. I don't think I have ever had a tech or service person follow up. I've gotten the survey calls from survey companies, but never a follow up call from the person / manager / shop that actually performed the work.

Color me impressed in this day of customer disservice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!