elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I believe that the dealer who did my initial service and I will be having a rather heated conversation about sub transmissions next week. I have not ridden the machine since the service but I have been doing mods to it in preparation for my trip to Windrock.

Got here today right after the bad storms came through and went ahead and went riding. I put about 50 miles on it in about 3 1/2 hours and was really enjoying the ride but kept noticing that the transmission seem to be getting louder and louder actually howling. Got back loaded up on the trailer and headed into Oak Ridge to the hotel. Once I was in the hotel parking lot I decided to check the sub transmission oil level which was perfect the last time I checked it. Nothing was on the dipstick. I put my single quart of Honda oil in and still nothing on the dipstick. Ran to Wally World and bought a quart of Valvoline motorcycle oil with the correct rating but in 10 W 40 rather than 10 W 30. Right at a third of a quart of that and the oil level is correct.

I am guessing the technician accidentally drained the sub trans while changing the oil. The damn thing was bone dry. I'm hoping no major damage has been done but I am not holding my breath. Will report back tomorrow night after riding hoping for a quieter ride.

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BUMMER!!!!

I have a great dealer and super techs there BUT I still double check everything after we get home.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In all honesty when paying 100$ an hour you shouldn't have to check everything but dealers don't have the good techs doing oil changes and most of us on the forum are as qualified as some and care about our rig.
Sucks that happened but it's great you knew what to look for and were able to get back underway. Nice job

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Agreed .... went to the dealer for the first service for warranty integrity reasons. Got bent over the counter to the tune of six bills and for that kinda dough, they damned well better get it right. They even checked off on checking the sub trans fluid level. I do know that the tech did the oil and filter change last, so if he pulled the wrong plug ..... fawk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Agreed .... went to the dealer for the first service for warranty integrity reasons. Got bent over the counter to the tune of six bills and for that kinda dough, they damned well better get it right. They even checked off on checking the sub trans fluid level. I do know that the tech did the oil and filter change last, so if he pulled the wrong plug ..... fawk

Six hundred dollars???? HOLY f***!! I thought my $280 was bad!

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know, I know ... when I was extending the vent line I shoulda checked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand your frustration. When I checked my sub transmission fluid there was no fluid on dip stick. Took off skid plate to check for leak and everything looked dry.

when I checked my sub transmission fluid after I did first service there was no fluid on the dip stick. Took of skid plate off to check for leak and didn't see any. So thinking it came from factory low on fluid and dealer didn't check it before delivery. Hoping it didn't hurt anything. And also hardly any gear oil in front final gear.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That blows.
There have been reports of the wrong plug getting drained.
It's even a different size bolt to help prevent this. While both oil drains are the same size.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The sub trans will need a rebuild. It will have damage and it will get worse with use. My buddy did the same thing and after about 50 miles it made lots of noise. He did drive it for another 200 miles but had his dealer replace all the damaged parts. It Sucks but it happens.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The sub trans will need a rebuild. It will have damage and it will get worse with use. My buddy did the same thing and after about 50 miles it made lots of noise. He did drive it for another 200 miles but had his dealer replace all the damaged parts. It Sucks but it happens.

Yeah, I know. Bone dry is very bad ... really pisses me off though since I have a few more trips planned and with hunting season right on top of us, I cannot afford the downtime

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Stopped for a few minutes at a remote part of Windrock listening to a barred owl complain at the thunder.

With it full, the sub trans still talks .... yesterday it was SCREAMING

Pic to prove I'm out and about

E60d9ba96ee0b089b298f71eb0c63737

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The shop owes you to fix it quickly. It can take 7 hours and most parts inside will need to be replaced. They should get the parts in 3 days if ordered in the morning. I would ask for a loaner if it takes more then a week. Its best to be pleasant about it and mistake's happen. The shop should be a bit embarrassed because this P1000 has been out way over a year.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The shop owes you to fix it quickly. It can take 7 hours and most parts inside will need to be replaced. They should get the parts in 3 days if ordered in the morning. I would ask for a loaner if it takes more then a week. Its best to be pleasant about it and mistake's happen. The shop should be a bit embarrassed because this P1000 has been out way over a year.

That's my plan.

Folks who have worked for me have always said that they liked working for me because I come across as laid back, but when needed I can raise the intensity a notch or 7.

I will be asking politely for a sub-trans rebuild. After almost 90 miles on it today, I am amazed at how quiet it is, but I know that there has to be a bunch of metal in the oil / stuck to the drain plug (assuming it is magnetic)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's my plan.

Folks who have worked for me have always said that they liked working for me because I come across as laid back, but when needed I can raise the intensity a notch or 7.

I will be asking politely for a sub-trans rebuild. After almost 90 miles on it today, I am amazed at how quiet it is, but I know that there has to be a bunch of metal in the oil / stuck to the drain plug (assuming it is magnetic)

The drain plug isn't magnetic but you can add a rare earth magnet to them. I need to check mine and look for metal. But especially after a rebuild you should.

B9c6bc85e975fb80cd619b7e4e4b3521

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The drain plug isn't magnetic but you can add a rare earth magnet to them. I need to check mine and look for metal. But especially after a rebuild you should.

View attachment 48981

Thanks for that tidbit. When I start doing my own stuff (soon!). I'll add those ....

Reactions: joeymt33
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck. Hopefully your dealer comes through for you.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Brief update. Stopped by the dealer this morning (near my office in the Charlotte, NC area) and talked with the service manager in very polite tones. Told him what I believed happened.

Short story is I think things will work out. During the convo he was very apologetic and actually told me that they have left here dry before. I told him I would work with him on timing so I am dropping it off on Thursday AM when his best tech will be cleared to work on it.

Fingers crossed ...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!