P1000 What Should the Dealer Charge?

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am disabled with a bad back. It is very difficult for me to do even the slightest things. I used to perform all maintenance by on my stuff but can’t hardly do it anymore.

What would be a reasonable price for my local Honda dealer to charge to perform service on my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 EPS? It has 3,700 miles.

It needs a new engine air filter, engine oil and oil filter, transmission oil and oil filter, front differential oil, and rear differential oil.
I also want to get the toe-in adjusted/ front end aligned properly (front tires are bald from being out of alignment).
I’ll get the spark plugs changed only if they need it.

What are your thoughts?
Thank You!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My guess is $450 including sub trans. Good luck on the alignment though, the specs in the book call for 5mm of toe in with 10mm of tolerance. So that means from 15 mm toe in to 5 mm toe out is in spec.
From 0 to toe out you will get wander and or tire scrub leading to tire wear. 15 mm toe in will track ok but will still wear out tires.
The Ackerman steering geometry is affected also leading to more component stress and tire scrub too.
I don’t think the dealer is gonna give it too much thought, but they will make you feel good with some warm fuzzy talk about angles and degrees and safety.........You can pay the receptionist on your way out.

H

HondaTech

My guess is $450 including sub trans. Good luck on the alignment though, the specs in the book call for 5mm of toe in with 10mm of tolerance. So that means from 15 mm toe in to 5 mm toe out is in spec.
From 0 to toe out you will get wander and or tire scrub leading to tire wear. 15 mm toe in will track ok but will still wear out tires.
The Ackerman steering geometry is affected also leading to more component stress and tire scrub too.
I don’t think the dealer is gonna give it too much thought, but they will make you feel good with some warm fuzzy talk about angles and degrees and safety.........You can pay the receptionist on your way out.

We try to get it close to the centered spec. Alot of the issues stem from one tire being out/in further than the other which causes units to dart a certain direction or fight you while driving. Those are the most common complaints we see.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got a written quote emailed to me from the dealer. It’s $630.17 for a full service and that includes changing the spark plugs, air filter, and adjusting the front wheel toe-in. To adjust the toe-in only, the price is $139. I think this is ridiculously high prices!

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We try to get it close to the centered spec. Alot of the issues stem from one tire being out/in further than the other which causes units to dart a certain direction or fight you while driving. Those are the most common complaints we see.
The passenger wheel is pointing out while the driver’s side is straight. The front tires are completely bald because of this.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got a written quote emailed to me from the dealer. It’s $630.17 for a full service and that includes changing the spark plugs, air filter, and adjusting the front wheel toe-in. To adjust the toe-in only, the price is $139. I think this is ridiculously high prices!
The jeep dealer recently charged me $125 for a front end alignment so thats not too bad considering the times. But $630 minus about $150 in parts is an awful lot for labor. Hopefully the dealer is paying the mechanic enough to atleast do a good job.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The jeep dealer recently charged me $125 for a front end alignment so thats not too bad considering the times. But $630 minus about $150 in parts is an awful lot for labor. Hopefully the dealer is paying the mechanic enough to atleast do a good job.
I’m thinking about trying to do the oil and air filter change myself. It’s just my spine has arthritis all in it and every little thing I do is so damn painful. I know how to change the oil, and I have the tools to do it. But the pain I have stops me from doing things I want to do.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m thinking about trying to do the oil and air filter change myself. It’s just my spine has arthritis all in it and every little thing I do is so damn painful. I know how to change the oil, and I have the tools to do it. But the pain I have stops me from doing things I want to do.
Wish you were closer, I'd do it for beers. 🤔

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
ing to do the oil and air filter change myself. It’s just my spine has arthritis all in it and every little thing I do is so damn painful. I know how to change the oil, and I have the tools to do it. B
I've got one leg, a bad back, am well over 50, and my eyesight is going, but I do most everything on my vehicles myself. Oil & filter changes and standard maintenance tasks are relatively easy on this machine.

Phone a friend, then supervise? :)

Last edited:
Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got one leg, a bad back, am well over 50, and my eyesight is going, but I do most everything on my vehicles myself. Oil & filter changes and standard maintenance tasks are relatively easy on this machine.

That’s good that you are able to do all that considering your conditions. I may go ahead and do the oil changes and air filter change myself when I feel better, but I have no idea how to adjust the toe-in correctly.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s good that you are able to do all that considering your conditions. I may go ahead and do the oil changes and air filter change myself when I feel better, but I have no idea how to adjust the toe-in correctly.
Wish you were closer, I'd do it for beers. 🤔

A friend that I trust working on my stuff wants to charge me $100 labor at his shop, not including the toe-in adjustment. I might have to go this route.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
... but I have no idea how to adjust the toe-in correctly.
Depending on how the buggy fits on your trailer -

I run one tire against the rail and measure the front and rear distance from the opposite rail, seen here. The distances in front of the axle and behind the axle should be very close to the same. It would be better if the rail was higher on the tire to give me a wider base to measure but, such is life. I pick a smooth spot on the sidewall, not on top of a raised letter.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know exactly what you mean about the spinal arthritis. It’s the kinda pain that can change your demeanor. It’s tough having to sit when there’s much to do. Just take your time, there ain’t no race .

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know exactly what you mean about the spinal arthritis. It’s the kinda pain that can change your demeanor. It’s tough having to sit when there’s much to do. Just take your time, there ain’t no race .
You are 100% correct. Very debilitating. I have Osteoarthritis of the spine from my mid back all the way through my tailbone. I also have osteophytes (bone spurs) a bulging disc. I’m 38 years old and definitely not the man I was 4 years ago.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!