P1000 Dealers won't budge

Feb 7, 2016
WY
I'm joining the P1k5 family soon and have called all around the mountain west (with 4-5 hours drive of my home in west central Wyoming) and the dealers are all quoting MSRP plus delivery charge.

Is there a trick to negotiating this price? I have to admit that I'm not skilled at negotiating so I'm hoping to learn from others here.

Or, it may just be due to my location, it is what it is and just bite the bullet...

Thanks in advance for advice.

D

Deleted member 3748

This is what I do. Go in prepared to walk away. Plan some errands for when you leave, or go have lunch. Get a binder and put in some brochures from other dealers, write down done notes and prices, some prices on used from Craigslist. You want him to know you're shopping around without being too obvious. Then tell him you really want the 1000-5 but it's out of your price range. Ask him if he can come down to $x. Go lower than you really want to pay. If he says no, pause for a few and say I really can't spend that much. Ask him what used SxS he has. If he doesn't move tell him you're going to look at some used SxS elsewhere and leave. Make sure to leave your number in case any used ones come in. Then it's a waiting game. They usually budge before you get out of the door.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm joining the P1k5 family soon and have called all around the mountain west (with 4-5 hours drive of my home in west central Wyoming) and the dealers are all quoting MSRP plus delivery charge.

Is there a trick to negotiating this price? I have to admit that I'm not skilled at negotiating so I'm hoping to learn from others here.

Or, it may just be due to my location, it is what it is and just bite the bullet...

Thanks in advance for advice.

Go to Idaho...
best prices in the US

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I have had a few dealers offer me p1000-5 deluxe for 15800 and p1000-3 eps for 14000 with no haggle. So shop around as my dealer in town wants MSRP.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No way I'd pay msrp. Expand your search more. It may mean more driving, but its worth it in long run. Dealers pay the same for these machines. The difference is totally with the dealership. Most discount dealers around me advertise for 17200 for a P15D. I paid over a grand less than that with zero fees. Keep looking and good luck.

Feb 7, 2016
WY
Ah, making some progress now. I was hearing 17,200 plus 750 delivery, OTD at 18,810 otd including tax. Machine only.

I've got a couple of offers at 17,600 and 17,700 otd including tax.

I'm making it pretty clear that I'm shopping on price only and won't give a second chance. I'll give my dealers in the county a second shot when I get my best numbers established.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
which model are you looking at exactly?
Camo, red, etc

Feb 7, 2016
WY
I like all the colors so it's really not a big part of the equation. I do not want to pay the extra for camo.

JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
SHOP, BE PATIENT, DONT BE AFRAID TO DRIVE A LITTLE, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP. Get on the Honda Powersports site and search dealers.
I shopped all dealers within a 6 hour drive for about a month before buying my 1000-5 Deluxe Camo at Honda of Memphis 2 weeks ago. I wasn't even shopping for a Camo, but walked in and found one they just rolled out onto the showroom floor for 1200 off the MSRP and no delivery or set up fee...... I couldnt throw my money at them fast enough.The dealers vary WIDELY in price from what Ive seen, and some of them are greedy! 2 dealers less than an hour apart from me in MS... for Red or White Deluxe.... one wanted full MSRP 17199 plus 450 delivery, plus set up fee, plus doc fee, about 18k OTD before tax.... the other only wanted 15800 OTD before tax, only an hour apart. I ended up circling back to Honda of Memphis a couple of weeks ago because all they had was red the first time I called and I decided to wait.... Its only about 30 mins from me so I just popped in there on my day off (after walking out of the local MS place that wouldn't budge off full MSRP for the second time) and BAM! got a Camo Deluxe for 16799+99doc fee.... Im just across the state line in MS so no tax on that day (maybe later, TBD lol)... But 16900 OTD I was happy. They sell the other colors for 16k if anyone is close enough to check them out. I had a great experience there.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pay cash if you can and they will give you a cash price out the door. Refuse setup and destination fees ( it's just padded profit for them ). When they give you a final price round the number down and say your superstitious because it feels better to be rounded down to the nearest hundred. I know it sounds weird but it works and it is usually enough to cover your gas and lunch that day. Also don't forget to talk about accessories you would like to have through out the negotiations. if the price is what you like ask for 10% off of accessories befor you agree.

B

Bevo1971

Oct 19, 2015
Pay cash if you can and they will give you a cash price out the door. Refuse setup and destination fees ( it's just padded profit for them ). When they give you a final price round the number down and say your superstitious because it feels better to be rounded down to the nearest hundred. I know it sounds weird but it works and it is usually enough to cover your gas and lunch that day. Also don't forget to talk about accessories you would like to have through out the negotiations. if the price is what you like ask for 10% off of accessories befor you agree.
Destination is not a fake number! All dealers pay to have them delivered to them thats why its on the web sight

B

Bobman13

Jan 30, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Canyon Honda in Nampa/Caldwell gave me a fair deal on my P3 ask for sales man Aaron Moore great guy and the staff was excellent.

Andrew

Andrew

Feb 23, 2016
Louisville ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
15300 plus tax out the door price, no extra costs for pioneer 1000 5 deluxe, I have to wait till may to get it tho there are 11 people on a waiting list in front of me

900cfi

Aug 3, 2015
Priced a 1000 5 with full cab,rear canvas cab,heater,wiper,bumper and winch and the dealer wants $37,600 after tax.I was buying a Honda but not a chance for that price.I only paid that for my new f-150 fx4 3 years ago.I live in Canada.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Priced a 1000 5 with full cab,rear canvas cab,heater,wiper,bumper and winch and the dealer wants $37,600 after tax.I was buying a Honda but not a chance for that price.I only paid that for my new f-150 fx4 3 years ago.I live in Canada.
Where in Canada? How much tax? Was that the full hard cab?

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
The full hard cab and the Honda winch adds over 5000 to the price, not to mention the taxes.. I would guess you also had the glass windshield on there as well... How much was the price just for the machine?

900cfi

Aug 3, 2015
The full hard cab and the Honda winch adds over 5000 to the price, not to mention the taxes.. I would guess you also had the glass windshield on there as well... How much was the price just for the machine?
21000 for the machine.When did sxs start costing as much as a truck.I can get a Polaris or canam for a ton less money with the same options.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
21000 for the machine.When did sxs start costing as much as a truck.I can get a Polaris or canam for a ton less money with the same options.
You need a new dealer, basic machine in Manitoba is 19500 according to Honda Canada website.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!