P1000 Dealers won't budge

900cfi

Aug 3, 2015
Sounds like yer gettin hosed ay.
I will just buy a Polaris or Canam.37000 for a pioneer or 24000 for a Ranger with a cab,heater,winch,wiper kit,heated seats and 26000 for a defender with the same accessories as the Ranger.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
I also have been looking all across the Southwest US for a Pk5. The one trend I have noticed is some Honda dealers are only advertising pricing on the camo models? All others are "call for quote"

While I was at a dealer in Tucson, I asked about pricing and MSRP and was told that dealers are only allowed by Honda to advertise MSRP and the dealers asking for call for quotes are selling below MSRP?

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
For those having difficulties getting dealers to come down from MSRP, if you are a member of COSTCO, I'd recommend you use the COSTCO auto buying service. Give them a call and they will have the nearest participating dealership get in contact with you, the dealership should give you the COSTCO price in an email or at least over the phone (which you can then later verify is the COSTCO approved price, for some reason COSTCO won't give you this info first). The discount should be at least $1200 from MSRP, plus 15% off accessories. With this quote in hand you have leverage to negotiate with dealers that might be nearer to you. If your quote comes to say $15k, you can take it to other dealers and, without revealing the specific figure you already have, say you already have an offer below MSRP but if they can offer a vehicle in the mid-$14k range then they have a deal.

There may be other auto buying services that you can try also through your bank or credit union too.

UTRider

UTRider

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2016
Pleasant Grove, UT
First off, thanks @Cook for the Costco idea. So I just got a price locally with the Costco discount, and also found out some other interesting news. First the Costco deal:

1. As stated above, you get %15 off of accessories.
  2. Costco has a pre-negotiated price with participating dealers that is $16,500.00 before tax and state licensing (also no freight or handling charges) for the deluxe trim
  3. The dealers sign up for this program, because it is a no haggle price. So if they agree to that price that Costco has set, they will not go down anymore.

The other interesting news I found out from the dealer here in Utah is that there is a California version of the Pioneer that dealers in the Mountain West are buying up and selling cheaper. The only difference with this model are the type of springs they are using. Because it is a softer spring, the bed capacity is only 600 Lbs. The dealer is going to get back to me with a price. He said that Honda is having a hard time selling this model in California, and they are getting them for way below cost.

Seems to me that a softer spring would also make for a smoother ride. I'm new to the world of SxS and 4x4'ing, so I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not. Does anyone have opinions on this? Is it worth the sacrifice, just to get this machine a bit cheaper?

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
First off, thanks @Cook for the Costco idea. So I just got a price locally with the Costco discount, and also found out some other interesting news. First the Costco deal:

2. Costco has a pre-negotiated price with participating dealers that is $16,500.00 before tax and state licensing (also no freight or handling charges) for the deluxe trim
  3. The dealers sign up for this program, because it is a no haggle price. So if they agree to that price that Costco has set, they will not go down anymore.

The other interesting news I found out from the dealer here in Utah is that there is a California version of the Pioneer that dealers in the Mountain West are buying up and selling cheaper. The only difference with this model are the type of springs they are using. Because it is a softer spring, the bed capacity is only 600 Lbs. The dealer is going to get back to me with a price. He said that Honda is having a hard time selling this model in California, and they are getting them for way below cost.

Seems to me that a softer spring would also make for a smoother ride. I'm new to the world of SxS and 4x4'ing, so I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not. Does anyone have opinions on this? Is it worth the sacrifice, just to get this machine a bit cheaper?
Where are these dealers?!?! I know I'm not paying MSRP and they won't budge either. Pretty messed up that they'll discount them for an out of state dealer but not a local customer. Not questioning your statement, but do you trust the source? And if so, who's selling them in CA?

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles

Grilling my local dealer as we speak, well, type. Thanks for the awesome leg-up in the negotiation.

Reactions: UTRider
UTRider

UTRider

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2016
Pleasant Grove, UT
Where are these dealers?!?! I know I'm not paying MSRP and they won't budge either. Pretty messed up that they'll discount them for an out of state dealer but not a local customer. Not questioning your statement, but do you trust the source? And if so, who's selling them in CA?
The dealers I am talking to have been in Wyoming and Utah. The one I talked to today in UT is the one that told me this. They are an official Honda Powersports dealer. NOTE: he said they are buying them from Honda. If you can't get a deal in Cali, try Nevada or Southern Utah. It wouldn't be that far of a drive.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Not a terrible idea. Just seems wacky to drive to Utah to buy a discounted CA bike, that I'm bringing back to CA! F'n dealers. Also, even though my P1k will live on the ranch almost exclusively, if I decided to do some destination riding I wonder if I should be concerned with driving a non-CA bike. So screwy. Anyhow. I cut and pasted your exact post and sent it to the sales guy I've been working with and he's gonna run the info past the manager. Curious what they say.

Feb 7, 2016
WY

Is there a way to tell if it's the "California version" on the machine? I would think the reduced bed capacity would have to be disclosed for safety reasons.

UTRider

UTRider

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2016
Pleasant Grove, UT
Is there a way to tell if it's the "California version" on the machine? I would think the reduced bed capacity would have to be disclosed for safety reasons.
This is all an assumption, but I would think the model numbers and owners manual would differ from the standard model. Just a guess though. Does anyone have a CA model that can confirm?

Funny thing is, I originally thought the CA model meant Canada. I didn't think they would make a different machine setup just for California. Does anyone know why in California they need to have the softer suspension?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Because they are liberals

Feb 7, 2016
WY
This is all an assumption, but I would think the model numbers and owners manual would differ from the standard model. Just a guess though. Does anyone have a CA model that can confirm?

Funny thing is, I originally thought the CA model meant Canada. I didn't think they would make a different machine setup just for California. Does anyone know why in California they need to have the softer suspension?

CA requires a different exhaust system of some sort which takes up some room, altering the springs that can be used and thus lowering the payload capacity. I'm not sure where I read that and cannot verify its accuracy but it seems plausible.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
CA requires a different exhaust system of some sort which takes up some room, altering the springs that can be used and thus lowering the payload capacity. I'm not sure where I read that and cannot verify its accuracy but it seems plausible.
I read the same thing however, I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. Because we (California's) are apparently sue happy, every little thing has to be made "safe". What this entails is what is a "payload"? I think they cut it back with out changing a damn thing because if you say the machine has a 1000lb payload, and then stick two adults back there, and THEN cram 1000lbs behind those seats and someone gets hurt. SUE SUE SUE!!!! That and/or I heard someone mention on this site that if the machine has all that payload capacity and horsepower it starts to hit a different classification, and, in order to be just a UTV it cannot be capable of blah blah blah... Personally, I think it is the exact same machine. So far there hasn't been a single person who can definitively prove the differences, hence, why I say they just say it's a different payload capacity in order to be compliant. But I do think the payload vs passenger+payload issue makes the most sense.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Grilling my local dealer as we speak, well, type. Thanks for the awesome leg-up in the negotiation.
"Just spoke with S****, and we are in the process of becoming one of those dealerships. As soon as I know our price when the deal is done connecting Costco with our dealership, I'll be sure to relay the information on to you. As far as accessories go, whether we are connected with Costco in time for your purchase, I can certainly match the 15% off for the accessories."

Not bad. Thanks again @UTRider

Reactions: UTRider
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I'm not sure how it works but when I was talking with my Nevada dealer he told me he loses a lot of sales from California people because he can not sell a 49 state model to someone with a CA ID.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Yup. Just wait, if Trump wins, I'll have to pay international shipping rates because CA will secede from the Union. That aside, I think I'll stick with the rivers and streams that I'm used to and pick one up local. Thrilled about @UTRider's insight for getting some kind of price break, finally. And, I may have broken some ground for new SoCal riders as well. Now I'm caught between this model and next year's model, and we all know, it's all about next year's model.

Feb 7, 2016
WY
Yup. Just wait, if Trump wins, I'll have to pay international shipping rates because CA will secede from the Union. That aside, I think I'll stick with the rivers and streams that I'm used to and pick one up local. Thrilled about @UTRider's insight for getting some kind of price break, finally. And, I may have broken some ground for new SoCal riders as well. Now I'm caught between this model and next year's model, and we all know, it's all about next year's model.

I'm tempted to wait for next year's model, maybe the clutch and gearing issues will be solved at that point. When, approximately, would the 17 model be out?

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I'm tempted to wait for next year's model, maybe the clutch and gearing issues will be solved at that point. When, approximately, would the 17 model be out?
I've heard talk around here maybe in the fall.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!