P500 Difference between the 2015s and 2018s?

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Actually went to the closest dealer which was 50 miles away and test drove a Pioneer 500. Very educational.

I was able to compare it to every other 50" machine on the market and realized there are some very stark differences.

I am 6'2" and the Honda was a very tight fit. I got in and didn't think I was going to be able to drive it for more than a half hour at a time due to the lack of leg room. My knees start hurting if they are in a bent position for much more than half an hour. The position of the gas pedal and brake pedal was awkward. Seat was fine, head room was fine. I liked the overall length and handling. Power was fine. The rear rack was bigger than I expected.

Test drive went well and I didn't really notice the awkward pedal position or cramped leg room as much as I thought I would.

Then I looked at the CF Moto. Got in and my right knee rested against the dashboard. No way that would work. Plus, the materials were obviously Chinese and cheap. Wrote it off immediately.

Then I got into a Can Am Maverick Trail 800. Felt like I was getting into a race car. Super comfy with all the controls in easy reach and good quality. Decent leg room. I then noticed it had what the Honda was missing; storage space. It had two glove boxes with plenty of room for a phone, keys, first aid kit, and my pistol. The Honda had zero storage. The Honda rear rack was much bigger and more versatile, but the Maverick's was still big enough for my dog to ride in; barely.

Definitely noticed the Maverick's increased wheelbase. It is two feet longer than the Pioneer! That will make a substantial difference in negotiating smaller trails.

Maverick is definitely way sexier than the Honda...

5b32605bfd7b6409883ebea1.jpg

Went to another dealer that had the Polaris Razr 570 and the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail 800.

First up was the Wildcat. Got in and both knees hit the dash. Immediately dismissed it.

Then I reluctantly looked at the Polaris Razr 570.

Perfect! Great leg room, great controls, rear rack had plenty of room for my dog, overall size was great. Polaris is running a promotion with $1000 off the price.

But, Polaris is junk, IMHO. It seems buying one is a crap shoot and I've seen and heard plenty of horror stories about them. Too bad, because it was the perfect machine for me.

So now I'm torn between the Honda and the Can Am.

The local dealer sells them for $9500 with no destination or set up fee and he includes $750 worth of options that you get to choose. I chose a roof, 3500lb winch, street legal mirror and horn kit. He suggested upgrading to 26" tires ASAP. Total price out the door including tax and title, full tank, all accessories installed and ready to go was $10,200. Monthly payment through my credit union would be $190.

The Maverick is $12900 before tax and title and includes no destination charge or prep fees, but also no accessories. I would have to fabricate or buy a top. Street legal kit is another $120 for mirrors and horn installed.

Pretty substantial price increase. Payment would be around $250 a month.

The Honda is a more task-friendly machine and is perfect for chores and low speed trail exploring for a couple of hours. It is more reliable. It is perfect for short-range trips into the woods to explore an area or retrieve game. Especially since it has a ridiculously small fuel capacity of 4 gallons. The Mavericks holds 10 and the Razyr 7.

The Maverick is best suited for day long trips and exploring gated off logging roads.

I really need to figure out what exactly my needs are and if I can live with the cramped and utilitarian Honda after getting a taste of the luxurious Can Am.
I did the same thing. Looked and looked, for over a year. I’m 6’ and I fit good in my 500. My brother has a Can Am Renagade special edition something, haha, and we took a 180 mile trip and I was between that and a RZR. The RZR was uncomfortable for me and the CanAm wasn’t much better. And plus the Can Am was hotter in the cab than the Honda. Very nice, everything in it. But it has cup holders in the centre between the seats and the bottles were hot after a couple hours. My brothers Can Am blew a belt moving some rocks and the brother with the RZR blew one hauling wood. As I say to them’ rubber band bikes.’ Haha . They don’t like that. I’ve never had a problem with any shaft drive atv I’ve ever owned. And they were put through hell and back. My friend has a 500 Sportsman and he was stuck on a rock in a river and when he finally got off the bike still wouldn’t move. He had to drain the water from the bike. The belt got wet. I’ve been pretty deep in muddy water and I wasn’t worried. I would be in my brothers RZR. And the CanAm my brother has is a lot lower than my Honda 500. Hope this helped with your decision. Rubber bands will break. Shaft drive will take a beating. There is probably gonna be a few upset people over the rubber band comment. Kidding.
Haha. Not kidding. Good luck. I know how you feel.
Caper

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Near Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID.

Would love to be able to go on some rides. Wanted to do a jeep poker run but I never trusted my Jeep enough to make it. Nor my Polaris Sportsman. That's why I want a Honda. The last thing I want to worry about 30 miles in the mountains from the nearest town and in wolf and bear country is my vehicle dying and leaving me stranded.
Buy a newer 500 or bigger and hit the NF road north from Burgdorf Hot Springs to the French Creek Switchbacks turn right along Salmon River Turn right onto Centennial Trail get lost find an awesome lake and see a big wolf. Find the right trail/road and come back out at the Secesh community along Warren Wagon Rd. Make two rights back to Burgdorf. About 60+_ miles of insane terrain and unequaled beauty. Like no where else on earth. Land of the Squatch. Do it on a Honda Pioneer. Ain't no other way! Get lost and Live a little!
IMG 1880
Image 5 23 18 at 401 PM
Image 5 23 18 at 402 PM
Image 5 23 18 at 403 PM
Image 5 9 18 at 828 PM

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually went to the closest dealer which was 50 miles away and test drove a Pioneer 500. Very educational.

I was able to compare it to every other 50" machine on the market and realized there are some very stark differences.

I am 6'2" and the Honda was a very tight fit. I got in and didn't think I was going to be able to drive it for more than a half hour at a time due to the lack of leg room. My knees start hurting if they are in a bent position for much more than half an hour. The position of the gas pedal and brake pedal was awkward. Seat was fine, head room was fine. I liked the overall length and handling. Power was fine. The rear rack was bigger than I expected.

Test drive went well and I didn't really notice the awkward pedal position or cramped leg room as much as I thought I would.

Then I looked at the CF Moto. Got in and my right knee rested against the dashboard. No way that would work. Plus, the materials were obviously Chinese and cheap. Wrote it off immediately.

Then I got into a Can Am Maverick Trail 800. Felt like I was getting into a race car. Super comfy with all the controls in easy reach and good quality. Decent leg room. I then noticed it had what the Honda was missing; storage space. It had two glove boxes with plenty of room for a phone, keys, first aid kit, and my pistol. The Honda had zero storage. The Honda rear rack was much bigger and more versatile, but the Maverick's was still big enough for my dog to ride in; barely.

Definitely noticed the Maverick's increased wheelbase. It is two feet longer than the Pioneer! That will make a substantial difference in negotiating smaller trails.

Went to another dealer that had the Polaris Razr 570 and the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail 800.

First up was the Wildcat. Got in and both knees hit the dash. Immediately dismissed it.

Perfect! Great leg room, great controls, rear rack had plenty of room for my dog, overall size was great. Polaris is running a promotion with $1000 off the price.

But, Polaris is junk, IMHO. It seems buying one is a crap shoot and I've seen and heard plenty of horror stories about them. Too bad, because it was the perfect machine for me.

The local dealer sells them for $9500 with no destination or set up fee and he includes $750 worth of options that you get to choose. I chose a roof, 3500lb winch, street legal mirror and horn kit. He suggested upgrading to 26" tires ASAP. Total price out the door including tax and title, full tank, all accessories installed and ready to go was $10,200. Monthly payment through my credit union would be $190.

The Maverick is $12900 before tax and title and includes no destination charge or prep fees, but also no accessories. I would have to fabricate or buy a top. Street legal kit is another $120 for mirrors and horn installed.

The Honda is a more task-friendly machine and is perfect for chores and low speed trail exploring for a couple of hours. It is more reliable. It is perfect for short-range trips into the woods to explore an area or retrieve game. Especially since it has a ridiculously small fuel capacity of 4 gallons. The Mavericks holds 10 and the Razyr 7.

The Maverick is best suited for day long trips and exploring gated off logging roads.

I really need to figure out what exactly my needs are and if I can live with the cramped and utilitarian Honda after getting a taste of the luxurious Can Am.
Leg room? I'm 6'9" and after a while my left knee starts hurting so I ride where I can with my door open and slide my foot out the door a little. I have more serious knee issues though. I have done some distances on mine for sure. The longest being last year on it's maiden voyage with @CumminsPusher we did 249 miles in two days. Freaking awesome that was. I'll be in Idaho soon If'n you wanna ride.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
9EE9C474 3C06 4D69 A4A3 7F471FB46142

I put gas cans on each side . I strap them in . I can go probably over 300 miles. The metal holder I cut to fit the Can and that has two bolts down through. Work great.
Caper

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 81491
I put gas cans on each side . I strap them in . I can go probably over 300 miles. The metal holder I cut to fit the Can and that has two bolts down through. Work great.
Caper

Nice! Looks solid and you kept them tucked in. Good work Caper.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Ended up buying a red 2018 from a local dealer for $8700. Pick it up next week after they install a top, winch, and street legal kit which is mirrors and a horn.
Pictures or it didn't happen! :) Congratulations on the new ride- Red is a good color.

Reactions: Caper
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
DSC01230
DSC01230
My thoughts on the 15 vs 17 gearing after a good workout in the P-5 today.We have a locker now,time to ask for a dual range tranny,yep,10 foward gears,2 reverse! With 26 inch Maxxis BH 2.0's,to me the gearing is ok on my 17,but I miss having the ultra low gearing with stock tires.Do I want too much? Don't get me wrong,I still love this thing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!