ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Don’t get me wrong, I still love the machine but I just wish it didn’t have all the noises and clunking with the shifting. I only shift manually, in the automatic mode it clunks much worse. I do have 26 tires on it, maybe that’s a contributing factor. It would seem to me that the clunking factor, if it doesn’t get better, would effect the long term durability. The awful braking noise is when I’m descending a steep hill and am in 1st gear, I’m lightly braking to get a little more control. One thing I didn’t ever do is adjust the clutch, I figured I shouldn’t have to with only 350 low speed miles. But at your recommendations that’s what I will try next. Thanks

Do not worry about hurting the machine. That noise is normal. Do not be afraid to run it hard either. At 350 miles you aren't even close to being broken in. Open it up. Run through the gears wide open. Foot to the floor, slam the brakes. It needs it. Eventually the machine will smooth a bit, and you will be less sensitive to the normal noises they make. My rear brakes used to drive me nuts too. High pitched squealing most of the time until I really worked them. Then they would quiet down until the next time I went for a ride. I bought new pads but mine were still like new. They last a LONG time. I had my 500 for over 4000 miles and I didn't baby it. I ran it wide open literally every time I rode it.

Seriously, go run it hard. You need to get the rings seated and now that you have synthetic oil in it, it will take longer to do that.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Watched 3 different machines try to climb a hill of sugar sand. Ranger didn't make it, another P5 didn't make it, a P1k would've made it but about 3/4's of the way up there was a tight turn with a tree on the inside, he was too wide so he didn't make it either. Couldn't get much of a run at it so I was wot in 3rd when I hit it. RPM's were still pretty high when I felt it start to dig but I grabbed 2nd anyway, that was a violently hard shift! Wicked crack and rpm's went through the roof as my foot never left the floor so it wasn't very pleasant sounding to say the least.
Ugly as sh** and never graceful but it made it to the top of that f***ing hill! :eek:

The Hill

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Watched 3 different machines try to climb a hill of sugar sand. Ranger didn't make it, another P5 didn't make it, a P1k would've made it but about 3/4's of the way up there was a tight turn with a tree on the inside, he was too wide so he didn't make it either. Couldn't get much of a run at it so I was wot in 3rd when I hit it. RPM's were still pretty high when I felt it start to dig but I grabbed 2nd anyway, that was a violently hard shift! Wicked crack and rpm's went through the roof as my foot never left the floor so it wasn't very pleasant sounding to say the least.
Ugly as sh** and never graceful but it made it to the top of that f***ing hill! :eek:

View attachment 178916
The guys that I ride with primarily all have 1000's and at the very least 700s. While they can kick my butt in speed I go more places than they can because of my size, and in the mountains of southeastern Washington and Northern Idaho I have never been unable to go anywhere they can off road or on logging roads.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
The noise was disappointing to me too, because it sounds like something is WRONG - with the valve train noise, driveline noise, rear differential noise... But, I just decided to ignore it and trust Honda and the dudes on this forum - and it hasn't let me down! I love it. I've gotten over it, and I've come to a realization...I think that Honda did all of the R&D with helmets on. BECAUSE - the noise/vibration/harshness is greatly reduced just by wearing a helmet - which they assume you WILL be wearing. Synthetic oils/lubes have made a slight difference in NVH as well. Here's a picture from today!

IMG 2306

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Another thought on the noise, once I added a roof I noticed it is much louder. Added a 1/2 (more like 1/3) windshield and it may be even a little bit louder.
I don’t sweat the noises anymore, it just works. Change the oil and keep the air filter clean and keep on riding!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have to admit I am disappointed with my 17 model 500. I have other Honda ATV that seem to run forever with no issues. I have tried all different ways to shift it as recommended, changed oil 3 times, most recently to synthetic. It has only 350 miles on it, and wish full thinking is that it will get better. I only use it for hunting and my average speed is 5 - 15 mph Sometimes it shifts smooth as silk, and other times it shifts with a loud clunk, for no rhyme or reason. Seems to me Honda should of done a little more R&D before they released it to market. And what’s with the awful noises and vibrations when you slowly brake down a hill. I find these problems unacceptable and not up to the Honda quality I once knew
With 3500 miles and synthetics in the diffs mine shifts smooth and quiet. 👍

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have to admit I am disappointed with my 17 model 500. I have other Honda ATV that seem to run forever with no issues. I have tried all different ways to shift it as recommended, changed oil 3 times, most recently to synthetic. It has only 350 miles on it, and wish full thinking is that it will get better. I only use it for hunting and my average speed is 5 - 15 mph Sometimes it shifts smooth as silk, and other times it shifts with a loud clunk, for no rhyme or reason. Seems to me Honda should of done a little more R&D before they released it to market. And what’s with the awful noises and vibrations when you slowly brake down a hill. I find these problems unacceptable and not up to the Honda quality I once knew

be sure to pull all the way up on the paddle when shifting. That engages the fuel cut off momentarily. Adjust the clutch also.

Reactions: rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I got the P500 because it was what I wanted in a sxs. I also wanted the auto shift. I didn't expect it to be so clunky and noisy. Mine is also a 2017 and I run it in auto 95% of the time that's one of the main reasons I bought it. Change the oils out and drive the hell out of it. It will get better. I'm not a crazy go fast type of person but you do need to crank it up once in a while. Use all the gears.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
8750 miles on my 2015 P5-first repair is a boot on the pilot shaft joint. Being replaced at this time. Shifting-I think it is all in the operators fingers! Put some time in it and you will find a comfy way to shift. You will love it & it is up to Honda standards. My only irrational is the rear end gear noise-have put 85/140 sub gear oil better but still noisy. Happy trails

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
If you don't like to wear a helmet, buy cheap ear plugs, you'll be amazed at all of the sounds you won't hear. Try it, just for fun. You can get them at the drug store or hardware store. I wear them any time I'm out without a passenger to talk to, and they help me love the P500 even more. (I also wear them because I've got hearing damage from that damn Harley I used to run with drag pipes on it, but that's another story.)

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
It’s true!
If you don't like to wear a helmet, buy cheap ear plugs, you'll be amazed at all of the sounds you won't hear. Try it, just for fun. You can get them at the drug store or hardware store. I wear them any time I'm out without a passenger to talk to, and they help me love the P500 even more. (I also wear them because I've got hearing damage from that damn Harley I used to run with drag pipes on it, but that's another story.)
It’s true! I liked my P500 best when I was riding in the cold wearing my balaclava and helmet, just couldn’t hear the noises.

Reactions: 70Bones and rtn001
M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
I have 9800 miles on our 2015 P 5....yep they are noisy however not one breakdown. We ride with friends that have Can Am Commander and a Law pyrex-I have risen and driven both. They are no better for noise or vibration, even at their high purchase cost. I am not embarrassed to go trail riding with our P5 as it will come home and carry extra fuel for the Polaris riders.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

Recommend shifting manually. When doing that be sure to pull the paddle all the way up to ensure the fuel cutoff is engaged for a smoother upshift. Downshifting can be clunky as you mentioned. Synthetic is a liitle to soon. Run regular oil for at least 2-3 service intervals before going to synthetic to allow better breakin. Also, try adjusting the clutch per the manual. This is very simple and cures a lot of shifting issues. I've heard that more miles smoothes out the noise and vibrations.....mine is still pretty new and I'm used to it now. Sure hope your machine works out for you.....they are bulletproof and little tanks when other machines are prone to issues. I ride deep into rugged areas for multiday trips and reliability is my top requirement. Enjoy!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have 9800 miles on our 2015 P 5....yep they are noisy however not one breakdown. We ride with friends that have Can Am Commander and a Law pyrex-I have risen and driven both. They are no better for noise or vibration, even at their high purchase cost. I am not embarrassed to go trail riding with our P5 as it will come home and carry extra fuel for the Polaris riders.
There you have it....👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Recommend shifting manually. When doing that be sure to pull the paddle all the way up to ensure the fuel cutoff is engaged for a smoother upshift.
Right here......😎

Reactions: rtn001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!