P500 Disappointed with my 500

U

ueleywiLuckyshot

Jul 25, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
I have to admit I am disappointed with my 17 model 500. I have other Honda ATV that seem to run forever with no issues. I have tried all different ways to shift it as recommended, changed oil 3 times, most recently to synthetic. It has only 350 miles on it, and wish full thinking is that it will get better. I only use it for hunting and my average speed is 5 - 15 mph Sometimes it shifts smooth as silk, and other times it shifts with a loud clunk, for no rhyme or reason. Seems to me Honda should of done a little more R&D before they released it to market. And what’s with the awful noises and vibrations when you slowly brake down a hill. I find these problems unacceptable and not up to the Honda quality I once knew

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have to admit I am disappointed with my 17 model 500. I have other Honda ATV that seem to run forever with no issues. I have tried all different ways to shift it as recommended, changed oil 3 times, most recently to synthetic. It has only 350 miles on it, and wish full thinking is that it will get better. I only use it for hunting and my average speed is 5 - 15 mph Sometimes it shifts smooth as silk, and other times it shifts with a loud clunk, for no rhyme or reason. Seems to me Honda should of done a little more R&D before they released it to market. And what’s with the awful noises and vibrations when you slowly brake down a hill. I find these problems unacceptable and not up to the Honda quality I once knew
Sounds just like my 17 when it was new. It now has 2700 miles and WAY smoother shifting now and the braking vibes are for the most part non existent. Yours is still new.

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
At 3600 miles mine is smooth and quiet as I row through the gears. The differential noise is gone, especially after I went to Mobil 1 75/140 at the 2000 mile mark.

Question: Are you shifting manually or using the automatic? I tried the auto first, and didn't like where and how hard it shifted. Run on manual all the time now, probably shift at higher RPM than necessary, but it makes that F1 sound when you do. Also, other than when I stop, I try to downshift manually as well.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adjust the clutch and drive the wheels off of it. The P500s are tanks!

snkyach

snkyach

Jan 24, 2020
Warsaw MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I picked mine up from the dealer I backed it off the trailer at my uncles farm. 2 miles. I thought the transmission was out of it. 350 miles later it is buttery smooth. So quiet compared to the Polaris machines I ride with. Hope yours improves too!

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Mine doesn't have very many miles, either. I LOVE IT!! But yeah, very stiff at first. And yes, it shifts differently than my Foreman.

Keep running it. Don't baby it; shift manually, shift often. It's a damn good machine. I do feel that SxSs have a LOT more vibrations than quads. It may need some time spent at higher speed and RPMs. Stretch its wings.

Now, if you're not happy with the ride quality, that's different!

Bright side: it you decide to sell, it will move in a heartbeat.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
As others have said, with some miles & small adjustments they get much smoother. This trans isn't a new design by any stretch, it's the same trans that's been in use in the Foreman line since the early 2000's.

When your ready to tear into it check out this link, it really smooths out the ultra low gearing and calms down the RPMs at trail speeds

P500 Gearing Mod
P500 - A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I didn't purchase a 500 the first time and now a 2 or 3 time owner, but the first experience of "clunk" when going into gear was annoying and felt it was a design flaw. To fast forward, the clunk is widely known and as stated by others, these units are bullet proof and agree with many of the comments above (miles/time will help, synthetic oil, etc).

In addition and assuming you are running stock tires, try starting off in 2nd and when you shift let off the gas and it should smoothly switch into 3, 4, etc., gear.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Most of the clunk will go away, if not then perhaps its driver error in shifting, every person that has driven mine gets the clunk from shifting until they learn. As far as down hill, I seldom use my brakes, it's gears are so low you don't have to, just drop it to a lower gear.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nothing, I repeat nothing, is built as good they used to. Everybody has added technology, electronics etc. while shaving weight and cutting costs. My old Fourtrax 350 4x4 is a tank compared to anything rolling out the doors these days. Look at what Briggs and Stratton has done to itself trying to keep up with china. They sound like a couple washers rattling around inside a tin can. It's just life now. The good news for you is that there are some experienced owners here to help you through your concerns.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There are certain specific situations where it's always going to clunk. There's just no way around it. But for the most part, you can learn to shift it smoothly 95% of the time with practice in manual.
Also, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, and use synthetic oil.

I was never a big fan of Honda's ESP shifting when it came out. Using an electric motor to move the same linkage that you foot used to was a novel ideal, but the trouble was it will never do it as well as a practiced foot/throttle hand.
The current version with the ignition (or fuel) cut out is way smoother than I ever thought it would be (and obviously, you can't shift with your foot here), but the 500 would be so much better with the DCT it'll probably get soon.

U

ueleywiLuckyshot

Jul 25, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Don’t get me wrong, I still love the machine but I just wish it didn’t have all the noises and clunking with the shifting. I only shift manually, in the automatic mode it clunks much worse. I do have 26 tires on it, maybe that’s a contributing factor. It would seem to me that the clunking factor, if it doesn’t get better, would effect the long term durability. The awful braking noise is when I’m descending a steep hill and am in 1st gear, I’m lightly braking to get a little more control. One thing I didn’t ever do is adjust the clutch, I figured I shouldn’t have to with only 350 low speed miles. But at your recommendations that’s what I will try next. Thanks

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Here is one thread that educated me on which gear oil to consider, and that it has hypoid gears. Guess they are noisier, but betting more durable. Like you I seldom use Auto mode, and downshifting for engine braking. Good luck.
P500 - Diff synthetic oil recommended P5
This was a while back, but this roof mounted radio helped. Polaris site doesn’t list them anymore bit might be on Ebay.
P500 - MTX Overhead Audio Pod fits!

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t get me wrong, I still love the machine but I just wish it didn’t have all the noises and clunking with the shifting. I only shift manually, in the automatic mode it clunks much worse. I do have 26 tires on it, maybe that’s a contributing factor. It would seem to me that the clunking factor, if it doesn’t get better, would effect the long term durability. The awful braking noise is when I’m descending a steep hill and am in 1st gear, I’m lightly braking to get a little more control. One thing I didn’t ever do is adjust the clutch, I figured I shouldn’t have to with only 350 low speed miles. But at your recommendations that’s what I will try next. Thanks
If you’re driving in manual mode, don’t ever let up when you shift. Let the pioneer do its thing. 26” tires aren’t a problem, I had 26’s on mine with no issues.

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I put in lucas synthetic, forget the weight in the front and back of mine and it helped, so does the underseat insulation. However have you ridden in a Ranger with a full cab, the noise is much greater than the P500. No its not a refined shift and i have had the noise braking going down hill but now i just down shift instead. But for all of that it is an amazing machine. I mainly use mine for hunting and it goes every where. Like my rancher but i stay dry and warm.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!