P1000 Disconnect battery when welding?

tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Planning on doing some fabrication on my front bumper. I have a question to those of you that have done cage chops and hitch fixes, are you disconnecting the battery before welding on your machines? I know it is recommended when welding on our big trucks supposedly so you don't fry the computer. Any thoughts?

Reactions: pct and sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Planning on doing some fabrication on my front bumper. I have a question to those of you that have done cage chops and hitch fixes, are you disconnecting the battery before welding on your machines? I know it is recommended when welding on our big trucks supposedly so you don't fry the computer. Any thoughts?
I do. It can't hurt.

Reactions: pct, sharp and JTW
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's what I was always told...but I must admit I never did it.(Never did much welding)

Better safe than sorry, though.

Reactions: pct and sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's always good practice to disconnect the battery when welding on a vehicle. On newer vehicles it is also recommended to disconnect engine and chassis modules but if you have a good ground close to where you are doing your welding you're probably safe with just the battery disconnected.

Reactions: sharp and pct
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That recommendation comes from general safe welding practice. What damages sensitive components ie. bearings and electronics is the flow of electrons during the welding process...and what the welder must consider before starting the job is the placement of the ground cable in relation to the arc.

Remember, you can do SEVERE damage to bearings and gears as well as delicate electronics with a misplaced ground cable. Understand what you are doing before you strike an arc. Disconnecting the battery is a good way to protect electronics but consider your ground placement to protect other components as well.

Reactions: sharp
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OTC 3386 Antizap Auto Surge Protector - 12 V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5JLP0/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I use one of these on the trucks at work, along with keeping the ground as close as possible to where the work will be done on the rig. But have been threatened by previous empoyers because I didn't disconnect the batterys, and was told that they had to replace a $3500 ecm/pcm on a truck once because they were left conected

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the feedback. New machine jitters I guess. Just planning on spot welds to get things lined up and then removing to finish.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Welding is very simple positive charge meets negative at point of contact things get hot and melt together.
So if you got a good clean ground on what your welding on you should be fine, but if you clamp your ground on the motor and weld on the frame you are more then likely going to fry some electronics same scenario grounding through bearings.

Reactions: popeye
advertisement
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
It only take 2 seconds to disconnect the battery, I have always disconnected the battery before welding just to be safe.

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never unhooked the ground but it surely doesn't hurt. And I do place ground clamp close to my work. After reading this thread I probably will unhook battery in the future. Not worth the risk.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!