BOX1

DIY Flatbed Truck UTV mount

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Well a few years ago I rigged up a way to load my P500 in the back of my flatbed by using a second set of ramps to get the front wheels up on the headache rack. The racks never supported load while traveling. I made a post about it on here somewhere. I used some of your guys suggestions and had it where the 500 locked in tight but I still could haul my camper. My final setup used wheel nets over the back tires, chain binder from the front bumper of the 500 to the heache rack of the truck, and a 2 inch ratchet across the footwell, and a final safety chain from the rear hitch of the 500 to the truck. Worked really well. A bit of a pain having to unhitch the camper trailer to unload the Honda but it is what it is.

With my new 700-4 Deluxe arriving soon I wanted to get a similar setup prepared for it. I'm going to bring it home on a trailer so I have some time. Anyways, I was going to build this roof cover to weld to the headache rack so I can bring the 700-4 more forward. This way the rear ROPS would clear the camper when turning and the weight would be more over the rear axle of the truck. Plus with this rack I can do wheel nets on all four tires.

I'm also going to mount a winch to the headache rack that I can run to the rear hitch of the 700-4 to load it up with. On the 500 I just drove it up but I'm going to have a bit steeper ramp angles from the flatbed to the headach rack in order to get it over the roof more and keep the height down. I think with the winch I will increase the safety and it won't be as sketchy. I think for unloading I can probably drive off.

Anyways, here is my design for the rack. It will be a main frame of 2x4 steel with 1x1 square for the wheel platforms and chock. I might even add an LED light bar to it at some point. And I realize I'm not much of an athstetic designer. Hahaha. Ab33a2cd09bf2fa027266591e4620ba0

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Well it took me long enough to post a picture here it is. Setup worked very well. First trip was 900 miles round on interstate, old highways, and dirt roads. Pulled the 23 ft camper behind this. The machine stayed solid and steady the whole time and we stopped to check often. I used portable aluminum ramps up to the flat bed and then a second pair of aluminum ramps from the bed to the rack. I had to cut the second ramps short enough that when the front wheels hit the ramps I could pull them out to load equipment under the Honda.

Future improvements will be to build an improved ramp setup from the bed to the rack. I'm thinking something hinged or semi-permanent to the headache rack that will be wide, consistently aligned, firmly locked in place, and not wobble. It was a little uncomfortable with the skinny ramps being held in place with tiedowns. I also need to relocate some of my tie down points because the wheel straps didn't arrange quite how I hoped. I was still able to get it firmly and safely strapped but it took much longer to do than I wanted. I used Grade 8 hardware to mount all of my tie down points initially and now I will weld the points in the new locations. I want to build a light slide out ladder that has rubber pads for climbing up the side of the truck to reach the rack tie downs. I think I will weld in some gusset plates to strengthen some joints pluse it will help the clunky look. For some asthetics I will be adding some expanded steel and LED work lights.

Overall, a couple hundred bucks in steel and some time got me a functional SxS hauler that still allows me to haul my camper.356c332e4eb27ddb673e67ba957e49bb

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well it took me long enough to post a picture here it is. Setup worked very well. First trip was 900 miles round on interstate, old highways, and dirt roads. Pulled the 23 ft camper behind this. The machine stayed solid and steady the whole time and we stopped to check often. I used portable aluminum ramps up to the flat bed and then a second pair of aluminum ramps from the bed to the rack. I had to cut the second ramps short enough that when the front wheels hit the ramps I could pull them out to load equipment under the Honda.

Future improvements will be to build an improved ramp setup from the bed to the rack. I'm thinking something hinged or semi-permanent to the headache rack that will be wide, consistently aligned, firmly locked in place, and not wobble. It was a little uncomfortable with the skinny ramps being held in place with tiedowns. I also need to relocate some of my tie down points because the wheel straps didn't arrange quite how I hoped. I was still able to get it firmly and safely strapped but it took much longer to do than I wanted. I used Grade 8 hardware to mount all of my tie down points initially and now I will weld the points in the new locations. I want to build a light slide out ladder that has rubber pads for climbing up the side of the truck to reach the rack tie downs. I think I will weld in some gusset plates to strengthen some joints pluse it will help the clunky look. For some asthetics I will be adding some expanded steel and LED work lights.

Overall, a couple hundred bucks in steel and some time got me a functional SxS hauler that still allows me to haul my camper.View attachment 380566

👍
Don't know how much more room your set up would need but, just for the sake of ideas. I helped my buddy add 2' to his flat bed so he could fit his limo up there. Fab'd a set of rails that are used as ramps also. Turned out very useful, later we extended the hitch so the tool box on his trailer wouldn't be an issue with the extended bed.
20181015 0924262

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I like it! I'm not sure if an extension would benefit me due to the 700 wheelbase and the closeness of the camper. I'm definitely going to measure and check though! If nothing else it would be nice for when I haul the 700 without the camper. I will absolutely use the side rail ramp idea.

Reactions: Smittyp and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
👍
Don't know how much more room your set up would need but, just for the sake of ideas. I helped my buddy add 2' to his flat bed so he could fit his limo up there. Fab'd a set of rails that are used as ramps also. Turned out very useful, later we extended the hitch so the tool box on his trailer wouldn't be an issue with the extended bed.
View attachment 380568

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!