P500 DO I NEED A SNORKEL? IS IT JUST FOR WATER/MUDDING?

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Do I need a Snorkel? I dont play much in deep water or mud so do i need a snorkel and is there ANY benefits other than mud/water?

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
I use my P500 five days a week in New Mexico. We have dust that works its way through the seams in your boots and turns your socks brown. After 3600 miles and all the scheduled air filter changes, I have yet to pull one that was dirty on the inside. The outside was a bit of a mess, but not the inside. Also have not noticed a loss of power etc... due to crud on the outside.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Do I need a Snorkel? I dont play much in deep water or mud so do i need a snorkel and is there ANY benefits other than mud/water?
Hey, I dont know where in FL you live but we pretty much have water everywhere! Like @Alan_Vander said, better to have it n not need it the need it n not have it. I just snorkled my P1k5 after seeing my buddy accidentally drive his into a 4' to 5' water filled rut left by a stuck mudd buggy. He never have a chance! You never plan on going swiming but sh** happens ;)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The devils advocate opinion. Woods, dust and muddy riding here. No snorkel because don’t have deep water holes, and if I accidentally flipped in a hole, hope it is not the side with the snorkel. As far as dust, just do air filter maintenance, or even buying new filters periodically is cheaper than cost and labor of snorkeling. Personally I would not buy a used snorkeled vehicle, thinking so much other stuff is likely not designed to be submerged. That said, modding your vehicle to better prepare it for its intended use is smart.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Do you need to snorkel... nope. Mine is a work/play machine in dusty environments, the stock design with intake just behind drivers seat is just silly. With a windshield or cab dust just rolls right into intake area, increasing maintenance significantly. I made a DIY (posted pix in link), if you are the least bit handy they are easy to make and very effective at reducing dust intake. If you value your time and want to minimize air cleaner servicing a snorkel is the way to go. By product is you’re safe for deep water/accidental misadventures. Mine has never been deeper than the floor boards nor is it ever likely to be.
Cheers,
j

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!