P1000 Do I need a valve job?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 2000 miles on my '15 deluxe and she is starting to sputter a little bit and sometimes will die at idle. Could this be the valves in need of adjustment? I have all the updates but have never touched the top end. I ran some lucas injector cleaner in the last tank and didn't make any diff. Any suggestions are appreciated.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It wouldn't hurt to check them but they seem to be good for a really long time. Might want to clean the spark arrestor, new spark plugs and air filter. There are also issues with the crimp in the electrical plug at the injectors.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Typical "valves get out of adjustment" symptons: you might have to give it gas to get it started, and it may not idle without your foot on the gas. 2000 km? I'd bet money that is your problem.
Oh, and a valve job means removing the head and replacing or grinding them; adjusting the valves is a simple maintenance job!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with @snuffnwhisky.
Replace air filter & spark plugs. Clean spark arrester (which is part of every 600 mile service)
If you get a code when it dies at idle. Please record a video and upload to youtube for us to help. If you get a code 12 or 13. Go ahead and order 2 of these and install them. Seems to be a very common issue on 2016's lately.

Honda Pioneer fuel injector wire repair kit. 1000, 700, 500 models.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

Valve clearances seem to move very little. I'd pull plugs first and see what they look like.

Reactions: Smitty335
CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just had mine checked yesterday at the dealership. I have over 5000 miles on it, the mechanic said they rarely need adjusting but he would check to be on the safe side. He said they were fine but my air filter needed changed bad. This will be my 3 rd air filter.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!