Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
What about those trains? HO scale?

Trains? Oh no, no trains in the living room, that is an end table.
HO scale track but using the same scale as O gauge.
So it's a narrow gauge trolley running on an incredibly tight radius loop.
Fun way to experiment with a scale / gauge combination I usally don't play with.

T

Treesniper

May 20, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I put the torque locker in after installing the power steering, and here are my thoughts. The power steering is more useful to me than the locker. The power steering makes driving a pleasure, especially with larger than stock tires. I will say that the locker does make a big difference; I can go up hill now at low speed with less RPMs. Turning radius is hardly effected in 4wd, and noise is insignificant when turning at low speed. The installation of the locker was pretty intimidating for me. I have never opened up a differential on any vehicle before, much less one that is working ok. Anybody else feel like the locker install was challenging ? The power steer installation was a breeze compared to the torq locker, and the power steering is more beneficial in my opinion. Glad I have them both though, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, as a wise man once said.

8714CE08 DC43 4060 BA1E 6F7C243FEB4F 3695D1DC D483 4C37 960F F1C6AB1538CA 72F7B3DD 0C62 4140 B30B 80135BA0F2F7

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Well, I put the torque locker in after installing the power steering, and here are my thoughts. The power steering is more useful to me than the locker. The power steering makes driving a pleasure especially with larger than stock tires. I will say that the locker does make a big difference, I can go up hill now at low speed with less RPMs. Turning radius is hardly effected in 4wd, and noise is insignificant when turning at low speed. The installation of the locker was pretty intimidating for me. I have never opened up a differential on any vehicle before, much less one that is working ok. Anybody else feel like the locker install was challenging ? The power steer installation was a breeze compared to the torq locker, and the power steering is more beneficial in my opinion. Glad I have them both though, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, as a wise man once said.

View attachment 248241 View attachment 248242
Good feedback. I agree that if having to choose just one between the locker and power steering, the power steering wins. As far as the locker install, I was thankful for the good instructions and info from this site. Doubt I would have tried it without those.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Power steering is a convenience.
Locker makes it more capable.

If you don't need more capability, ya don't need the locker.
They both make the buggy much much better!

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
I may have a long wait but I'd like to see a switchable diff lock. Anyone think this will ever come?

Reactions: J80
PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
no.

Honda didn't do it for the p520.
Aftermarket would have to compete with the Torq Locker - market is to small to make money.
My hope is Torq Locker will upgrade the current unit. I may have to start lobbying those guys.

Reactions: J80
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I may have a long wait but I'd like to see a switchable diff lock. Anyone think this will ever come?
Not happening any time soon. In my opinion the locker works great and you don’t know it’s there in 2wd other than the occasional clicking and you don’t really know it’s there in 4wd if you have power steering.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like the torq locker, install it and forget it. Just put in 4wd and go. If anything a rear Turf mode would be nice.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My hope is Torq Locker will upgrade the current unit. I may have to start lobbying those guys.
Pretty sure the 500 locker would work in the 520. Call Cora at Torq Masters or check the Honda OEM parts numbers to see if internals are the same.

Last edited:
T

Treesniper

May 20, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

I thought the same thing, but after installing the torque locker I like the idea of an all mechanical locker, no switch or wiring to fail. Kind of like not having a belt in the transmission to fail.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know on a standard differential if applying the brake while spinning will make the other front wheel start to pull.
I know on a truck that it sometimes works.

It will. The video from Appalachian Mountain Riders shows the host sunk in a hole mashing the brake and getting the other wheel to start to pull. Honestly in my opinion it looked like he was trying to destroy the machine LOL but it worked. I guess if I was all alone far away and got in a jam I might try it but I have a bit too much coin in mine to mash on things like that.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Which locker is recommended?
Only one, Torq Masters. Doubt it would have been manufactured so soon if not for this forum. Some history how it came to be and thanks to the owner Cora.

Last edited:
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
I've had my torque locker in for the past year. Figure I only needed it twice, but was glad I had it in both those situations. Takes the white knuckle out of it when you have the torque locker installed. I use my 500 strictly for deer hunting in Idaho, Colorado and Arizona. If you don't occasionally get into sketchy situations you probably don't need it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!