P500 Do I really need a Torque Locker?

T

Treesniper

May 20, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I mostly ride in the woods through steep terrain, and so far I have not needed a front locker.
When and where do you find yourself using the locker and does it effect the turning radius in 2wd?
Is there noise associated with the locker?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I ride rocky hills and mud with a locker, no loss of traction on climbing, and pulls great in muddy ruts. Worth it for me. Turning radius is addressed starting at about 10 minutes in.

C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
I was sure I would be putting one in when I first bought my 500. But with the 26 Kenda Bearclaws on it I just haven't found the need for any more traction for my riding. And I'm in the woods and swamps a lot. I don't go looking for trouble with mine either but I certainly go through some tougher conditions to get to my hunting spots. It does extremely well as a 3 wheel drive. Guess it depends on where and how you use you machine.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
A sinario to compare the difference.
Stock 24in. Tires REPLACED with 26in. or 27in. Aggressive tread ( good improvement right? ).
Without Tork- Locker to WITH tork-Locker (Simular amount of Improvement as gained with Bigger AgressiveTires ) Now with BOTH a GREAT Improvement .
If you do not get stuck do to high center its hard to stop a Pioneer 5OO with Agressive Tires & Locker.

Noise Sometimes when turning at slow speed it's normal to hear a click.

Turning radius 2wd. or 4wd. nothing that will change your driving habits.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mostly ride in the woods through steep terrain, and so far I have not needed a front locker.
When and where do you find yourself using the locker and does it effect the turning radius in 2wd?
Is there noise associated with the locker?
There will come a time you’ll wish you had it if you ride enough.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Watching that video and seeing the airborne tire spinning uselessly while the other tire did nothing shows the importance of the locker. As he mentioned with limited articulation, it's common for one tire to lift putting you in a 2WD situation.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
My 2bits. I have an '08 660 Grizzly (sorry everyone, I grew up riding Yamaha and, honestly, I still lean towards them). It has a select button that locks the front. And I've actually only locked it in a handful of times. Biggest problem is, on a quad, it makes it a handful to steer (660's don't have power steering). But, saying that, really want to get a locker for my p500. And power steering would make this little Honda go pretty much anywhere my Grizzly goes.

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Everyone else before me pretty much covered it. My experience that pushed me over the line to install one was a really steep 4 wheeler trail, first gear pinned out only, and the trail wrapped around a tree and had me pop over a big root. No matter how many tries or trying to hit it with more speed could get me over it. Tire would pop in the air, instant 2wd, game over. Installed the locker this last spring and tried it again last summer. Cleared on the first try.

Yes it does affect steering stiffness a bit, I don't have power steering, but its not bad and very manageable for me. Turning radius is slightly affected in 4wd, not much. And not at all in 2wd. For me it was well worth it.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Not trying to appear rude or be a jerk, but to answer the title question "Do I really need a torque locker?" The simple straight forward answer is No, but then again you really don't need a Honda Pioneer or any other SxS either because you can always walk.
Personally, I'm glad I got the locker, like you, I don't go looking for trouble, but sometimes you find it anyway. Having a locker might be the difference between getting through a bad situation with ease verses being stuck with no help.
Welcome from Alabama, and good luck with whatever you decide.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
For me the biggest advantage of the locker is being able to slowly navigate obstacles that I would have needed to use brute force and speed to get through before. I don’t go any place with the locker that I didn’t go with out it but I go there with much less effort now. It does make some clicking sounds in 2wd. Steering Is much harder in 4wd and I quickly added power steering after I installed the locker. Turning radius is about the same in 2wd and still a better radius in 4wd than any of the bigger sxs I ride with. Taller tires, wheel spacers, locker and power steering take the p5 to another level in comfort and capabilities.

A

AKA-Logan

Oct 19, 2020
Dayton Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It’s definitely worth having. I installed mine in a 2020 model. If you get stuck with a locker I’m guessing you would be pretty stuck and need a wench to pull you out
For the record I agree with you on this, but a small point it is winch not wench. Sorry just one of those little things that my brain locks on...

A

AKA-Logan

Oct 19, 2020
Dayton Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I currently don't have a machine... But I have had a lot of experience with lockers in various vehicles over the years. And I fully believe in them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!