Talon Doesn't Fit :(

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
You cannot move the rails straight back, I tried (I am also in the 6' 4" 200+ category). There is a crossbar directly behind the seat rails. The only way I can see is to move the seat up about 1.5 inches then the rails will go up over the crossbar and back about another half inch.

As an experiment, I put my seat on 2x4's laying flat and pushed it back as far as possible. Made a noticible difference in leg room but then it raises the center of gravity. Decisions, descisions!!!

Yes, upon inspection I noticed the same thing. I may give it a shot (raising the seat rails and moving them back) nonetheless. My concern is with that scenario is more with the loss of headroom than raising the CG. I've got a tool/die machinist buddy who could fabricate a nice set of risers out of aluminum for me. Might be worth a try.

Steve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tramguage1
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
One more thing I completely forgot to mention. When I first got mine, I thought the seat was all the way back but it was not. The seat was hitting the back before it would latch into the rear most adjustment position forcing it to use the second most rear position. This causes the seat to sit 3/4 inch forward. Drove the first 200 miles like this before I figured it our. I adjusted the seat slightly forward about 1/8 inch (yes, I said forward) and now it slides all the way back. 3/4 inch doesnt sound like much but it really is.

Went to the dealer to get some oil change supplies and looked at the 7 units they had on the floor and 2 more were just like mine so I suspect this might be a common occurrence.

If you can slip more than the tip of your finger between the rear of the seat and the harness bar, your seat is not all the way back and you might want to take a look at adjusting the seat.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, upon inspection I noticed the same thing. I may give it a shot (raising the seat rails and moving them back) nonetheless. My concern is with that scenario is more with the loss of headroom than raising the CG. I've got a tool/die machinist buddy who could fabricate a nice set of risers out of aluminum for me. Might be worth a try.

Steve.
I have successfully fabricated some risers out of steel tubing to experiment. You are better off raising the seat on the slider and leaving the slider in its stock location. I was able to move the seat back 1.2 inches. I used 1" square tubing and raised the front 1" and the rear 1.2". There is some plastic that needs to be heated and moved (or cut away if you prefer) about 1/2" for the rail to slide back over the crossbar.

The seat now rests on the harness crossbar. My right knee no longer bangs on the round part where the key is located and actually moved my knee down and back more than I thought. Headroom was slightly affected but I have long legs (36" inseam) and a shorter body so headroom is not really a concern for me. All in all, I think this is going to be acceptable.

I am heading out tomorrow for 4 days of trail riding and rock climbing. I will likely put 150 to 200 miles on and report back next weekend.

tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have successfully fabricated some risers out of steel tubing to experiment. You are better off raising the seat on the slider and leaving the slider in its stock location. I was able to move the seat back 1.2 inches. I used 1" square tubing and raised the front 1" and the rear 1.2". There is some plastic that needs to be heated and moved (or cut away if you prefer) about 1/2" for the rail to slide back over the crossbar.

The seat now rests on the harness crossbar. My right knee no longer bangs on the round part where the key is located and actually moved my knee down and back more than I thought. Headroom was slightly affected but I have long legs (36" inseam) and a shorter body so headroom is not really a concern for me. All in all, I think this is going to be acceptable.

I am heading out tomorrow for 4 days of trail riding and rock climbing. I will likely put 150 to 200 miles on and report back next weekend.

Would like to see pictures when you have time with your fabrication, be safe and enjoy.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I'd like to hear some results as well...I'm looking for my first sport sxs myself and unsure which direction I'm gonna go...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Would like to see pictures when you have time with your fabrication, be safe and enjoy.
I'd like to hear some results as well...I'm looking for my first sport sxs myself and unsure which direction I'm gonna go...
Day 1 and so far very pleased. Right knee no longer tender where it used to hit on the round part next to the key and I have more room on the left with my turn switch. I have a half windshield and it does throw a little more wind in my face but I actually wanted more so I am pleased about that too. I cannot believe how much of a difference it made in my vantage point too. I am used to a utility sxs (Rhino) and I actually moved the seat down it that because I felt I was too high.

All in all, I really like it and will most likely leave it this way.

Here is the piece installed. It is the same on both sides. That's a 45 degree cut (both front and back) and there is a hole in the top to tighten the original rear nut with a socket (otherwise it is almost impossible to get to). the bolt on the front is inserted up through a hole and tack welded. The rear bolt is welded on top of the tubing and about .2 inch of filler (thickness of the bolt head) is placed there to space the rear of the seat up. This slightly changes the angle and allows the seat to go back 1.2 inches instead of 3/4 inch...
20190810 175822

And your seat back will end up right against the harness bar...
20190810 180021

The right rail will hit the plastic so you will have to "adjust" it somehow. I used a heat gun and melted it out of the way about 1/2 inch...
Upload 2019 8 12 10 36 52

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Day 1 and so far very pleased. Right knee no longer tender where it used to hit on the round part next to the key and I have more room on the left with my turn switch. I have a half windshield and it does throw a little more wind in my face but I actually wanted more so I am pleased about that too. I cannot believe how much of a difference it made in my vantage point too. I am used to a utility sxs (Rhino) and I actually moved the seat down it that because I felt I was too high.

Here is the piece installed. It is the same on both sides. That's a 45 degree cut (both front and back) and there is a hole in the top to tighten the original rear nut with a socket (otherwise it is almost impossible to get to). the bolt on the front is inserted up through a hole and tack welded. The rear bolt is welded on top of the tubing and about .2 inch of filler (thickness of the bolt head) is placed there to space the rear of the seat up. This slightly changes the angle and allows the seat to go back 1.2 inches instead of 3/4 inch...
View attachment 147341

View attachment 147351

The right rail will hit the plastic so you will have to "adjust" it somehow. I used a heat gun and melted it out of the way about 1/2 inch...
View attachment 147345
That looks good. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am going to do the same thing.

Reactions: BWAF
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 147341

View attachment 147351

View attachment 147345

Really elegant (and rather simple) solution, PaulF. This is a perfect example of how the group brain trust benefits us all. Thanks much for sharing.

Steve

Reactions: CID
tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 147341

View attachment 147351

View attachment 147345
Greatly appreciate the pictures and update, another project in the works. Thank you sir.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Update! 4 days and 200 miles later and I am VERY pleased with this mod. In addition to the added legroom and comfort, I can see better (not just the front but sides and rear also) and feel more aware of my surroundings during slower/technical riding without giving up anything when going fast. It surprised me how much difference 1.2 inches makes.

This is a super cheap and easy mod that all tall drivers should try. It took me about 4 hours but 3 of that was R&D so most of you can do it in an hour. I had the material sitting around but for $20 or $30 at Home Depot, you should be good to go.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Update! 4 days and 200 miles later and I am VERY pleased with this mod. In addition to the added legroom and comfort, I can see better (not just the front but sides and rear also) and feel more aware of my surroundings during slower/technical riding without giving up anything when going fast. It surprised me how much difference 1.2 inches makes.

This is a super cheap and easy mod that all tall drivers should try. It took me about 4 hours but 3 of that was R&D so most of you can do it in an hour. I had the material sitting around but for $20 or $30 at Home Depot, you should be good to go.

Good to hear, PaulF. I'm going to have to give this a shot.

Steve

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
At 6'4"+ I'll be looking into this also.
@PaulF PM me please.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
One more thing I completely forgot to mention. When I first got mine, I thought the seat was all the way back but it was not. The seat was hitting the back before it would latch into the rear most adjustment position forcing it to use the second most rear position. This causes the seat to sit 3/4 inch forward. Drove the first 200 miles like this before I figured it our. I adjusted the seat slightly forward about 1/8 inch (yes, I said forward) and now it slides all the way back. 3/4 inch doesnt sound like much but it really is.

Went to the dealer to get some oil change supplies and looked at the 7 units they had on the floor and 2 more were just like mine so I suspect this might be a common occurrence.

If you can slip more than the tip of your finger between the rear of the seat and the harness bar, your seat is not all the way back and you might want to take a look at adjusting the seat.

Thanks so much for this Paul! I just went out and looked and sure enough mine was the same. I ended up unbolting the right side slide and locking it all the way back and then reinstalling it as far back as it would go. As you stated, it's only about 3/4" but I can sure tell the difference. Thanks again!

Reactions: stellarpod
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks so much for this Paul! I just went out and looked and sure enough mine was the same. I ended up unbolting the right side slide and locking it all the way back and then reinstalling it as far back as it would go. As you stated, it's only about 3/4" but I can sure tell the difference. Thanks again!
Glad to help!

Reactions: TerryH
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Im thinking it is a good mod for us short guys also. Nice higher driver position with a better view.

Reactions: Iowamike
B

bionicman

Oct 19, 2019
seattle
Ownership

1. Talon X
is it me or am I tired of these gargantuan MF b****ing & whining that normal size proportions are too small :eek::eek:

Reactions: JTW
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
is it me or am I tired of these gargantuan MF b****ing & whining that normal size proportions are too small :eek::eek:

Hey, if Honda (or any other manufacturer for that matter) wants to limit their market to the average subset, that's certainly their prerogative. However, adding a couple of more inches in cockpit length would have opened this particular machine up to a much wider audience, and arguably without any significant associated cost or handling degradation. Every one of us has the right to sit in a machine and "try it on" before buying, but some things don't really become evident until you've spent some time on the trails. I don't think there's any problem with, 1) voicing an opinion, and 2) offering some solution options for those who perceive a problem.

And yes, I guess I'm one of your *gargantuan(s)" at 6'4", 255 pounds. Although I'd like to see that additional room in the cockpit, I've found my peace with it and am able to enjoy the ride for many hours on end.

Steve

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!