Dropping $$$ on a radio

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Sooooo I'm pretty satisfied with where I'm at on my p5.. Last thing is a radio. I priced out a couple ways of doing it. None of which are under $1,000.... Worth it? What does everyone think? I plan on going separate battery with auto isolator

BamaBoundSteve

BamaBoundSteve

Lifetime Member
Mar 13, 2015
S.E. Alabama
I think that would concern me because I'm cheap...LOL! I guess it depends on how much time you spend in your rig. Can you use your phone e with a Bluetooth speaker? Or an IPod with small cable to a speaker? You can find a waterproof cover for your devices and I remember seeing waterproof speakers somewhere....

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I use a rechargeable blue tooth speaker and my iPhone. Obviously it's not as quality sounding as a complete system but it's adequate for me. I spent about $20 or less on my set up. I've had the speaker for several years now and it's actually pretty loud. It's called a HMDX Jam. Got it at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Ya, I mean I can get out for a couple hundred bucks. But this is a Honda.. And will most likely end up in my 7 month old sons hands at some point. I haven't really skimped at this point, so I don't wanna start now. Especially with something as important as music.
This system would be marine JL audio with amp and hideaway Bluetooth. Plus yellow top battery that's going under the seat and auto Isolator. Should be great sound even outdoors. And I'll be able to play the radio for hours without wasting gas.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Worth it?? Thats up to you... How u want it to look and how loud u want it to be.
Me.. $1000 is way to much for my needs. I just need some light tunes and a waterproof wireless speaker has served me well. Fits great between the middle seatbelt fasteners and a small bungee to keep it there. And yes, it also fits in the cup holder and stays put for all of the ride. Wife likes it more then me as it's portable around the house.
Last a few hours on a charge. But I have a USB port to charge it while on the trail.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
P5 doesn't have room on the seat. I'm going that route right now when riding solo. Really, the roof is the best bet aside from the cup holder. I tried putting my phone above my head in the storage bag but not loud enough.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah material and all was about $400 Sounds great LOUD got a little bump. Could've done (2) 6x9 and a 10" sub for same price maybe a bit more. But didn't care about the bump as much as hearing the music.

5acc779952b6994c12771f03e1928b9d

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I have seen this before ohana. Was actually somewhat of an inspiration to do it right. Kind of speakers are those? I could save money by not going JL or Kenwood. U used fiberglass in the enclosure? How did U mount to roof? I was thinking of a little 6 or 8" sub as well. Kicks faster then a bigger sub. Depends on what you listen to.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All Infinity MARINE def go MARINE, yeah fiberglass. Used a plywood backer and countersunk the wood screws into the Honda roof. They are flush. Just sharpies the heads and you don't even notice them( if you're standing on a tire looks at the roof) 8" would prob sound really good. Don't need to rattle the skid plate loose just give good sound.

Definitely take the time to sand it, I didn't it's rough. Might redo mine later and move two of the speakers to the back and put a 8" sub in the middle.

I have so many things I want to redo.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
It's always like that. Done with the last thing, then wanna redo the first thing. Endless cycle. I will take Ur advice on the sanding. I'm unsure where to put the sub. If I should mount in box in roof? I'm using the area under the seat for battery so can't really put it there.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sxsnewbie said:
Joeymt, u put that in Ur cup holder? How long does it last on full charge?

It will last about two hours unless I plug it in and leave it plugged in. I plan on putting it over my head in the storage bag and I could even plug my USB battery pack to it and it would run for a couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sxsnewbie said:
Joeymt, u put that in Ur cup holder? How long does it last on full charge?

It will last about two hours unless I plug it in and leave it plugged in. I plan on putting it over my head in the storage bag and I could even plug my USB battery pack to it and it would run for a couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sxsnewbie said:
It's always like that. Done with the last thing, then wanna redo the first thing. Endless cycle. I will take Ur advice on the sanding. I'm unsure where to put the sub. If I should mount in box in roof? I'm using the area under the seat for battery so can't really put it there.

Yeah I am a perfectionist, it'll never be perfect. I would consider putting it in the middle on a 700 there is PLENTY of headroom with the Honda roof. Not sure about a 500. I saw the SSV box but as nasty as my underseat area gets I would think I'd ruin the underseat sub.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Check SSV works. I have the over head stereo in my P700-4 and it works great. I think they have a smaller set up that might work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!