P500 DROVE A 2017 TODAY

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Whelll.... Keerap Honda... WTH and I suspect no E steering either? E steering, front locker along with auto shift option, would make this little machine a top drawer rig. 1 out of 3....don't these guys listen to customers, so arrogant.... Disappointing really.

j

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Whelll.... Keerap Honda... WTH and I suspect no E steering either? E steering, front locker along with auto shift option, would make this little machine a top drawer rig. 1 out of 3....don't these guys listen to customers, so arrogant.... Disappointing really.

j
I agree.. Power steering I can see as an option. But the locker should be there. $500 from super atv will get you power steering but there aren't ANY options for a locker.

J

JTW

I think they are trying to keep it as affordable as possible. The price is a big selling point.
But then we go and put 1000's in them sooooo... They don't offer the options because it's more profitable not to. We still buy them even without the extra goodies!

J

JTW

Around our area anyway, the initial low price for the basic machine seems to be a big selling point. It's true most people add alot of accessories at the time of purchase so they can finance the whole works. At $9,000, people feel they have some room to add accessories and keep the total cost within reason. People will jump on the 500 versus the 700 because of the $2,000 price differential. And very few will step up to the P1K at $15 - $17.5 K. Did you know that the P500 is second only to the Rancher as Honda's top seller ?
But as many P500's that have been sold around here, I don't know of a single one that has had power steering added. The only negative thing I've really heard around here is the lack of sufficient ground clearance with the stock tires. Nobody has really complained about not having diff lock.
I get it.. But there are some things like storage that wouldn't have cost Honda anything. EVERYONE agrees on the locker issue even though it's not something you use often. There are times it's nice. I agree, the price point is great. Especially when you could buy a left over model for under 8k. But there are also some consession a you have to be willing to make when going with a p500. I don't have mine yet so I may not even feel the need for the power steering once I get it. But it's nice to have someone like superatv that at least offers it. It goes back to there is no perfect machine.. Be it boat, car, atv or sxs.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Will be interesting how many will actually use the auto shift function. I know with my Rubicon I preferred to shift due to bigger tires, performance exhaust and jet kit. The auto shift was not ideally matched to engine rpm even in stock configuration (MO) and I prefer to shift. Hopefully the shift logic is better on the P5. I think they should come with e-steering as a top priority, they already have the components it's a matter of installing, so the unit cost is very small and the incremental up charge would be a great selling feature I think.

Most guys on here mod thier P5s and I wonder how many actually don't? No question Honda has the price point in the sweet spot and I'm not surprised P5s are a top seller. The locker is not huge for me after 3500 Kms and 2 years there has been a couple of times it might have made a difference.

As noted above combo of those 3 additions would make it a top drawer machine.

I bought the P5 first for the compact size and would do it again in a heart beat these are great little machines.

j

J

JTW

That is a good point you made about how the auto. shift points will be configured. Since there isn't a "sport" mode, I wonder if it will adjust shift points depending on acceleration/throttle position.
I think it would have to..

bikeman

bikeman

Nov 23, 2016
smithfield utah
Ownership

1. 500
I am a sales manager at a Honda Powersports store. I have been waiting on a clean 500 to be traded. The 2017 announcement was made. I hunt in a very rugged part of eastern WVA and when I saw that the 2017 was getting a new 3.6 rear and the 2016 had a 4.3, the urgency set in. I purchased a new 2016. My new 2016 holds at a consistent 2mph. Our new 2017 arrived yesterday. Had it set up and tested it on the same steep grad that my machine holds at 2mph. I figured it was going to be a 4mph machine. It is 3mph !!!! The AUTO trans. shifts very smoothly and I also noticed in paddle mode that the new model automatically down shifts when slowing (in manual mode). I also noted that the speed is limited to 14mph if the seat belt is not buckled. For only a $500 price increase, this new model is a great value !! I love the new DCT and the 3.6 rear does in fact makes for better drivability !!
i have a 2016 p5 that i would like to put taller tires on it to obtain more ground clearance i was wonder if in your experience that a 26 or 27 inch tire on the same rims would detrimentally effect the the low gear pull over steep and rocky grades. the main reason i bought the p-5 over a razor is the price and i like the mechanical trans and especially the low range and the ability to creep over extremely rough terrain also do you know if the engine controller can be programmed to keep the odometer correct to the taller tires.

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

i have a 2016 p5 that i would like to put taller tires on it to obtain more ground clearance i was wonder if in your experience that a 26 or 27 inch tire on the same rims would detrimentally effect the the low gear pull over steep and rocky grades. the main reason i bought the p-5 over a razor is the price and i like the mechanical trans and especially the low range and the ability to creep over extremely rough terrain also do you know if the engine controller can be programmed to keep the odometer correct to the taller tires.
You can put 26's on with no problem.. some even go 27's. I had 26x9x12 bighorn originals on all 4 corners of my 17.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Welcome @bikeman . Speedo is more accurate with 26's, don't know about odometer.
I've never had a problem turning them up a hill.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I agree, and I knew exactly what I was getting. And I don't regret buying it, and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I use it.

However, I did not have a chance to go road riding with other UTV's before buying it. You can't always get someone to wait up for you, and if you don't know where you are it's really not fun to get left behind. And I refuse to hold the engine at max speed going down the road. Even if I could, I still couldn't keep up. I'm not saying this to put down the P5, it's just an observation after owning one for a while and racking up some miles.

That being said, i'm not trading it for a rubber band. I'd rather deal with the 35 mph cruising speed than deal with something that isn't a Honda.
I know what you mean ehart, there are always faster machines out there. Back in college my room-mate had a Honda Elsinore that would leave my Yamaha Enduro in the dust every time when we rode the old rail beds and logging trails in the Keweenaw, I just couldn't keep up with him. The bright side, the faster machines find the bridge out before you get there. So far I'm quite pleased with my P5.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I know what you mean ehart, there are always faster machines out there. Back in college my room-mate had a Honda Elsinore that would leave my Yamaha Enduro in the dust every time when we rode the old rail beds and logging trails in the Keweenaw, I just couldn't keep up with him. The bright side, the faster machines find the bridge out before you get there. So far I'm quite pleased with my P5.
We ride with other utv
...Usally go a few miles &
Pull off & wait...
everybody rides at there own
pace....

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Ah the Keweenaw, right on the shores of Gitchegumee. That would be a beautiful place to ride.
It definitely was back in the 70's - Not sure how much it has changed and what rail beds are still available, took a ski trip back to the UP winter of 2014
Ah the Keweenaw, right on the shores of Gitchegumee. That would be a beautiful place to ride.
It definitely was back in the 70's - Not sure how much it has changed and what rail beds are still available to ride. Took a ski trip back to the UP winter of 2014 and was able to add Mt. Bohemia which didn't exist as a ski area when I was there at college, great area, no groomed runs and a 900 ft vertical drop. Maybe I'll get back up in "no snow season" with the P5 and explore.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!