P500 DROVE A 2017 TODAY

H

highpocks

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2016
prescott mi
Ownership

1. 500
I'll give a full detailed review for you guys on the fence once I get it and have a chance to put it through its paces.
i will be waiting to hear your report. but i need more leg room i am 6' 7" tall

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

It's not a DCT, it's just an automatic shift pattern added, so I was wrong :oops:. Saw it first hand today.
At least they are starting to arrive at dealers all over.
Damn you Buford... That's 20 push-ups!!

C

Chooglin

i would like to know about the ride with the new shocks
I agree , I would like to know how (if any) they improve the ride

@Buford if you end up trading up , I would like to hear your thoughts on the new shocks !

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
That was my biggest concern.. That and if the new auto trans would be a turd. I do think it's underpowered but that's something I'm aware of going into it and for 90% of my riding will be fine. However, we've all got a little Tim The Tool Man Taylor in us!!
With the high gear ratio and small footprint it is EXACTLY what I wanted. I don't ride fast, I need to pull the UTV's trailer and crawl through the mud. No need for speed; I personally wouldn't go for the new gear ratio's. I'll bet It will really bog with 30" tires.

J

JTW

With the high gear ratio and small footprint it is EXACTLY what I wanted. I don't ride fast, I need to pull the UTV's trailer and crawl through the mud. No need for speed; I personally wouldn't go for the new gear ratio's. I'll bet It will really bog with 30" tires.
I'm going with 26x12x9 and the auto trans is a concern for me because of that. I like to have the option of speed and power but there's nothing else out there close to it in its other attributes.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going with 26x12x9 and the auto trans is a concern for me because of that. I like to have the option of speed and power but there's nothing else out there close to it in its other attributes.
You can climb any hill....you
dare....but you ain't getting
no where fast....

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am a sales manager at a Honda Powersports store. I have been waiting on a clean 500 to be traded. The 2017 announcement was made. I hunt in a very rugged part of eastern WVA and when I saw that the 2017 was getting a new 3.6 rear and the 2016 had a 4.3, the urgency set in. I purchased a new 2016. My new 2016 holds at a consistent 2mph. Our new 2017 arrived yesterday. Had it set up and tested it on the same steep grad that my machine holds at 2mph. I figured it was going to be a 4mph machine. It is 3mph !!!! The AUTO trans. shifts very smoothly and I also noticed in paddle mode that the new model automatically down shifts when slowing (in manual mode). I also noted that the speed is limited to 14mph if the seat belt is not buckled. For only a $500 price increase, this new model is a great value !! I love the new DCT and the 3.6 rear does in fact makes for better drivability !!

What about top speed...same?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
One of the criticisms I see the most about a P500 is that it is underpowered. Not so sure the new gearing is such a good idea.

I wanna know why people think it's underpowered and what they are doing to get that. I had 2 people and 600lbs of corn/feed and it never missed a beat. Up steep hills and everything. I pulled a 10ft grain drill. Never once did it miss a beat. It may not be a speed demon but it's not underpowered. As long as you know how to use those lower gears for what they are meant for this thing is a freaking tank.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I wanna know why people think it's underpowered and what they are doing to get that. I had 2 people and 600lbs of corn/feed and it never missed a beat. Up steep hills and everything. I pulled a 10ft grain drill. Never once did it miss a beat. It may not be a speed demon but it's not underpowered. As long as you know how to use those lower gears for what they are meant for this thing is a freaking tank.

I agree, I call mine "Little Mule". I haven't encountered anything that a downshift couldn't remedy. I "hear" on YouTube videos reviews the complaint though. It's not been my experience. 500 cc will work as it was setup but I don't think the new gear ratio is a step in the right direction. Maybe their market research keeps indicating people want to go faster without paying for a larger cc Pioneer.

Reactions: Spellmajr
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My bad :(. But I guess the push ups wouldn't hurt me.
1 drill Sargent, 2 drill Sargent, 3 drill Sargent..............:)

Reactions: Eltobgi
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW I was discussing this with a guy that makes reduction gears for the Rubicon and he pointed out that the tooth difference in the 17 may not equate into an actual ratio change, it may have just been machined with larger teeth at a lower cost but ended up really close to the same ratio as the 15/16 because they are the same overall diameters. That seemed odd to me, but from what I saw he seems to be the "Go to" guy for gear reduction at the output gears. He also mentioned he could get me lower yet so I could run bigger tires with no loss. Hmm

Anyway, Jeremy Lee is his name.

Last edited:
J

JTW

If y'all haven't found the power limits then you're not riding hard enough! Hell, I don't even have one yet and I've seen two hills it WOULD NOT climb and one rhino it could not pull out.

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!