P500 DROVE A 2017 TODAY

J

JDLO

Aug 6, 2016
HARRISONBURG VA
Ownership

1. 500
I am a sales manager at a Honda Powersports store. I have been waiting on a clean 500 to be traded. The 2017 announcement was made. I hunt in a very rugged part of eastern WVA and when I saw that the 2017 was getting a new 3.6 rear and the 2016 had a 4.3, the urgency set in. I purchased a new 2016. My new 2016 holds at a consistent 2mph. Our new 2017 arrived yesterday. Had it set up and tested it on the same steep grad that my machine holds at 2mph. I figured it was going to be a 4mph machine. It is 3mph !!!! The AUTO trans. shifts very smoothly and I also noticed in paddle mode that the new model automatically down shifts when slowing (in manual mode). I also noted that the speed is limited to 14mph if the seat belt is not buckled. For only a $500 price increase, this new model is a great value !! I love the new DCT and the 3.6 rear does in fact makes for better drivability !!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's awesome news! I like hearing that

Sent from iPhone

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I am a sales manager at a Honda Powersports store. I have been waiting on a clean 500 to be traded. The 2017 announcement was made. I hunt in a very rugged part of eastern WVA and when I saw that the 2017 was getting a new 3.6 rear and the 2016 had a 4.3, the urgency set in. I purchased a new 2016. My new 2016 holds at a consistent 2mph. Our new 2017 arrived yesterday. Had it set up and tested it on the same steep grad that my machine holds at 2mph. I figured it was going to be a 4mph machine. It is 3mph !!!! The AUTO trans. shifts very smoothly and I also noticed in paddle mode that the new model automatically down shifts when slowing (in manual mode). I also noted that the speed is limited to 14mph if the seat belt is not buckled. For only a $500 price increase, this new model is a great value !! I love the new DCT and the 3.6 rear does in fact makes for better drivability !!
Can you confirm it is a DCT? This subject has been debated.
The manual should have info on this if at very least a dual filter to change.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Shifts very smoothly?
How would you compare it to a 1000?
My 1000 shifts smooth now - but when I first got i would not have called it "very smoothly"

J

JTW

I'm interested that transmission too! It is a DCT?

advertisement
J

JTW

Sounds like it would almost have to be, as the current transmission cannot be accused of having very smooth shifts. Might have to get me a new red one ;)
Yeah.. I never particularly liked dads Es Forman. So I'd be willing to hope for the DCT

Last edited by a moderator:
Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Really wish I would have known the 17 was going to to have the automatic. I would have held out as well as it would be easier for the kids to use.

Reactions: JTW
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
I'm so torn...I've been eyeing some used P5's. But the few changes to the '17 are tempting.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yeah, well the used ones are looking tempting after waiting and waiting! Lol
The other day I found a smokin deal on a used one. Had tons of Honda accessories (Plow, Winch, Roof, Windshield), very low miles - like 300 I think. Looked pretty much perfect. $7800. I tried finding the ad, cuz I was going to post it on here, but it sold very quickly. There is another one in PA that looks decent - pretty much stock but they put 25" carlisle tires on it. They are asking $6600 and it's been posted a while.

J

JDLO

Aug 6, 2016
HARRISONBURG VA
Ownership

1. 500
New 17 500 has the same engineering
Same engineering as the Rubicon and Forman. ONE filter :) looked this morning and confirmed it

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!