Dual Battery Charging System

H

hyde0970

Jan 1, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all,

Just picked up my Pioneer 1000-5 on New Years. Already installed the Odyssey PC925 and True isolator. I understand that charging the primary will also charge the auxiliary, but my question is more about what kind of chargers are people using? I know AGM batteries typically require an appropriate charger, so will using a standard charger/maintainer impact the secondary battery? We are in Michigan and I try to keep things charging if they go more than a week without use. I was specifically looking at using a Noco Genius and since they have standard 12V, AGM, and Lithium I got thinking. Just want to make sure nothing gets messed up is all. Appreciate any input!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome fellow sufferer of Big Gretch and her Loons that run our State!
where bouts you located?

Fourm Penal code# 6969 is a when u join you must provide pics if your ride. So i suggest you do that quickly or….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

As for charging, I have a dual batt set up and u have a Norco Genius trickle charger located under the hood and a Norco water proof plug I leave the rig plugged into during the cold months at my cabin in Gaylord in Deer season and when its in my Barn at home.
7655A19B 84B7 4268 9F7F 6D4582CA00D1
9D147EDA FDF8 4AFC 88B3 CE3A4FCA0B84

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Short version; any small battery tender / trickle charger will do.

Long version: AGM are lead acid batteries (a form of Valve Regulated Lead Acid). So the charging voltage is not different. What’s different about VRLA ( whether AGM or flooded) is they don’t like to be grossly overcharged to the point electrolyte is boiled out and they vent. That electrolyte is permanently lost. You can’t just fill it back up with distilled water like a battery with removable caps.

With a higher capacity bulk charger you can boil it, which is why big chargers need to know when to stop high current charging an AGM and switch to float / maintenance mode. A battery tender / maintainer is only outputting milliamperes anyway, and will never input enough energy to boil and vent the battery. So no worries. I run nothing but AGM batteries in all our vehicles and various motorized machines and they all get the same tenders as I used to use on flooded batteries.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Many good people & information on the Honda forum AND AND they LIKE PICTURES.

Red was the 1st color all other colors followed Honda hopes they sell

Careful with your Questions :
This crowd is Eager to Help : Empty Checkbook </> Load C.C. </> Lower your Net Worth Any Way they can.

I went with </> Dual battery set up </> with plug ports connected to battery </> Solar Portable Charger </> remove transporting & riding </> take with plug in at camp </> No Power there </>carry a Booster Pac too. ( belt & suspenders thinking )

Many Good Times Ahead

Enjoy the NEW Toy

Reactions: Smitty335
H

hyde0970

Jan 1, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for all the replies! I like that Noco setup. Might order one for myself! I'm in Grand Blanc but we have a place up in Gladwin on Secord Lake. Likely that's where most of the use will be. Don't have a lot of pics yet, still finishing up a few things but here she is coming home. I will post some progress pics, hopefully this weekend!

20221230 145738

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Welcome fellow sufferer of Big Gretch and her Loons that run our State!
where bouts you located?

Fourm Penal code# 6969 is a when u join you must provide pics if your ride. So i suggest you do that quickly or….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

As for charging, I have a dual batt set up and u have a Norco Genius trickle charger located under the hood and a Norco water proof plug I leave the rig plugged into during the cold months at my cabin in Gaylord in Deer season and when its in my Barn at home.
View attachment 370351View attachment 370352
I just got this set up for my Talon. It’ll be plugged in while at home. I’ll have to replace the ring terminals because the ones that came with the charger are to big.

Reactions: Smitty335
Buck Assassin

Buck Assassin

Apr 7, 2022
Midwest, McHenry county, Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the new communist gun grab state of Illinois. I run the noco maintainer as well. Really nice onboard charging system that keeps both batteries charged. I have the forest too, nice rig!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!