P1000 Dual Battery Question

G

G Weller

Jan 16, 2022
Milaca, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up my 2021 1000-5 on the 11th, in talking with the dealer about the dual battery he told me that Honda doesn't recommend it anymore as it can cause an over charge and cause the transmission to lock up. what are your thoughts and experiences with this.

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
?
Honda has never recommended a dual battery.
And...
I have never heard of the transmission locking up due to "too much power".
If that was the case. It would lock up anyways when the stator throws it to 14+ volts.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a 2021 1000-5 and a dual battery with a True isolator.
Never had that problem, but I'm sure it would happen if you install them in series instead of parallel. :cool:

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One would have to take inordinate steps to hook 'em up in series: (WARNING DON'T DO THIS!! - Remove positive red cable from battery #1 and connect it to positive terminal of battery #2. Next install a jumper wire from positive terminal of battery #1 to negative terminal of battery #2. Stand bank and admire your work while watching for smoke and listening to the popping noises as little parts get fried from having double the correct voltage applied!)

BTW, your dealer hasn't a clue when it comes to electrical systems.

Reactions: Buggyman
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I picked up my 2021 1000-5 on the 11th, in talking with the dealer about the dual battery he told me that Honda doesn't recommend it anymore as it can cause an over charge and cause the transmission to lock up. what are your thoughts and experiences with this.
What are my thoughts? The "dealer" in question is a moron.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!