P1000 Buying Questions

M

Myers23

Jul 4, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will be in the market for a SXS around December 18’. It will be used mostly for farm chores, hunting and game retrieval. I will put 5-600 lbs of corn in the bed on a consistent basis. I thought I was pretty set on buying a can am defender hd10 and went to my local dealer that sells can am and Polaris both. Test drove the hd10 and ranger 1000xp. Surprisingly the ranger was much more peppy and impressed me with also how quiet it was. Noise level of the exhaust and engine is very important. Build quality on the cam am appeared to be better. The salesman told me the ranger has been completely redesigned this year and is really improved. I have owned 3 Polaris 4 wheelers in the past and have had more issues than exceptable. I also raced motocross for years and have owned a pile of Honda’s. I will look at the pioneer 1000LE this week. If buying a pioneer should I lean towards the LE with i4wd? I’ve read the heat and clutch issues have been resolved with the 18’s. How does the pioneer compare to the ranger/can am as far as sheer engine performance and power. I see the the hp #’s are 82/72/72. I’m curious to see what changes will be for the 2019 models. Thank you for all input

Reactions: BWAF
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be in the market for a SXS around December 18’. It will be used mostly for farm chores, hunting and game retrieval. I will put 5-600 lbs of corn in the bed on a consistent basis. I thought I was pretty set on buying a can am defender hd10 and went to my local dealer that sells can am and Polaris both. Test drove the hd10 and ranger 1000xp. Surprisingly the ranger was much more peppy and impressed me with also how quiet it was. Noise level of the exhaust and engine is very important. Build quality on the cam am appeared to be better. The salesman told me the ranger has been completely redesigned this year and is really improved. I have owned 3 Polaris 4 wheelers in the past and have had more issues than exceptable. I also raced motocross for years and have owned a pile of Honda’s. I will look at the pioneer 1000LE this week. If buying a pioneer should I lean towards the LE with i4wd? I’ve read the heat and clutch issues have been resolved with the 18’s. How does the pioneer compare to the ranger/can am as far as sheer engine performance and power. I see the the hp #’s are 82/72/72. I’m curious to see what changes will be for the 2019 models. Thank you for all input

I just bought the Pioneer 1000-5 after selling my RZR XP 1000 Ride Command due to quality concerns. Now certainly this machine was not designed to compete with the RZRs and Mavericks of the world, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how quickly it will throw my head back in the seat.

Note that if you are going to haul/tow a lot, the 1000-5 models have a self leveling rear suspension....until you get to the LE model. The upgraded Fox shocks are NOT self leveling. That kept me from looking at the LE model. The i4wd seems gimicky to me...if you can't get through it with a both front and rear locked diff, my opinion is ya prolly shouldn't be driving in it. Plus, one more electronic system to malfunction.

Sounds like if you work with your machine, the self leveling suspension may take priority over the i4wd. Especially at somewhere around a 3k price difference. All the other hang on parts and storage stuff can be added to the 1000-5 or deluxe if desired.

Just my two cents.

Either way, enjoy your new ride!

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are looking for an all work vehicle have you looked at a John Deere gator? Like the 825i.

J

JTW

Look at a deluxe 2018 Pioneer 1000 5.

M

Myers23

Jul 4, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The self leveling suspension will probably be better with the weight I’ll have in the bed. 2 more questions; Do all 1000 pioneers require you to stop to engage 4wd and are the led headlamps avail on the deluxe? I have not looked into the gators.

Reactions: dnjones161 and BWAF
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, yes.

All p1ks require you to stop to engage 4x4 (according to the manual).
There is an accessory kit and a wire harness available to add the LED lights.

(Tried to add a link but the official Honda web site will only let me add the general accessory page, shop around)

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
J

JTW

The self leveling suspension will probably be better with the weight I’ll have in the bed. 2 more questions; Do all 1000 pioneers require you to stop to engage 4wd and are the led headlamps avail on the deluxe? I have not looked into the gators.
You can shift it into 4wd just like a truck... just don’t go to high or low when moving. Also, you can add fox shocks for about 1300. They’re adjustable so it’s nice for heavier loads. Dad and I both have one and use them for basically the same thing you’re speaking. They do great.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are looking for an all work vehicle have you looked at a John Deere gator? Like the 825i.
I used to run those daily at work. Had nothing but problems from them. Underpowered and overpriced but they would go anywhere

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used to run those daily at work. Had nothing but problems from them. Underpowered and overpriced but they would go anywhere

I was dead set on buying a John Deere. One day I accidentally drove by a Honda dealer, stopped in, talked to the sales man and took a test drive. That chance occurance changed my mind and I went with the Pioneer.

I am interested what problems did you have?

As for being overpriced ....aren’t all brands?

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was dead set on buying a John Deere. One day I accidentally drove by a Honda dealer, stopped in, talked to the sales man and took a test drive. That chance occurance changed my mind and I went with the Pioneer.

I am interested what problems did you have?

As for being overpriced ....aren’t all brands?
We had a lot of starters go out, computers crap out, broken suspension parts, etc. The engines seemed to be pretty solid but you had to run them wide open to go anywhere and they were pretty loud. They were better than the Rangers we had though.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You can shift it into 4wd just like a truck... just don’t go to high or low when moving. Also, you can add fox shocks for about 1300. They’re adjustable so it’s nice for heavier loads. Dad and I both have one and use them for basically the same thing you’re speaking. They do great.
While riding one day I found out it would start in gear with the brake pressed, then the computer started freaking out, I don't do that anymore.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The few that I’ve seen appeared to be underpowered as others have stated.
Maybe for sand dune riding, but for trail riding, plenty fast, just how fast to you want to get to your hunting stand in the dark incognito?:rolleyes:

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to clarify the deluxe model does come with factory LED lamps. Not sure if you were asking about adding extras or factory option.

My understanding was the "deluxe" model got you upgraded wheels/tires, LED headlights and the color match body panels.

M

Myers23

Jul 4, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I meant to quote the comment regarding the gators as being underpowered

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use my machine mainly for work around my place. I don't carry much weight though.. tool box, shovel & spare tire is about it.

I wanted something that had good power, and was quiet. The P1000 fits that bill perfectly.

I did go with the LE, (It's kind of my MO) but I've only had it a couple weeks. As such, I'm not your best spokesman for the i4wd system yet. In fact, it's spent all it's time so far in turf mode.

This week, however, it'll get some mountain time. I most definitely WILL get to try out the 4wd system. I remember quite well how the Viking handled the trails up there, and I even have the same tires on the Pioneer. I'll be able to tell pretty quickly how well it works.

Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also looking to buy a SxS mostly for utility around my 720 acres in the E. Tennessee mountains. So I'm only considering a P1K-5. Never owned an ATV/UTV before. I've got a 4x4 F150 now but the SxS will be better all around. The LE seems like a good thing because of the i4WD if you can go into 4W without stopping. Also wouldn't it be easier for the wife to use? I'm fine with changing gears for all sorts of situations but she's not going to be and I want her to feel like she can hop into it and drive it.

I'm also wondering about options like the light bar. Seems awfully pricey and I wonder if there aren't aftermarket alternatives for things like that. Also, what about doors, windshields, and a wiper? I want to be able to use this year round. We're at 3600' elevation so I'm thinking I'll definitely want the heater option if it's any good and that makes me wonder about the door options.

I also wonder about how you work with the dealers, what things are negotiable and what things shouldn't I pay for. Seems like motorcycle/ATV dealers are different animals than car dealers.

J

JTW

I'm also looking to buy a SxS mostly for utility around my 720 acres in the E. Tennessee mountains. So I'm only considering a P1K-5. Never owned an ATV/UTV before. I've got a 4x4 F150 now but the SxS will be better all around. The LE seems like a good thing because of the i4WD if you can go into 4W without stopping. Also wouldn't it be easier for the wife to use? I'm fine with changing gears for all sorts of situations but she's not going to be and I want her to feel like she can hop into it and drive it.

I'm also wondering about options like the light bar. Seems awfully pricey and I wonder if there aren't aftermarket alternatives for things like that. Also, what about doors, windshields, and a wiper? I want to be able to use this year round. We're at 3600' elevation so I'm thinking I'll definitely want the heater option if it's any good and that makes me wonder about the door options.

I also wonder about how you work with the dealers, what things are negotiable and what things shouldn't I pay for. Seems like motorcycle/ATV dealers are different animals than car dealers.
@Kilo427 has EXACTLY what you need for a winter cab!

Don’t buy all the dealer s***.. there are a lot better aftermarket options for various accessories!

Also, you can shift into 4wd on a normal deluxe without stopping. It works just like the 4wheel drive in your f150 then.

Reactions: Landman and BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!