Dual Battery Setup - Pioneer 1000-5

C

cnaught

Sep 29, 2021
Broward County, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have a picture of their Dual Battery setup? I bought my Pioneer 1000-5 slightly used, and there is a battery drain. I noticed it has a secondary AGM battery, and I tested it and it's dead. I figured it may be draining the primary battery. The secondary battery is wired to the primary battery only (with the black wire going through an isolator between the two batteries). None of the accessories are hooked to the second battery, and are all wired to the primary battery? I would assume that all accessories should be wired directly to the second battery, and the main battery should just have the primary hookup and the wires to the secondary battery and isolator?

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The secondary battery is wired to the primary battery only (with the black wire going through an isolator between the two batteries).

Black is typically ground (did they use a black cable on the positive connection?). Or are you talking about the the thin black ground wire from the isolator (which should go to ground)?

The auxiliary battery should have the positive cable going to the isolator and a negative cable to (some) ground. Assuming the isolator isn't bad, the purpose OF the isolator is to keep anything on the aux side of things from draining the primary battery.

If everything is wired to the primary battery, then that circumvents the point of the aux battery and the isolator.

I wonder if the aux battery went bad, the PO didn't want to spend the money to replace it before selling it, so he just wired up the accessories to the primary battery (so they all worked)?

Ideally, there would be a fuse box on the aux battery and a relay (e.g., Stinger) in between that would only power the fuse box from the aux battery only when the key is on and/or a switch is flipped (to energize the Stinger relay). All your accessories (or relays for accessories) that you wanted to be on only when the key or switch is on would be connected to the fuse box.

C

cnaught

Sep 29, 2021
Broward County, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Black is typically ground (did they use a black cable on the positive connection?). Or are you talking about the the thin black ground wire from the isolator (which should go to ground)?

The auxiliary battery should have the positive cable going to the isolator and a negative cable to (some) ground. Assuming the isolator isn't bad, the purpose OF the isolator is to keep anything on the aux side of things from draining the primary battery.

If everything is wired to the primary battery, then that circumvents the point of the aux battery and the isolator.

I wonder if the aux battery went bad, the PO didn't want to spend the money to replace it before selling it, so he just wired up the accessories to the primary battery (so they all worked)?

Ideally, there would be a fuse box on the aux battery and a relay (e.g., Stinger) in between that would only power the fuse box from the aux battery only when the key is on and/or a switch is flipped (to energize the Stinger relay). All your accessories (or relays for accessories) that you wanted to be on only when the key or switch is on would be connected to the fuse box.

Thanks. Yeah, makes sense. I am assuming the black box on top of the battery bracket (as seen in the photo) is an isolator, but as you can see it's running through the black/neg wire, not the positive wire. Also, does anyone have any idea what the clear box between the batteries is? it's also connected to what I believe is the isolator. It's hard to see, but under the black wire it has a three numeric LED displays.

Battery setup

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The isolator would be on the positive side, not the negative side.

I can't see well, but it almost looks like those two batteries are hooked up in parallel (which makes it like one bigger batter). And if the 2nd battery is bad, it will drain the first.

That clear box might have a relay in it for an accessory, not sure, don't recognize it.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you're gonna redo it and want to do it right, start with @RobSparre's video.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's my set up. Can barely see the stinger relay on the left side but I just replaced it with a different brand. I bet your batteries are hooked up in parallel
20211024 115329
20210902 195821

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're gonna redo it and want to do it right, start with @RobSparre's video.

@cnaught you might want to consider disconnecting all batteries, power, and isolator and get a strategy and a layout together on paper - then reconnect with a clear plan. I have some diagrams in that forum post to help you get started if that is of any interest. Diagrams have both key-on power and always-on power examples.

Reactions: ChadD and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@cnaught you might want to consider disconnecting all batteries, power, and isolator and get a strategy and a layout together on paper - then reconnect with a clear plan. I have some diagrams in that forum post to help you get started if that is of any interest. Diagrams have both key-on power and always-on power examples.
We don't need no stinking stra-tee-jer-ree, @RobSparre! LOL :)

• Haha
Reactions: RobSparre
M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely looks like batteries connected in parallel. Black box almost looks like some type of noise filter, is there a stereo installed? Looks like you need a total gut and reinstall.
Bat

advertisement
bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here is my setup @cnaught
used @RobSparre video almost verbatim! was a lifesaver!

M l7 uAyRkKxExlrPBD8jA

C

cnaught

Sep 29, 2021
Broward County, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely looks like batteries connected in parallel. Black box almost looks like some type of noise filter, is there a stereo installed? Looks like you need a total gut and reinstall.View attachment 305643
Wow, nice setup. Yes, there is a stereo installed. The two batteries are installed negative to negative and positive to positive. The black box is on the negative line between the two batteries. How would that black box serve as a noise filter? What does it do?

M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, nice setup. Yes, there is a stereo installed. The two batteries are installed negative to negative and positive to positive. The black box is on the negative line between the two batteries. How would that black box serve as a noise filter? What does it do?
I see there are two wires also running out of black box going to positive side of main battery. I'm not really sure what the box is. I would pull it up and flip it over to see if there was a brand name or part number you could google to find out for sure what it is. It may end up being an isolator and was just installed wrong.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!