P1000 Dual Battery volt meter

R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll be installing the True brand dual battery kit in the next few weeks. I’ve been searching for an answer to this question for a few days, but I’m still not sure how to wire up the volt meter. It says to connect the red wire to a switched ignition power source? Where is that? Do I need to cut a wire somewhere and splice it? Sorry if this is a crazy question, but I’m no electrician. Including a photo of instructions for reference. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

DD1EABF0 03E0 43B6 87AE B5325A75C52D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes.
You need to either cut and splice a key-on hot wire or pickup a connector like this that is plug-n-play.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yes.
You need to either cut and splice a key-on hot wire or pickup a connector like this that is plug-n-play.

Don't even try and splice anything, just go ahead and order this. I did and and it's worth every cent. I used it to energize two blocks so I have multiple connection points for key on and continuous hot.

R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't even try and splice anything, just go ahead and order this. I did and and it's worth every cent. I used it to energize two blocks so I have multiple connection points for key on and continuous hot.
russknight, I like the idea of plug and play. Can you show/tell me where to hook that up? Also, did you add the 2 blocks yourself? If so, do you have links to the blocks? Thanks!

Reactions: Lady01
R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes.
Thanks! I think I’d be more comfortable with the key on wire...

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wires mine straight into the batteries. Yes itnia on all the time, but very little drain. I can look at a glance and see battery condition if i am playing the stereo or even when it is setting in the garage. No need to turn key on to read voltage.

Been on for over a week at a time between cranks and never drains the batteries.

R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the key on power harness. I was thinking it would be hard to install, since I'm really not an electrician, but there's actually an access door just below the 12V accessory plug, so that should make it pretty easy. Thanks again.

I wires mine straight into the batteries. Yes itnia on all the time, but very little drain. I can look at a glance and see battery condition if i am playing the stereo or even when it is setting in the garage. No need to turn key on to read voltage.

Been on for over a week at a time between cranks and never drains the batteries.

advertisement
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for old post reply, but should we need a relay for the daul monitor ..
The dual voltmeter gets its power from the two wires it’s measuring so the best way to shut it off is through the ground. The true kit provides a ground relay. Meaning it only provides a ground to the meter when it’s triggered by a key on or other controlled power source. Without the relay or switched ground the meter is lit all the time.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is the same thing. The only difference is you connect the ground wire from your meter to be opened/closed instead of the power wire. Same concept different wire. In order for it to light up and be readable, you need a complete circuit from the battery to the meter (or what ever accessory you are powering), then back to the opposite post of the battery. You have 2 power feeds to the meter so it's easier to disrupt the ground side.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One side of the relay coil will be connect to ground, the other side will be connected to a key-on switched positive voltage source. When the key is on, the relay will be energized.

Ground (can be jumpered over, the same ground wire as you have going to one side of the relay coil above) is connected to a normally open (open when relay is de-energized) contact. The other normally open relay contact will provide the switched ground to the dual voltmeter ground terminal.

This switched ground may also be useful for "turning off" rocker switch illumination for those switches that get their power from an always on (not key on) power source, such as the AUX battery.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!