P1000 Ecu Reflash for cooling fan? Or is it more!

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are there any techs on the forum who would be willing to do the flash for those of who aren’t fortunate enough to have a willing dealer?

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2019 1000-5 we put tracks on. The second day we had it, it was idling in the yard and burped out coolant as it overheated. It did it two more times on a 20 degree day while traveling over the snow at around 29 mph. Each time it overheaded. I noticed the fan did not come on. I called my local dealer and was told to bring it in the next morning. I didn't even take it off the trailer. The tech. met me in the parking lot and did the flash. It has not overheated since. I also installed a fan over ride switch just in case. I didn't have enough time in it to notice if it change the performance.

I have a 2017 P1K-5. Lots of mountains around here and it immediately started overheating after 20 mins of climbing. Sometimes I would get 4 bars and a light, but many times it showed 2 bars and no light, while it boiled out the overflow (sometimes with the fan running, sometime not) Honda had no clue, it was this Forum that had the answer: park it on a 30 degree nose up slope with a cold engine. Pull the rad cap and idle it until the fan comes on. After several huge burps the problem was fixed. Apparently Honda doesn't take the time to properly bleed the system at the factory. The bleed procedure in their shop manual is garbage, tried it twice and didn't help at all. I still hit 3 bars on a long, slow speed climb, but it has never boiled again.... Will check into this Flash procedure, hopefully can be done on the 2017. Thanks all!

Reactions: 2018GMC and TripleB
C

Capnray

Aug 8, 2017
Crystal Falls, michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dealer will have to do it. Just tell them your having cooling fan problems and mention the reflash.

I've been doing every 1 that comes through even if the customer hadnt requested it.
Is there a reason why the re-flash can't be done on the 2016 models?

C

Crockett

Sep 29, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I called my dealer today and they said this new flash was for the Talon. Thats probably why it is not for 2016 or older. It might also explain why those that have had the flash now have more lower end torque and a different shifting pattern. They are now programmed like a Talon! If you add the after market turbo to your Pioneer you will have a hybrid....... We can call it a Taloneer!:D

H

HondaTech

I called my dealer today and they said this new flash was for the Talon. Thats probably why it is not for 2016 or older. It might also explain why those that have had the flash now have more lower end torque and a different shifting pattern. They are now programmed like a Talon! If you add the after market turbo to your Pioneer you will have a hybrid....... We can call it a Taloneer!:D

Well their full of s***.

C

Crockett

Sep 29, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well their full of s***.
I concur since the service bulletin says nothing about the Talon, only the 1000M models which Pioneers are. However, could the re-flash be designed for the Talon, therefore causing the change in shifting and such?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The Talon wasnt even out when the flash update became available!

H

HondaTech

I concur since the service bulletin says nothing about the Talon, only the 1000M models which Pioneers are. However, could the re-flash be designed for the Talon, therefore causing the change in shifting and such?

I doubt it, just some dealer who makes up s*** that sounds good.

H

HondaTech

Are there any techs on the forum who would be willing to do the flash for those of who aren’t fortunate enough to have a willing dealer?

If you were closer, I'd do everyone I could get my hands on.

I'd say its possible to swap ecms and update it through the units wire harness, then install the updated part back into the original machine.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you were closer, I'd do everyone I could get my hands on.

I'd say its possible to swap ecms and update it through the units wire harness, then install the updated part back into the original machine.
So you’re saying you could reflash mine if I sent it to you?

H

HondaTech

I've never tried it this way, not sure if this would actually work.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m assuming that the reflash is done through a data/com port located within the wiring harness vs. a stand alone diagnostic tool that plugs directly into the ECU?

H

HondaTech

I’m assuming that the reflash is done through a data/com port located within the wiring harness vs. a stand alone diagnostic tool that plugs directly into the ECU?

Yeah it's the red 4 pin under the seat.

I talked to my GM, he said that he thought the ECM swap should work.

If someone was willing to pay shipping both ways, we could try one and find out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it's the red 4 pin under the seat.

I talked to my GM, he said that he thought the ECM swap should work.

If someone was willing to pay shipping both ways, we could try one and find out.
Shipping info?

I’ll send it out Priority on Monday.

H

HondaTech

Shipping info?

I’ll send it out Priority on Monday.

Honda Of Fairfield
5467 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield, OH 45014

I need VIN and mileage from the unit as well.
How do you plan on paying for shipping back to yourself?

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda Of Fairfield
5467 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield, OH 45014

I need VIN and mileage from the unit as well.
How do you plan on paying for shipping back to yourself?

I might have to give you a ring a schedule this. HoT told me there was no update last week when I had it in for the gas peddle recall.

You are maybe an hour down the road from me, but that would be worth it from what I'm reading.

H

HondaTech

I might have to give you a ring a schedule this. HoT told me there was no update last week when I had it in for the gas peddle recall.

You are maybe an hour down the road from me, but that would be worth it from what I'm reading.

Give us a holler, we'll do any update/recall Honda is offering if your unit needs it.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a P1000 2018 model and have not received any tech notices, other than a recall for gas pedal potentially get stuck or something. I have however overheated when climbing big hills in low for extended period of times. As such I always watch the temp and if it hits 3 bars try to get to more level area for a while in high to let things cool down. Living in Utah though, got lots and lots of mountains to climb.
Ditto with my 2018 .... no problems with normal driving.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well my crappy dealer strikes again... The service adviser said he is 100% sure this reflash won't fix it and then told me it didn't even apply to my VIN. According to the bulletin posted it applies to ALL 2018 VIN's. I reluctantly had to leave the machine there, I will update tomorrow when I pick it up. Unfortunately I have no way to determine if the software actually gets updated other than if the drivabilty is drastically different. Anybody know if SCT Pro or HP Tuners software will read anything? I also have a buddy that has HONDATA. Maybe it will communicate with it?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!