P1000 Ecu Reflash for cooling fan? Or is it more!

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After an overheating issue and a post on here. I was given the knowledge of a tech notice that
Updates the fan "issue" since getting mine back here are some things that are completely different from before and after

I have had 3 chances from yesterday to today to ride around the block and give my honda hell after the ECU flash.
1- It feels like it has more low end power in high gear from a stand still mashing to the floor.
2- I noticed that in High it will redline when you floorboard it. Mine wouldn't before it would shift way sooner
3- It does not down shift as fast in High if I am running like 45 it will not shift down to the next gear when im slowing down. It kinda coasts.... alot more than I remember.
4- If I paddle shift while in Auto either up or down, It will stay in that gear ALOT longer than previous before switching back to Auto

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After an overheating issue and a post on here. I was given the knowledge of a tech notice that
Updates the fan "issue" since getting mine back here are some things that are completely different from before and after

I have had 3 chances from yesterday to today to ride around the block and give my honda hell after the ECU flash.
1- It feels like it has more low end power in high gear from a stand still mashing to the floor.
2- I noticed that in High it will redline when you floorboard it. Mine wouldn't before it would shift way sooner
3- It does not down shift as fast in High if I am running like 45 it will not shift down to the next gear when im slowing down. It kinda coasts.... alot more than I remember.
4- If I paddle shift while in Auto either up or down, It will stay in that gear ALOT longer than previous before switching back to Auto

What year is your machine? I have a 19 and like the thought of the flash changing the shift points as well as coasting more when slowing down instead of dropping through the gears. Keep us posted as you get more ride time under different conditions. I would also be interested to know if the flash improved the heat conditions.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What year is your machine? I have a 19 and like the thought of the flash changing the shift points as well as coasting more when slowing down instead of dropping through the gears. Keep us posted as you get more ride time under different conditions. I would also be interested to know if the flash improved the heat conditions.
Mine is a 2018. And the tech notice specifically said cooling fan issue/overheating issue. But there were alot of other changes

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks, @Leukic,
There have only been 1 or 2 other people report back on this "FAN" update. All have said similar things. This leads me to believe it more than a "fan" update. Plus, the fan has its own controller box. Why is the update no to it???

Thank you for your feedback.

Who else wants to get this "fan" update done? I will post full tech notes here in a little bit.

@Redmoon,
The 19's are supposed to come with this "fan" update. I know my 2019 drives totally different than my 2016. A lot smoother, longer shift points, and I can even hold it a 1 or 2 MPH without the clutch going crazy up and downshifting. And also Honda says its not available for the 2016 models.

Here is the documents.
279251ef3ec665bf07a2cb352ba3a4655a14a74a831664c1f0897a2d19a0c85a889c753e65ac9993f421d0c32c7c59ff

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and Plumber32
Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks, @Leukic,
There have only been 1 or 2 other people report back on this "FAN" update. All have said similar things. This leads me to believe it more than a "fan" update. Plus, the fan has its own controller box. Why is the update no to it???

Who else wants to get this "fan" update done? I will post full tech notes here in a little bit.

@Redmoon,
The 19's are supposed to come with this "fan" update. I know my 2019 drives totally different than my 2016. A lot smoother, longer shift points, and I can even hold it a 1 or 2 MPH without the clutch going crazy up and downshifting. And also Honda says its not available for the 2016 models.

Yes it is a different machine. I really love the coasting and not down shifting sooo fast. and the higher rev and shift points i like

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, @Leukic,

@Redmoon,

Thanks SxS. Mine drops through the gears what I consider fairly fast on deceleration. And again runs through the gears fairly fast on acceleration. When running in auto mode. I say this not having another to compare the shifting too. Maybe mine is just fine just seems fast though. HondaBob lives about 5mi. from me maybe I'll hook up with him and get his opinion.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I thought it was me! I noticed a quicker start, better acceleration and a lot more fan cycling. Happy to see it wasnt just me.
I was told the dealers and techs dont have any access to the software update particulars. It was a file that has to be downloaded and update directly to the vin specific machine.( At least on my machine)Had mine done in Feb of 19

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After much arguing my dealer finally agreed to flash my machine. Taking it in Saturday and will try to get a quick ride in when I leave.

Sb82

Sb82

May 8, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Is this re-flash a notice that Honda sent out, or do you just have to contact your dealer about it?

H

HondaTech

Is this re-flash a notice that Honda sent out, or do you just have to contact your dealer about it?

The dealer will have to do it. Just tell them your having cooling fan problems and mention the reflash.

I've been doing every 1 that comes through even if the customer hadnt requested it.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is your machine?

I contacted the only 2 dealers within an hour drive and told them it was randomly overheating and the fan would quit working. The 1st down right refused and he had no clue about the issue, but said i could bring it in and drop it off. The 2nd also wanted me to drop it off so 1 of his "skilled" techs could look at it and give a proper diagnosis. I told him I wasn't going to do that because I already knew his "skilled" tech would not be able to duplicate the issue and would say there is nothing wrong with it. He then eventually agreed to just perform the reflash and let me be on my way.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks SxS. Mine drops through the gears what I consider fairly fast on deceleration. And again runs through the gears fairly fast on acceleration. When running in auto mode. I say this not having another to compare the shifting too. Maybe mine is just fine just seems fast though. HondaBob lives about 5mi. from me maybe I'll hook up with him and get his opinion.
I pulled mine off the trailer and got on the road and floored it. Never ever would it redline in High

I contacted the only 2 dealers within an hour drive and told them it was randomly overheating and the fan would quit working. The 1st down right refused and he had no clue about the issue, but said i could bring it in and drop it off. The 2nd also wanted me to drop it off so 1 of his "skilled" techs could look at it and give a proper diagnosis. I told him I wasn't going to do that because I already knew his "skilled" tech would not be able to duplicate the issue and would say there is nothing wrong with it. He then eventually agreed to just perform the reflash and let me be on my way.

As soon as I mentioned Jan 2019 Tech notice that @Hondasxs told me to mention he looked it up and said drop it off. Came back next morning and it was done. The actual write up on it says only cooling fan overheating issue. But it does alot more.....

Reactions: Plumber32
J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a P1000 2018 model and have not received any tech notices, other than a recall for gas pedal potentially get stuck or something. I have however overheated when climbing big hills in low for extended period of times. As such I always watch the temp and if it hits 3 bars try to get to more level area for a while in high to let things cool down. Living in Utah though, got lots and lots of mountains to climb.

Reactions: SteveinUT
Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a P1000 2018 model and have not received any tech notices, other than a recall for gas pedal potentially get stuck or something. I have however overheated when climbing big hills in low for extended period of times. As such I always watch the temp and if it hits 3 bars try to get to more level area for a while in high to let things cool down. Living in Utah though, got lots and lots of mountains to climb.

I didnt receive one either. I searched overheating issues and then made my own post here and @Hondasxs chimed in and told me.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You would not receive this in the mail. It is a "upon request" update. A good honda only dealer should know about it. A good multi line dealer will look it up. All the others suck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You would not receive this in the mail. It is a "upon request" update. A good honda only dealer should know about it. A good multi line dealer will look it up. All the others suck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately my dealers seem to fall in the All Others category...

D

DanAFT

Oct 23, 2018
Kalifornia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2019 1000-5 we put tracks on. The second day we had it, it was idling in the yard and burped out coolant as it overheated. It did it two more times on a 20 degree day while traveling over the snow at around 29 mph. Each time it overheaded. I noticed the fan did not come on. I called my local dealer and was told to bring it in the next morning. I didn't even take it off the trailer. The tech. met me in the parking lot and did the flash. It has not overheated since. I also installed a fan over ride switch just in case. I didn't have enough time in it to notice if it change the performance.

Reactions: TripleB
D

DaveR

Oct 17, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just schedule a time to take care of the recall, and mention about the overheating issue. I took mine to monarch Honda in Orem, they where great about it. Mine was overheating randomly in the mountains too. It seems a lot better now!

Reactions: SteveinUT

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!