P1000 Ecu Reflash for cooling fan? Or is it more!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@HondaTech do you think a reflash on a ‘16 is possible? I’m wondering about mode memory working on an older model.

H

HondaTech

Well my crappy dealer strikes again... The service adviser said he is 100% sure this reflash won't fix it and then told me it didn't even apply to my VIN. According to the bulletin posted it applies to ALL 2018 VIN's. I reluctantly had to leave the machine there, I will update tomorrow when I pick it up. Unfortunately I have no way to determine if the software actually gets updated other than if the drivabilty is drastically different. Anybody know if SCT Pro or HP Tuners software will read anything? I also have a buddy that has HONDATA. Maybe it will communicate with it?

I doubt Hondata will even recognize the Pioneer, dont believe the other stuff will either.

When we plug our Diagnostic equipment up and select ECM update, it tells us the current version of the software and the available update. It will only let us update if the update applies to that unit.

Your dealer needs a nice friendly call to Honda customer service, make them stand behind their stupid ass statements. Even if they don't think it will fix whatever issue your having, it's free money they can get and maybe get your unit back quicker.

I dont understand why dealers dont want to do this, it pays .3 of and hour. All you have to do is hit a few buttons and walk away, theres no need to even stand there and watch it do the update. I usually do it while I'm changing the oil or whatever else is being done to the unit.

H

HondaTech

@HondaTech do you think a reflash on a ‘16 is possible? I’m wondering about mode memory working on an older model.

I dont think the equipment will recognize the ECM as updatable. It automatically selects the file for the ECM that's connected up.

I think I looked somewhere once for someone and the mode memory has extra wiring that the '16 doesn't.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I doubt Hondata will even recognize the Pioneer, dont believe the other stuff will either.

When we plug our Diagnostic equipment up and select ECM update, it tells us the current version of the software and the available update. It will only let us update if the update applies to that unit.

Your dealer needs a nice friendly call to Honda customer service, make them stand behind their stupid ass statements. Even if they don't think it will fix whatever issue your having, it's free money they can get and maybe get your unit back quicker.

I dont understand why dealers dont want to do this, it pays .3 of and hour. All you have to do is hit a few buttons and walk away, theres no need to even stand there and watch it do the update. I usually do it while I'm changing the oil or whatever else is being done to the unit.

Oh I will be calling Honda when I get my machine back. In the amount of time he spent arguing with me he could've been done. He also told me I should have taken it back to my selling dealership. I said it looks like it because they were GREAT to deal with but I figured any Honda dealer could handle a simple 20 minute flash but I guess I was wrong. He then said well this thing will take 3-4 hours to update. I find that hard to believe when I can reflash a Lexus LS 460 that has 37 modules in about 20 minutes.

Anyways he never called like he said he would "after they diagnosed it" so I'm just going to show up and get my machine. I will advise when I get the machine back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

Oh I will be calling Honda when I get my machine back. In the amount of time he spent arguing with me he could've been done. He also told me I should have taken it back to my selling dealership. I said it looks like it because they were GREAT to deal with but I figured any Honda dealer could handle a simple 20 minute flash but I guess I was wrong. He then said well this thing will take 3-4 hours to update. I find that hard to believe when I can reflash a Lexus LS 460 that has 37 modules in about 20 minutes.

Anyways he never called like he said he would "after they diagnosed it" so I'm just going to show up and get my machine. I will advise when I get the machine back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I could do a full service w/ valve adjustment, reflash the ECM, and install the clutch update and seat heat kit in 4 hours. Could most likely get the muffler and throttle pedal recalls done as well.

Why are these dealers so full of s***, no wonder nobody wants to take their stuff back to the dealer for work. When your being blatantly lied to about something that is so obviously not true I dont blame you.

I've only ever mentioned the selling dealer thing if it's something that I believe that dealer should make right, like if they did something wrong or lied to you about something. But I take you bringing your machine that you purchased at another dealer as a way to show that we dont care where it came from, it's still a Honda. It's a chance to prove ourselves, so maybe next time you'll come to us to buy a unit. You can't keep customers by telling them to go back where they came from.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could do a full service w/ valve adjustment, reflash the ECM, and install the clutch update and seat heat kit in 4 hours. Could most likely get the muffler and throttle pedal recalls done as well.

Why are these dealers so full of s***, no wonder nobody wants to take their stuff back to the dealer for work. When your being blatantly lied to about something that is so obviously not true I dont blame you.

I've only ever mentioned the selling dealer thing if it's something that I believe that dealer should make right, like if they did something wrong or lied to you about something. But I take you bringing your machine that you purchased at another dealer as a way to show that we dont care where it came from, it's still a Honda. It's a chance to prove ourselves, so maybe next time you'll come to us to buy a unit. You can't keep customers by telling them to go back where they came from.

Customer Service seems like a lost art these days. After the conversation here, I have already decided if there are anymore flashes/updates available, I'm going to just ship the ECM to you and let you do it.

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
HONDATA will not communicate with a SxS. The language that a SxS speaks is totally different than what a car speaks. We are now able to control radiator fan temps as part of our reflash on the Talon and will be able to do the same with the Pioneer soon.

Nate
Alba Racing

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I went to pick up my machine yesterday and the dealer says there is still no update available for it. He said they let it idle for 3 hours and it never overheated (not happy about them letting it idle for 3 hours and I called Honda Customer Care). I start it to load it up before I lose my mind on this guy and notice a half U where the P should be and the AT MT lights are both lit up. So obviously I leave the machine there again and he calls today saying they had to do a clutch relearn. It didn't need a relearn when I dropped it off. My question is what did they do to it to need to do a relearn? Is a relearn needed after it has been flashed? @HondaTech

H

HondaTech

Sounds like they tried a clutch relearn and it didnt take or they didnt let it complete.

The "U" means the machine is in a clutch relearn state and isnt warm enough to complete the relearn.

The only side effect I've ever seen from the ECM update has been a DTC for CAN communication failure and Honda says to always check for any DTC before and after the update. Then test the unit for proper operation afterwards to make sure the DTC wasnt a problem.

They tell us a DTC (code, whatever you want to call it) can occur afte the update and to just clear it and check that it doesnt come back. I think it's mainly a LE model issue dealing with the i-4wd unit.

I have seen the dash flash while doing the update, but have been told that's a side effect of the ECM being rewritten and the display just not knowing what's going on

You may have mentioned it before but what year is your P1K?

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like they tried a clutch relearn and it didnt take or they didnt let it complete.

The "U" means the machine is in a clutch relearn state and isnt warm enough to complete the relearn.

The only side effect I've ever seen from the ECM update has been a DTC for CAN communication failure and Honda says to always check for any DTC before and after the update. Then test the unit for proper operation afterwards to make sure the DTC wasnt a problem.

They tell us a DTC (code, whatever you want to call it) can occur afte the update and to just clear it and check that it doesnt come back. I think it's mainly a LE model issue dealing with the i-4wd unit.

I have seen the dash flash while doing the update, but have been told that's a side effect of the ECM being rewritten and the display just not knowing what's going on

You may have mentioned it before but what year is your P1K?

It is a 2018 Deluxe. Don't have the VIN handy but the Honda Customer Rep said the bulletin would apply to it and update is available, Dealer still says it does not though. I'm just curious if they did reflash it and for some reason he doesn't want to tell me. Is there anyway I would be able to tell if they did the ECM update?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a 2018 Deluxe. Don't have the VIN handy but the Honda Customer Rep said the bulletin would apply to it and update is available, Dealer still says it does not though. I'm just curious if they did reflash it and for some reason he doesn't want to tell me. Is there anyway I would be able to tell if they did the ECM update?
That's what I was curious too, is if there is a way to check??? Supposedly my dealer says they performed it before they sold it to me, but I've had it overheat 2 times without the fan coming on. One was actually last night putting around about 10 mph after turning it off from a long ride. I've been watching the temp like a hawk so I caught it pretty fast, but still a pain to keep an eye on it. I turned it off and started it like they said and the fan came on just like everything was normal. Hoping they actually didn't reflash because if they did it has helped me.

H

HondaTech

Outacntrl: 494614 said:

Your Rep was correct, every 2017 and 2018 models are eligible for the update.

The only way i'm aware of to identify the ECM software version is to have our MCS diagnostic equipment. Unless one of the guys who have tuned the P!K and Talon ECM have access to that info.

Sorry your having so many problems, I dont understand why the dealer is being so difficult about applying the update, unless its truly already have been done. But if that was the case, then I think they would be telling you its been done already instead of telling you it doesnt apply to your machine.

Last edited:
J

Jeremyr8865

Aug 24, 2019
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dealer will have to do it. Just tell them your having cooling fan problems and mention the reflash.

I've been doing every 1 that comes through even if the customer hadnt requested it.
I do the same at the car dealership with all updates that come out. I've been having this issue the last 2 rides that were longer than normal ride time on my rig. The fan is running just not fast enough

CASTRATE

CASTRATE

Jun 23, 2019
NE OKLAHOMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe I'm just gonna rig up a switch to fire the fan up if needed. I'm often times in situations where I don't really have the time to pause & shut the machine off

C

Capnray

Aug 8, 2017
Crystal Falls, michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, @Leukic,
There have only been 1 or 2 other people report back on this "FAN" update. All have said similar things. This leads me to believe it more than a "fan" update. Plus, the fan has its own controller box. Why is the update no to it???

Thank you for your feedback.

Who else wants to get this "fan" update done? I will post full tech notes here in a little bit.

@Redmoon,
The 19's are supposed to come with this "fan" update. I know my 2019 drives totally different than my 2016. A lot smoother, longer shift points, and I can even hold it a 1 or 2 MPH without the clutch going crazy up and downshifting. And also Honda says its not available for the 2016 models.

Here is the documents.
View attachment 144712View attachment 144713View attachment 144714
Dos

C

Capnray

Aug 8, 2017
Crystal Falls, michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, @Leukic,
There have only been 1 or 2 other people report back on this "FAN" update. All have said similar things. This leads me to believe it more than a "fan" update. Plus, the fan has its own controller box. Why is the update no to it???

Thank you for your feedback.

Who else wants to get this "fan" update done? I will post full tech notes here in a little bit.

@Redmoon,
The 19's are supposed to come with this "fan" update. I know my 2019 drives totally different than my 2016. A lot smoother, longer shift points, and I can even hold it a 1 or 2 MPH without the clutch going crazy up and downshifting. And also Honda says its not available for the 2016 models.

Here is the documents.
View attachment 144712View attachment 144713View attachment 144714
Does anyone know why this"reset" is not available on the '16 model year?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does anyone know why this"reset" is not available on the '16 model year?
Dont think the 16's had the fan/overheating trouble. Think most if not all 16's overheating was caused by air trapped in the system.

Reactions: lee
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I believe I'm just gonna rig up a switch to fire the fan up if needed. I'm often times in situations where I don't really have the time to pause & shut the machine off

I believe the @Hondasxs store has a wiring harness you can plug in and it will allow you to flip a switch to turn your fan on at any time...

C

Capnray

Aug 8, 2017
Crystal Falls, michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dont think the 16's had the fan/overheating trouble. Think most if not all 16's overheating was caused by air trapped in the system.
Thanks for the quick reply. Machine seems to be working fine. I'm sure they'll let me know if there is an issue. I did update the air box to the newer version.

C

Crockett

Sep 29, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Had my 2018 deluxe flashed at the dealership. I can honestly say I do not notice any difference in the shifting.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!