P500 ECU replacement

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
Hey everyone, I’m new on here and I’m looking for a little help. Blew my Ecu fuse and when I replace the fuse it just blows again, so I think I need a new Ecu, has anyone bought one off eBay, are they plug and go? Please any help, don’t want to go thru Honda

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey everyone, I’m new on here and I’m looking for a little help. Blew my Ecu fuse and when I replace the fuse it just blows again, so I think I need a new Ecu, has anyone bought one off eBay, are they plug and go? Please any help, don’t want to go thru Honda
I'm betting the 15-16 are probably the same, while the 17-up are the same, but have no way to confirm....BUT...

I'd unplug the ecm connectors under the seat and see if the fuse still blows. I'd suspect a short more than an ECM (but it does happen).

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
I'm betting the 15-16 are probably the same, while the 17-up are the same, but have no way to confirm....BUT...

I'd unplug the ecm connectors under the seat and see if the fuse still blows. I'd suspect a short more than an ECM (but it does happen).

I’ll give a try in the morning, if it doesn’t blow the fuse I’ll have to order a new one I guess

Reactions: DG Rider
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am with @DG Rider on this. I would bet it has a short somewhere in the wiring harness.

Reactions: Duckhunt
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
seems more likely to me too, look for areas close to the frame or goes though bulkhead

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
seems more likely to me too, look for areas close to the frame or goes though bulkhead
So I just removed the ECU on the machine turned the key, it's trying to start and the fuse is fine. So I'm thinking of don't have a short bit the ECU died, why do you guys think??

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I just removed the ECU on the machine turned the key, it's trying to start and the fuse is fine. So I'm thinking of don't have a short bit the ECU died, why do you guys think??
Sounds like something internal to your ECM.

advertisement
Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
I am not sure you will find one on ebay in a timely manner.
I would suggest Rocky Mountain for parts.
They are competitive with most online dealers.
Thanks ill take a look and see what i can find. And thanks everyone , once i get a new Ecu ill update when it’s running

Reactions: Chooglin
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would still inspect the wiring. maybe check continuity between fuse and ecm plug?
Removing the ECM will jostle around the wiring. It could be removing the short right now. putting it back in place could re-introduce the short. And you would condemn a brand new ECM. Not to mention electrical stuff isn't typically returnable.

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
I would still inspect the wiring. maybe check continuity between fuse and ecm plug?
Removing the ECM will jostle around the wiring. It could be removing the short right now. putting it back in place could re-introduce the short. And you would condemn a brand new ECM. Not to mention electrical stuff isn't typically returnable.
I will take a good look at all the wires this weekend, and make sure there is good connection and no problems in the wires.

Reactions: Mudder and Chooglin
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Correct me if I am wrong but in disconnecting the ECM all he tested was the wiring to the ECM as there is power up to connector. Any wiring after the ECM would not short out as the connector is disconnected and no power exiting. The next step would be to visually check the wiring and/or use a tester. Just thinking.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will take a good look at all the wires this weekend, and make sure there is good connection and no problems in the wires.
I would be more comfortable personally knowing the wiring was good before shelling out the $$ for an ECM.

Reactions: rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
O K checked my service manual and can't find ECM listed. What does Honda call it.

C

Chooglin

Part number 14

Screenshot 2019 03 29 14 00 22 Screenshot 2019 03 29 14 00 29

Reactions: rtn001 and trigger
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!