Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So is there a chance my Ecm is good and the wiring after is causing the short?
Correct. Something would have made the ECM go bad.
Can you post a pic of the ECM? you might be able to see the PCB for a bad spot.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
So is there a chance my Ecm is good and the wiring after is causing the short?
If I remember my electrical trouble shooting 101 it just could be. I would do everything I could to make sure before I spent the $$$ for a new one. I had good luck with eday and Amazon parts for my Kawasaki. I would attempt to get a Honda part if it is to be had.

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
Correct. Something would have made the ECM go bad.
Can you post a pic of the ECM? you might be able to see the PCB for a bad spot.

653B01A0 AE45 4BAD ABC5 2AA5D9C53C77 EBC6228A 500E 4345 8B12 63F1C8B73D38 CAC4E053 4ADA 467E 988C DF5A36F80F43

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
If water got into one of those connectors could that of caused it to just turn off while riding, and blow the fuse???

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
If water got into one of those connectors could that of caused it to just turn off while riding, and blow the fuse???
If water completed the circuit between the power lead and a groung yes it could blow the fuse. If you got water in a connector dry it with a heat gun or a hair dryer. Put dielectric grease on the connector. Plug it in and see if it blows. If you haven't done it yet you need to put dielectric grease in all the connectors. You can get it at any parts store. I get mine at Walmart in the automotive section where the head light bulbs are. They call it bulb grease. Just wondering. Have you checked to see if you are throwing any trouble codes? I don't know how it works but there is a thread on here about it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's highly unlikely to be the ECU, my guess is you've got a short in something that is energized by the ECU....fuel pump relay, ignition circuit, etc. The sealed units used in powersport applications rarely fail...it can happen but as others said, check everything else first.

Reactions: rtn001
advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Don’t overdue the dielectric grease. It’ll hydraulically push the connector pins out of the housing.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I have been working on my 2015 P5 over the past week and removed interior plastics and floor and unplugged my PGM-FI (ECU) and set it aside on the work bench. Completed wiring to support dual battery and turned my dual battery switch from Off to On to restore power to electrical. Tried to turn the key to check power and...nothing:mad:. Mounted the fuse block up front so checked for power and I had AUX power. Then checked stock battery where I extended power and ground and I had power. Hmmmmm

Sat there contemplating what I could have done wrong and then realized I did not have the (ECU) connected. So I grabbed it from the bench and carefully plugged it in and the turned the battery switch again from Off to On and then tried turning the ignition switch again and this time...

Power...Glorious Power:)

So I told this story after reading the last few posts about disconnecting it and the P5 still wanting to start.

Assuming they can’t start with a disconnected PGM-FI (ECU) as mine could not. I think this would indicate a short somewhere. What do you guys thinko_O

Gambled22

Gambled22

Oct 19, 2016
Ft.lauderdale
Ownership

1. 500
Hey everyone and sorry about the delay, i just got the ecm i ordered, plugged it in and everything works now, i am definitely going to make those connectors stay dry from now on and hit them with the grease. Just want to say thanks for all the help narrowing this down.. cant wait to have it out riding again in

C

Chooglin

Hey everyone and sorry about the delay, i just got the ecm i ordered, plugged it in and everything works now, i am definitely going to make those connectors stay dry from now on and hit them with the grease. Just want to say thanks for all the help narrowing this down.. cant wait to have it out riding again in
Great news , glad to hear she's running again!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!