P1000 Educate me gentleman because I have a question about getting stuck!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Worst scenario. Very bottom of an incline during a heavy rain in an area already slick with mud.

The conditions where I live in western North Carolina with the type soil, one drop of rain turns it into an ice skating rink.

Went to the very bottom on a road that I closed off and don't use as a test run for the OEM tires and my tires just spun and spun and spun as I was trying to back up as there is no place to turn around...I thought

Couldn't get it in axle lock no matter how hard I tried which is very irritating and when I did get it to go in once, it didn't help whatsoever so went back to regular 4x4.

Now intuitively I knew, just knew that if I could get the thing turned around I could climb out of there facing forward.

Not to be confused with knowing why but just knowing it would which is what this post is about.

Noticed in the process of backing up she kept sliding sideways and I used this to my advantage and was able to actually completely turn around by constantly turning the wheel and sliding until it did a 180... Reminded me why i have to stop being lazy and get my rear winch assembled and wired and not still sitting in my storage shed!

It wasn't exactly easy, but after spinning the tires much faster than I should have I was able to get out of there in a couple few minutes once I got it turned around.

For the life of me I cannot understand why? I knew it would, but I don't know WHY it would.

I thought maybe the weight of the engine but this is not like my big truck with all the weight on the front.

So can anyone explain to me why in reverse I couldn't get out but going forward she climbed right out of there? The concept behind it?

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Directional tread?? More gears to work with?? Rear end was locked and now had the majority of the weight on it?? I've heard the front end, even when in lock isn't truly locked, but that's just what I heard. Beats me.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The tires may be designed to shed mud while going forward. Do they have a chevron pattern?

Reactions: Farmerjohn
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes directional and boy you hit the nail on the head !!!

Soon as I read that I knew!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My thought are the wheels are able to spin faster in drive than reverse and that increased speed or rotation was the solution to your slippery situation

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
The tires may be designed to shed mud while going forward. Do they have a chevron pattern?
Directional tires and also the rear had most of the weight if When you got turned around and were in a slight incline. With no four wheel drive to start with you probably sunk the back tires to just spin originally. Also you have more wheel speed in forward which means better cleaning of the tires.

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Dragfoot and company!

Nothing like asking a question and five miliseconds later having an answer :)

Reactions: ChadMarti
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Directional tires and also the rear had most of the weight if When you got turned around and were in a slight incline. With no four wheel drive to start with you probably sunk the back tires to just spin originally. Also you have more wheel speed in forward which means better cleaning of the tires.

I wasn't spinning in place, I could definitely move 10 to 15 feet but I just got to the point wouldn't go further and spun uselessly. Being on an incline that's what allowed me to slide sideways and turning around

I coasted back down to the bottom and tried again over and over and over but they had a point it just wouldn't go until I got turned around.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Justification for my reasoning... I used to get stuck in the mud and was able to move back and forth with no success. I was educated that shifting to a higher gear would increase rotation and have a different result. I argued that it would not make a difference, but was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked!

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sounds like you were having a little adventure! To educate you on getting stuck, if you didn't winch yourself out or get pulled out you were never stuck to begin with. You were just in a bind lol. Be safe.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Justification for my reasoning... I used to get stuck in the mud and was able to move back and forth with no success. I was educated that shifting to a higher gear would increase rotation and have a different result. I argued that it would not make a difference, but was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked!
That increased speed allows the tire to clean out and give you traction, that's why it helps.

Reactions: Eltobgi and KevinSC
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Hi gear does definitely increase the rotation but I also think that once the tire is completely caked up it becomes a racing slick.

But, if it spins faster it could allow the cleats to clean themselves vs low so yes it could work!!

Reactions: Eltobgi
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Hi gear does definitely increase the rotation but I also think that once the tire is completely caked up it becomes a racing slick.

But, if it spins faster it could allow the cleats to clean themselves bs low so yes it could work!!
There is a reason mud trucks go as fast as possible with as much tire speed as possible. Yes it's to stay on top the mud but also to keep the tires clean

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Check this video for a great example of what wheel speed can do for you in the mud. It's only 4 minutes but worth it. There are several trucks with HUGE tires and then the little red Ford at the end.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Check this video for a great example of what wheel speed can do for you in the mud. It's only 4 minutes but worth it. There are several trucks with HUGE tires and then the little red Ford at the end.

Yep you can have the biggest tires in the world, but if you don't have the motor to keep them clean you will stick every time.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Great video!

What I noticed right off was the height of the cleats. The tires on that truck had cleats that seem to be visually from my view much taller and much deeper than the rest.

And yes the engine power no doubt helped but take a look at that again and that's what I think did it, it paddled across!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It sounds like you were having a little adventure! To educate you on getting stuck, if you didn't winch yourself out or get pulled out you were never stuck to begin with. You were just in a bind lol. Be safe.

But, but, but, who needs a winch when you have a Pioneer 1000???? :)

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Love that video. The key to what the Ford did was a combination of tire design and power. He was able to get enough tire speed and the paddle like design of the tread kept him up out the mud and moving forward. Something also should be said for the driver knowing what he is doing.

Sidenote to that video.......wonder what nitrous would do for my P1K?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!