EMP-proof my P1000?

OldToby

OldToby

Supporting Member
Aug 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my continuing efforts to spend money on hobbies, I’m thinking of EMP-proofing my 2018 P1000 and wonder if anyone has thoughts. My initial thought is to identify all parts that would be fried/disabled by an EMP, get replacements for those parts, print hard-copy instructions for r/r, then stow everything in a Faraday cage. Has anyone thought this through and come up with a list of vulnerable parts?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
In my continuing efforts to spend money on hobbies, I’m thinking of EMP-proofing my 2018 P1000 and wonder if anyone has thoughts. My initial thought is to identify all parts that would be fried/disabled by an EMP, get replacements for those parts, print hard-copy instructions for r/r, then stow everything in a Faraday cage. Has anyone thought this through and come up with a list of vulnerable parts?
@100Acre lol

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Ahh. Thanks. I had a strange experience apparently caused by that phenomenon.

I had a new at the time '06 Dodge Ram-Cummins diesel dually and we were in Nashville at the winter home of the Grand Ol Opry for a performance of the Rockettes my wife wanted to see. It was just before Christmas and was an afternoon performance, clear and sunny but a little cold. We were in the theater for about two hours for the show. When we returned to the truck the electric door locks would not open with the remotes. I used my key to unlock and we got in the truck and sat down.

The starter would spin the engine with the key and the engine would start momentarily then shut down. It would not run. I tried it repeatedly without success and sat there wondering, "what the hell was going on?"

The radio had lost it's saved stations also. That gave me a clue.

Suspecting a scrambled computer I got out and removed the ground lead clamps on both batteries. I sat in the truck for about 15 minutes then reconnected the battery grounds and tried again.

The engine fired up as normal and everything was back to normal except we had to reprogram favorites into the radio.

I never knew but assumed a powerful radar in the area swept the truck and wiped computer memories. Dodge keys had and probably still have a code in the fob that the truck has to read or the truck would fire, start, and shut down immediately.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An EMP or electromagnetic pulse is usually created by a line of sight nuclear device detonated in the upper atmosphere say above Nebraska or Kansas. Which would wipe out the entire electrical grid for the whole country. What it does is basically electrically charges the atmosphere and it is a trickle down effect causing widespread power outages and fries anything with a modern day computer chip. This can also be caused by the sun and what is called a CME or coronal mass ejection. This happened around I want to say something like 1859 and was known as the Carrington effect. The only thing that we have that was run on electricity was the telegraph wires and it fried many of the telegraph wires, it burned down some of the telegraph buildings and, caused many telegraph signal is for lack of better word to act out on their own so the things that we send SOS and all that stuff the little clicker things were just click away without anybody touching them.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am obviously no expert but if you have a way to park your pioneer 1000 inside a faraday cage or metal building that was sealed and may be grounded? Of course with the rubber tires it may not affect it if it was just in a steel building with no openings maybe?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!